Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5/SQ5 Reported Issues and Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Q5/SQ5 Reported Issues and Fixes

Since WeHoGuy started a thread on Tips, Tricks, Hacks & Quirks, I thought I'd start a companion post on Q5 reported issues (problems or nuisances) and fixes or workarounds if any. The overlap between our lists is relatively small. As part of deliberations before placing my SQ5 order, I read as many posts on this site as possible. It's easy to get overwhelmed with the number of complaints or issues reported on this site and seeing them all in one place helped me evaluate the information better and put it into perspective. Having compiled the list, I conclude that most all of the problems are minor nuisances. Granted, if my new SQ5 had all of them, I would be bummed, but most experience only a few of the issues. I hope this is useful for others. Feel free to correct with any inaccuracies. My research only went back into mid November and I only included problems which seemed not to be isolated to one or two individuals. "Fix" means: Fix or Workaround. As fixes are found, I'll keep this first post updated with the info for those that follow.

UPDATES:
6/25/2020 - added item 37
7/20/2020 - added TSB to item 18 and added #38
10/7/2020 - added item #39 - Drive System Malfunction (limp mode)

Audi Q5 / SQ5 issues
1) Issue: Sensitivity issue with the rain sensing windshield wiper system. Fix: Program to disable the auto sensing wipers in the MMI settings. It then defaults to manually adjustable intermittent.
2) Issue: hesitation or turbo lag - slow to accelerate after coming to a stop. Some say it's not turbo lag – perhaps tuning/programming or PreSense related. Fix: Sport mode reduces the lag
3) Issue: shuddering or shaking when coming to a stop. Fix: some dealers have made software change to fix the problem. No details on the fix. This might be a Q5 specific due to the nature of the 7 Speed Dual Clutch Transmission
4) Issue: left window wiper touches left side edge. Fix: dealer can re-time or otherwise adjust the wipers
5) Issue: Poor braking power. Fix: brakes need time to “brake in.” Alternatively, you can bed your pads.
6) Issue: top-view camera reverts to graphic mode. Fix: TSB 2053028/1 - See this post by jaims which contains a download link describing the TSB
7) Issue: Rear Cross Traffic Alert too sensitive - slams on the brakes when not warranted. Fix: None reported. Make sure not conflicting with garage electronics.
8) Issue: clicking when accelerating - Clicking happens @ 25mph – It's the ABS being calibrated with each startup. Fix: None - as designed
9) Issue: ticking noise from center console or under driver's seat - electronics detecting key fob need to communicate with the rear antenna instead of the front one. Fix: Replace center console antennae - see this post by gburlingame
10) Issue: seat heaters don’t get very hot. Occurs when equipped with both cold weather package and warm weather package.
Fix: (Thanks to rbreeze)Using Vagcom or OBDeleven increase temperature of heaters up to +5 deg. C for each of the heat settings (Low, Med, High) in (09) Central Electrics (in Adaptation)
11) Issue: air con console blowing hot air out one side. Fix: no reports of if and how this got resolved.
12) Issue: excessive oil consumption. Fix: Audi says within "normal" range
13) Issue: day / night mode sensitivity incorrect for navigation map - Night map coming on even in bright day. Fix: Change light sensitivity to “late” or Speak "Day Map" (puts it in manual mode and then one has to say it all the time)
14) Issue: Not returning to XM Radio Presets - defaulting to the standard XM list of 1-100 (is this also true for FM?). Fix: TSB 2052896/1
15) Issue: Apple Carplay freezing - When pre sense sensors go off and then engage CarPlay again, it freezes. Fix: None
16) Issue: Start / Stop – Annoying to many and perhaps even dangerous in some situations.
Fix
: Three solutions have been given (the first has proven more reliable)
a) This method fools the car into disabling start/stop because of perceived constant demand for power.
08 Air Conditioning > Adaptation > A/C comfort parameter for start-stop function
Old value: 5 => New value: 0
b) This method turns start/stop off much of the time but randomly reactivates. (Thanks to fignewton)
09 Central Electric >Adaptation > pull-down menu: IDE04159 "Deactivation of Auto Start Stop Function"
Default position: "Not Active"
Change to "Active"
c) Remember the last setting – no confirmation this works or even exists as an option on the Q5
09-Cent Elec > Adaptation > Channel 34 > hit Read button (it should show the factory default number)
subtract 4 to the value > Start & Stop always disabled
add 32 to the value > remember last status
add 64 to the value to reverse the Start & Stop button light: off if Start & Stop is disabled, and on if Start & Stop is enabled.
17) Issue - Lift Gate Open with Foot – unreliable. Fix: Stand close, kick foot straight in and straight back out under center of bumper, step back and wait a second.
18) Issue: Driver seat squeak with bumps. Fix: Link to TSB: 72 20 24 2059448/1 May 11, 2020. Also, Lubricate the seat. Possibly, don't have seat fully lowered.
