Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 jerks every time it stops

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to add my 1 cent... I too have issue with D and Auto Stop dis-engaged. I think the RPMs at idle are just too low and dip even lower as if to Auto Stop but it checks last minute and corrects itself, causing the engine to stumble. It definitely needs a fix.

The default also needs to be changed where Auto Stop is not engaged unless the button is pressed.

When Auto Stop is engaged the Base RPM has to come up a hair, and it’s too quick to shut off. It should only consider shutting off at a complete stop and the brake pedal force is Med-High. As is it shuts off a hair before the car stops, then checks the force and will turn back on if the force is light. This works like crap.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dealer again for this issue, they said in their TSB (technical service bulletin), jerking means the car is still learning your driving habit. Give it time and the problem will go away.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rentonrenton
I went to the dealer again for this issue, they said in their TSB (technical service bulletin), jerking means the car is still learning your driving habit. Give it time and the problem will go away.
How many miles have you logged? I’m at 2k and still have the shudder.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frogs9497
How many miles have you logged? I’m at 2k and still have the shudder.
only 500km
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also noticed that a driving behavior monitoring device can worsen this problem. That device is offered by my insurance company. Basically, the device can monitor your driving behavior, so the more your drive responsibly, the more premium you will save next year. I'm not sure if it is used in the US. Anyway, the device is plugged into the purple color port under the dash board. And you can remove it anytime you want, especially before taking your car to service or diagnosis.
I'm not saying removing the device will solve the jerking problem. But somehow, I kinda feel that after plugging the device in, jerking happens every time I come to a stop. Without the device, the jerking doesn't feel that obvious. But either way, the jerks are still there.

Is it just something in my head or the device is really affecting the car in a bad way?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't comment on the device from the insurance company, but their lack of liability should the device hurt the car in any way, turned me off and told them no thanks. I'm sure it's only reading, not sending so probably not impacting it, but if there is a short in the thing, the insurance company sure won't be held accountable according to the terms I read.

Anyhow, I'm begging someone to VAG the car and change the default to off unless the button is pressed....
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jester7677
Can't comment on the device from the insurance company, but their lack of liability should the device hurt the car in any way, turned me off and told them no thanks. I'm sure it's only reading, not sending so probably not impacting it, but if there is a short in the thing, the insurance company sure won't be held accountable according to the terms I read.

Anyhow, I'm begging someone to VAG the car and change the default to off unless the button is pressed....
You mean the auto start/stop button?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Macans had the same issue in the 15' model. They issued a TSB and we all came in to have our transmissions flashed with new software. Problem gone.

I hope Audi doesn't make owners beg for this same kind of fix. So far, it sounds as if they are making excuses and not really looking into the issue.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
Porsche Macans had the same issue in the 15' model. They issued a TSB and we all came in to have our transmissions flashed with new software. Problem gone.

I hope Audi doesn't make owners beg for this same kind of fix. So far, it sounds as if they are making excuses and not really looking into the issue.
Agree
Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also noticed that if I suddenly take my foot off the brake pedal before I almost stopped, the jerking can be avoided. (Just a testing, not a safe work around, you have to make sure it's safe enough not to make a full stop)
And also, during traffic jam assist or ACC, when the car stopped automatically, I don't feel any jerking.

So it is related to braking manually?

Quick Reply: Q5 jerks every time it stops