Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Q5 Washer Nozzle Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Washer Nozzle Question

My wife recently purchased a 2010 Q5. I noticed that her washer nozzles don't spray a mist. Instead, each one puts out 3 straight "jets."

Is that normal?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AversaS
My wife recently purchased a 2010 Q5. I noticed that her washer nozzles don't spray a mist. Instead, each one puts out 3 straight "jets."

Is that normal?
I don't know if it is normal, but mine does that, too.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AversaS

Is that normal?
This is totally normal, threw me off at first too, but almost every Audi I've driven (04' A4, '11 Q5, and a large assortment of loaner cars) has worked like this.

Just an FYI, you'll have a lot more luck with questions about your '10 Q5 if you post the questions in the Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion forum. This one if for the 2nd Generation that just came out this year.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So the reason Audi chooses to use streams verses the fanning of the spray is that, at higher speeds the streams are more able to reach the upper areas of glass as the stream is "stronger" than the fanning of the solvent. the smaller the water droplets, the more affected by the oncoming air they are.

Has anyone tried taking a needle, inserting it into the stream nozzle that is misaligned, and moving it around to realign it into the correct position? My washers hit the glass perfectly, but I've done this on other cars before. I'm not sure if Porsche still uses streams of water too, but they at least used to for the same reason of usability at high speeds.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lauwersp
So the reason Audi chooses to use streams verses the fanning of the spray is that, at higher speeds the streams are more able to reach the upper areas of glass as the stream is "stronger" than the fanning of the solvent. the smaller the water droplets, the more affected by the oncoming air they are.

Has anyone tried taking a needle, inserting it into the stream nozzle that is misaligned, and moving it around to realign it into the correct position? My washers hit the glass perfectly, but I've done this on other cars before. I'm not sure if Porsche still uses streams of water too, but they at least used to for the same reason of usability at high speeds.
I had to use the needle trick on my Q3 because one stream was barely hitting the bottom of the windshield under the wiper.