19) Issue: Door unlock/lock with Door Handle Sensors – Finicky. Fix: Avoid grabbing handle as touching front sensor and back of handle gives mixed signals. For locking, touch outside of handle only (e.g. with back of hand). For unlocking, use fingers only behind the handle.
20) Issue: Virtual Cockpit too bright even on low.
Fix
: (Thanks to wires)
OBDEleven settings - The X is how much the **** is change, the Y is the brightness. X1 is the lowest setting, and that goes up from there. I found X1/Y1 wasn't even applicable on my vehicle (no change, or the **** doesn't turn left enough to hit those points).
Adaptation Control unit: 17 Dash Board
Name: dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_middle_dis play_main_field
Y2: Old value: 2 => New value: 0
Y1: Old value: 2 => New value: 0
21) Issue: When using Android Auto and the phone is paired with Bluetooth, getting notification: "Allow <car> to access your messages?"Android Auto is set up to automatically pair with car's Bluetooth, and AA wants to manage this connection. Problem happens when phone is paired independently of AA. Fix: Bug reported to Google - no fix as of yet. Workaround - delete pairing in MMI & phone's BT settings, THEN plug in phone with AA and it should work properly.
22) Issue: Sunroof rattling due to faulty lining / seal in sunroof. Fix: Dealer needs to take out the sunroof and replace the liner.
23) Issue: Window auto up/down disabled after ignition off; Fix: None
24) Issue: Trunk closing – No option to increase remote key range for closing luggage compartment lid (Audi has it set to approximately 4 feet – per the manual).
Fix: (From Q7 forum – this may or may not work with the Q5 luggage compartment)
Increase the range limit of the Key Fob. This may also introduce (or increase) the center console ticking.
Mode 46 - Central Module Comfort System > Coding > comfort_operation_range_limitation > not active
25) Issue: Recirculate function turns on AC automatically. Fix: Cannot disable
26) Issue: Choosing Dynamic drive mode from other modes automatically jumps to "S" mode; Fix: Cannot change
27) Issue: Windshield wipers occasionally go up 1/2 inch then go down even when the setting is off.=>I believe this is a feature which helps keep the blade last longer. I've read that it happens when you shut the car off (every third time). The logic is to move the blade so it doesn’t' stay in the same position.
28) Issue: Gear not displayed in the Virtual Cockpit for "D" & "S" modes.
Fix: Module 02: Transmission -> Adaptation -> Single Gear Display. Old value: D off/S off => New value: D on/S on
29) Issue: Window goes down instead of up with auto-close button push (clicking to the second decent) - random
Fix:
TSB #A641855 2050362
Other Fixes Reported:
According to this post by NeedMoreHP: L and R front window campaign was referred to as 64F2 or PK64F2 and is listed as recall for the description. The kit they need is 80A-898-461 to fix
According to this post by Pal_Joey:service codes: 1-80A-837-461-A Regulator and 1-80A-837-462-A Regulator
30) Issue:Heated steering wheel malfunction (VC warning) Fix: Undo changes made with OBDEleven to steering wheel temps if any
31) Issue: Steering Wheel Heater Malfunction - Error Message and / or irregular or uneven steering wheel heating Fix: None
32) Issue: Heater Vents putting out heat significantly different from other vents (and from the temp setting) Fix: None
33) Issue: Home Link Programming Issues (link to garage door opener) - There are many possible issues with programming Homelink
a) radar interference that comes from the Side Assist (Pre-Sense / Active Lane Assist) prevents the Home Link system from picking up the frequency of the opener (ones operating in the 315 Mhz range)
Fix: pull the fuse for Audi Side Assist (see page 362 in manual), do normal in car training through the MMI, plug the fuse back in when done.
Alternate Fix: unplug the brown wiring harness plug behind the left rear wheel well panel (instead of unplugging the fuse)
Audi is supposedly working on a fix
b) For other Homelink issues try reading this Q7 thread: 2018 Q7 Homelink pairing with a 2006 Chamberlain Liftmaster 1/hp garage door opener.
34) Issue: Start/Stop - shuts off the car before the car actually comes to a complete stop. Fix: Dealer claims it is operating like other similar models
35) Issue: Beep when locking using the door handle is unreliable Fix: TSB: 219WA03
36) Issue: Random opening of tailgate Fix: TSB 51G2 - software patch to correct this.
Also:OBDEleven coding to help prevent accidental pocket button presses
Increase time required to open trunk lid with remote key
Central Module Comfort System (46) > Adaptation > Time for opening rear lid with remote control > default 800 (ms) > change to desired value (e.g. 2000 = 2 seconds)
37) Issue: Thermostat -
car overheats. Fix: TSB 2036114/4 - Replacing it fixes the problem.Thread: Audi Down for a Thermostat
38) Issue: Multiple vehicle features (ACC, Nav, DriveSelect, etc.) are not available in the MMI. Fix: Link to TSB: 91 20 76 2042506/10 June 5, 2020.
39) Issue: Drive System Malfunction - “cannot drive over 3500rpm” - This is often called "Limp Mode". Fix: None. I've had this happen and it was accompanied by a host of other errors on the VC. Dealer couldn't duplicate and since it didn't come back, I let it drop. Another user has also reported this error and waiting to hear from the dealer.

