Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 vs X3

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q5 vs X3

I’m looking at both the Audi Q5 (premium plus) and BMW X 3 (premium package and driver assist package). I’ve test drove them both once. They both are both great vehicles. Why did you choose the Q5? I’d love to hear your thoughts and decision process.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msujohn
I’m looking at both the Audi Q5 (premium plus) and BMW X 3 (premium package and driver assist package). I’ve test drove them both once. They both are both great vehicles. Why did you choose the Q5? I’d love to hear your thoughts and decision process.
Hi John. I went the opposite direction, having a Q5 (previous gen) and now an X3 (current gen). Tough choice. They are both great CUV's. We've thoroughly enjoyed both of them. You'll get some good input here and If you haven't already, you might try posting your question on an X3 forum like bimmerpost and you can weigh the pros and cons from both points of view. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Hi John. I went the opposite direction, having a Q5 (previous gen) and now an X3 (current gen). Tough choice. They are both great CUV's. We've thoroughly enjoyed both of them. You'll get some good input here and If you haven't already, you might try posting your question on an X3 forum like bimmerpost and you can weigh the pros and cons from both points of view. Good luck.
What were your deciding factors to choose the X3?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What were your deciding factors to choose the X3?
It was very minor things that influenced our decision. Probably the most important was that we'd already had a Q5 and I was interested in trying something different and the new gen X3 was receiving some good reviews just like the MKII Q5 did when it came out. I wish I had more details for you. Overall, it was a nice shopping experience since we could have gone either way and been happy.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

We have both, the X3 is a 2017 the Q5 is a 2018. Both are great cars. The X3 has a lot more storage in the front seat area. I was all ready to buy another X3 but they changed the seats in 2019 and the bolsters dug into my back. They were adjustable but just not wide enough. That was the deal breaker for me and sent me to the Audi dealer. The Q5 is a lot easier to find more electronics than the X3, such as adaptive cruise control. But the Q5 has buggy transmission that more often than not, stumbles when you roll to a slow stop. Search the forum, some people have the problem and some don't. If I had know about it, that would have been a deal breaker for me at the time. But I am starting to get used to it so it does not bother me too much.

I think you will be happy with either one.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I test drove the X3 and I wasn't overly enthused (plus, I wanted Apple CarPlay and it's not a standard option which confounds me). I drove a Q5 and loved the interior, that CarPlay was standard, the stereo is amazing, etc. I'm sure the X3 would have been fine but inside/out the Q5 was more attractive to me.

I only wish the screen on the Q5 was touchscreen as it can be a pain *sometimes* to quickly go to where you need to go, and the touch pad is useless to me. I've used it more to hold my ice cream cup on the ride home than actually writing on it.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey John. How is the search going? I just realized you posted your question on that other forum. Good idea. Good luck with your final decision.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Just some quick thoughts and some little details to consider;

I just looked at an X3 M40 on an extended test drive and really liked it. I would probably take that over an SQ5 since we already have a Q5. That thing is like driving a sports car! The steering required a LOT more effort, seat choices were limited to sliding around on the unbolstered ventilated seats (couldn’t feel them at all) or the standard bolstered seats which were better for support but no ventilation. We have the sport seats with ventilation on the Q5 and I find them very comfortable. There also seemed to be more plastic around the cabin. I also didn’t like the way you had to ‘skip’ to the next or previous tracks via the steering wheel - much more cumbersome than in the Q5. That’s nit picky but it does matter when you use the function a lot.

I also thought I’d like the wireless CarPlay and charging but realized I check my email at stop lights so I would want the phone mounted in easier sight anyway and if I add a case with a battery, I’d have to find one with wireless charging and there aren’t many good options right now. So the wireless CarPlay seemed like a big upgrade but I realized I wouldn’t use it all that much. Plus, I’ve seen reviews where the phone doesn’t disconnect from the WiFi on occasion so there is some manual clicking you have to do when that happens. Not sure if that’s widespread or common but it was enough to make me realize that, with all of these thoughts the wireless CarPlay wasn’t a big draw for me any longer.

The ride was great, handling was great and I did like the infotainment system. All in all, a great car. Again the M40 was a rocket and fun to drive.

I ended up ordering an S5 sportback as a I don’t need another SUV but if I were looking now, I’d really have a hard time deciding between the X3 and the Q5. If I were looking at the SQ5 or the X3 M40, I think I’d give the edge to the X3 M40 but only for the difference in acceleration. The X3 M40 is like driving an S5 sportback SUV version.

Good luck - likely can’t go wrong with either!

Last edited by audijk; 05-19-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife and I have both also. Honestly you can't go wrong. Even though we have the SQ5 and M40i, I still think you will be happy with either one! It honestly is a difficult decision on which one to take when we go on trips as a family.

Attachment 101618
Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was all ready to take the X3 M40i until I took an extended test drive and felt how rock hard the front seats are (it’s a known issue, google it). After about 30 minutes my left leg was killing me so the X fell off the list and the SQ won.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs X3