Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
In settings, you can tone down (or tone up) the sensitivity of the presense.

As others have said: RYDM!
^ Sorry mate.. but Audi pre sense - in all its assignments (basic, rear, front & city) - is completely separate from Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA). Changing the sensitivity of pre sense changes nothing for RCTA.

Re RYDM... You're absolutely right about reading the manual... Suggest you do just that!

/R

Last edited by rbreeze; 09-17-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
In settings, you can tone down (or tone up) the sensitivity of the presense.

As others have said: RYDM!
I also wrote that I tried this in my original post. So what shall we call it...."read the damn original post"
Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You notice I didn't add in anyone's comments into my reply.

So... TECHNICALLY, I was right. You can indeed tone down (or up) presense.

Last edited by benjaminnicholas; 09-17-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You cannot change the sensitivity of Presense. You can only change how early or late the warning comes on. It does not change how early or late it will brake. And as mentioned, Presense is different from rear cross traffic assist.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, this has happened to me 2 times in the 5000 miles driven. It is very unsettling when the brakes grab hold and nothing is there to explain the response.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me yesterday reversing out of a parking space. The grinding and shuddering noise scared the crap out of me, I thought I had run over something metallic or somehow screwed up the gears. It was really abrasive, not what I would expect.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Last evening I was backing up and a car was coming from my left. The screen showed the red arrows as the manual indicates in this situation. But I did not hear any tone/beep alerting me. I checked the manual and don't see any on/off for the RCTA tone/beep. The Parking Sensors tone/beep normally, front and rear, as I enter/exit my garage so I know they're working. Any ideas? in the meantime, need to try replicate, to make sure it is the car (2018 Q5 Prestige), not me.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTX
Last evening I was backing up and a car was coming from my left. The screen showed the red arrows as the manual indicates in this situation. But I did not hear any tone/beep alerting me. I checked the manual and don't see any on/off for the RCTA tone/beep. The Parking Sensors tone/beep normally, front and rear, as I enter/exit my garage so I know they're working. Any ideas? in the meantime, need to try replicate, to make sure it is the car (2018 Q5 Prestige), not me.
I’m not totally sure but I think it shows only the red arrows when it detects cross traffic but will then alarm if it thinks a collision will happen if you keep moving. Eventually it will slam on brakes.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
I’m not totally sure but I think it shows only the red arrows when it detects cross traffic but will then alarm if it thinks a collision will happen if you keep moving. Eventually it will slam on brakes.
That's been my experience. Arrows first, then sound alert, then braking depending on proximity/likelihood of collision.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paperbridge
That's been my experience. Arrows first, then sound alert, then braking depending on proximity/likelihood of collision.
Yes, I tested it earlier in a shopping center parking lot. There is a progression of alerts as mentioned. In one case I was parked, engine running, in reverse, not moving. Guy with a shopping cart passed close to the rear of my car. Arrows lighted on the left side of the center stack display, and it beeped several times. Haven't experienced the braking yet. All seem normal according to the details in the manual.

Quick Reply: Rear Cross Traffic Alert