Last edited by spindlewood; 10-07-2020 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added 29 & 30
The following 5 users liked this post by spindlewood:
charleyk874 (01-30-2020), newyork13 (01-24-2020), nybloke (01-06-2024), rbreeze (07-04-2019), Sandroad (04-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2018, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE on the start/stop. This does NOT totally work. Went out several times yesterday, and when starting the car, it displays that the system is deactivated on the dash. May work several braking stops/minutes/miles, but then it would for no apparent reason reactivate itself and start shutting off when coming to a stop. The icon for (A) would come up beside the gear indicator on the dash in green and it would be working again. Next time starting the car, deactivated again... don't know what to tell you on this one.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fignewton
UPDATE on the start/stop. This does NOT totally work. Went out several times yesterday, and when starting the car, it displays that the system is deactivated on the dash. May work several braking stops/minutes/miles, but then it would for no apparent reason reactivate itself and start shutting off when coming to a stop. The icon for (A) would come up beside the gear indicator on the dash in green and it would be working again. Next time starting the car, deactivated again... don't know what to tell you on this one.
Start/Stop has a mind of its own. No big deal for me. My SQ5 seems to take less pedal pressure to engage than my 2013 A7 did - at least from my memory. If not less pressure, then less of a delay when the brakes hit a certain "trigger" point.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im not surer how to create a thread or if this issue belongs under this thread but I just bought my 2018 Audi Q5 2 weeks ago and the Pre-sensor is restricted and rear parking aid is restricted as well.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job with the listing.

13) Issue: day / night mode sensitivity incorrect for navigation map - Night map coming on even in bright day. Fix: Change light sensitivity to “late” or Speak "Day Map"

Yes, changing to "LATE" will fix it. Speaking "Day Map" (or "Night Map") puts it in manual mode and then one has to say it all the time.
The following users liked this post:
nybloke (01-06-2024)
Old 03-04-2018, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the write up. It is very informative. I only have had the Q5 a week. Love the car. Items 2, 3 and 22 I have noticed.

2 The turbo lag isnt that big of a deal to me. I notice it is a little bit on the wifes Mini Clubman.

3 The vibration isnt terrible. Ill bring it up when I take the car in for service.

22 The sunroof rattle bothers me the most. I didnt notice it during the test drive. It seems to come and go with different temps outside. Im torn on having the dealer look at as I dont want the interior messed up. Had the BMW dealer scratch the inside of the windshield replacing condesner coil on an X5. Fortunatly it was on the passenger side, lower corner. Probably will get this go and see how it is when it goes in for service.

Good to know about the seat heaters. I will have to get one of the tools to adjust that. The seat heaters get warm, not as hot as the ones in X5. I would like them to get hotter. They definatly better than the seat heaters in my G37, for which the Q5 replaced.

Thankfully most of these are minor annoyances. Most people probably dont even not half of these issues.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good informative thread. May I add some items to see if there are any future fix to them:

#23) Window auto up/down disabled after ignition off; I have to hold the window button & wait for it to close. I don't care it's safety or what; it's simply inconvenient!; My other German cars can auto open/close in 15 sec after ignition off.
24) Trunk closing will need to hold down the button in car and you cannot remote control it close when far away (still have signal)
25) Recirculate function turns on AC automatically whether you want it or not. I had to manually turn off AC when I don't want it.
26) When choosing Dynamic drive mode from other modes, it automatically jumps to "S" mode; you will need to use the shifter to change it Dynamic mode.
27) Windshield wipers occasionally go up 1/2 inch then go down even when the setting is off.

Wish List:
a) Engine Auto/start & stop: I would like to either (a) able to select default either on or off, & or (b) remember the last setting
b) In D mode still able to show which gear the car is in like Porche's so you don't accidentally put the car in wrong gear (too high RPM) when you paddle shift.

Last edited by Humble Bear; 03-04-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Humble Bear

Wish List:
a) Engine Auto/start & stop: I would like to either (a) able to select default either on or off, & or (b) remember the last setting
b) In D mode still able to show which gear the car is in like Porche's so you don't accidentally put the car in wrong gear (too high RPM) when you paddle shift.
It doesn't appear a) is in the coding on the newer models (unfortunately). b) is though. You can enable the gear indicators in D & S (so they show up like in M). Very nice! Here is where:
Module 02: Transmission -> Adaptation -> Single Gear Display. Old value: D off/S off New value: D on/S on
(gear selection displayed on virtual cockpit for "D" & "S" modes

PS. Great write up spindlewood. Nice to have a single go-to page for this info.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
Good informative thread. May I add some items to see if there are any future fix to them:
24) Trunk closing will need to hold down the button in car and you cannot remote control it close when far away (still have signal)
Audi set the range to approximately 4 feet – per the manual).
From the Q7 forum – this will increase the range limit of the Key Fob. This may not work with the Q5 luggage compartment and may also introduce (or increase) the center console ticking.
Mode 46 - Central Module Comfort System
Coding > comfort_operation_range_limitation > not active

27) Windshield wipers occasionally go up 1/2 inch then go down even when the setting is off.
I believe this is a feature which helps keep the blade last longer. I've read that it happens when you shut the car off (every third time). The logic is to move the blade so it doesn’t' stay in the same position.

Wish List:

The following has been reported to work to remember the last setting – no confirmation on the 2018 Q5
09-Cent Elec > Adaptation > Channel 34 > hit Read button (it should show the factory default number)
subtract 4 to the value > Start & Stop always disabled
add 32 to the value > remember last status
add 64 to the value to reverse the Start & Stop button light: off if Start & Stop is disabled, and on if Start & Stop is enabled.

I've added Wires info to the main post above, as well as including your other items.

Last edited by spindlewood; 03-05-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I tried looking for the Channel 34 a while back and didn't see it (on the 18 SQ5). I think that has changed since the last model version (but I may have missed it). Anyone else confirm?

Quick Reply: Q5/SQ5 Reported Issues and Fixes