Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have either the same problem or one like all these. When I back out of my garage my Brakes lock, Maybe 1 out of 15 times this happens. The other part of this that is totally weird is that it happens more often when the front passenger seat is occupied. I have a standard garage door with plenty of clearance.

Had the car into the dealer and they tell me all is correct with the car.

The brake locking is so violent it can throw ones back out.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperD
I have either the same problem or one like all these. When I back out of my garage my Brakes lock, Maybe 1 out of 15 times this happens. The other part of this that is totally weird is that it happens more often when the front passenger seat is occupied. I have a standard garage door with plenty of clearance.

Had the car into the dealer and they tell me all is correct with the car.

The brake locking is so violent it can throw ones back out.
^ Does the occasional 'brake locking' happen only when you back out of your garage? Anywhere else?
Does it happen after you've fully exited the garage or while a part of your vehicle is still in the garage?
Do you have bushes or trees or anything else that can move with the wind on one or both sides of your driveway outside your garage?

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-23-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Does the occasional 'brake locking' happen only when you back out of your garage? Anywhere else?
Does it happen after you've fully exited the garage or while a part of your vehicle is still in the garage?
Do you have bushes or trees or anything else that can move with the wind on one or both sides of your driveway outside your garage?

thanks for for the quick reply. The brake lock only happens backing out of my garage, never anywhere else. It happens while most of the car is in the garage. No bushes or anything that could create an alarm. Stone wall on one side and another car width + on the other side ( double driveway).

again thanks
Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperD
thanks for for the quick reply. The brake lock only happens backing out of my garage, never anywhere else. It happens while most of the car is in the garage. No bushes or anything that could create an alarm. Stone wall on one side and another car width + on the other side ( double driveway).

again thanks
^ ThumperD, you're very welcome - just trying to help.
IMO... it appears that one or more of your rear bumper-mounted radar sensors is experiencing interference or some kind of spurious signal from a source just outside your garage door. Today's high GHz automotive radar sensors need to cope with interference of many kinds (including the one from other car's radar).. and perhaps the 2018 Audi Q5's setup is more sensitive than most.
If there's nothing "irregular" about that stone wall along one side of your driveway (is there any electrical/electronic equipment fitted to the wall?), and if your intermittent 'brake lock' continues to occur... then, as per the owner's manual, you might try switching off the ESC prior to backing out of your garage, which will switch off the rear cross-traffic assist system (ref. pages 124/125 of the online owner's manual). That's at least one way to prevent that very aggressive braking from occurring only moments after getting into your vehicle and trying to back out!
The next time 'brake lock' occurs when backing out of your garage it will be helpful to know (notice) if a red arrow is appearing on your MMI Infotainment screen, and in what direction the arrow is pointing. The arrow will at least pinpoint the side of the car (which side of the rear bumper) where the anomaly is occurring.
Good luck with all.

-Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-25-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Richard,

Your help is MUCH appreciated !!

I have a lot of electronics on the inside of the garage door wall including Insteon transmitters that monitor the status of the garage door and Linear DX receivers for wireless remote lighting controls and auxiliary garage door opening. We also have a 2017 A8 that uses the other side of the garage and it has no issues with brake locking.

I will try your suggestions and let you know the outcome.

Steve
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rear cross traffic alert not beeping

My cross traffic does not beep. Is there a setting to turn it on?. It flashes red, but no sound..
Old 01-12-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know about "Across Traffic Alert" but I've had Audi "Pre-Sense" kick in a couple of times... with brakes partially applied. This happened when a pedestrian was illegally running out in the street. An alert appeared on the virtual dash and the brakes started to be applied (with a warning noise). I noticed that it tried to do it's thing with the person about 100 feet in front of me (as I headed toward them).
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Argy
My cross traffic does not beep. Is there a setting to turn it on?. It flashes red, but no sound..
It does not beep.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It does not beep.
Thanks. I saw a youtube video demonstration and it beeped, but it probably was a Q7. I have a Q5. My Lexus has it and it beeps. Seems a little useless without sound. Everything else like the parking assist beeps. The cross traffic, in my opinion, is more important. $52,000 dollar car and a shoddy cross traffic alert kinda makes me angry. I'm hoping you are mistaken.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Argy
Thanks. I saw a youtube video demonstration and it beeped, but it probably was a Q7. I have a Q5. My Lexus has it and it beeps. Seems a little useless without sound. Everything else like the parking assist beeps. The cross traffic, in my opinion, is more important. $52,000 dollar car and a shoddy cross traffic alert kinda makes me angry. I'm hoping you are mistaken.
I don't have the car yet, but according to the manual (p124) it says an audible beep "may" sound.

From the manual:
If the system detects critical cross traffic when backing out of a parking space, it will react as follows:
- Visual indicator: an indicator appears in the Infotainment system display with a red arrow symbol. The arrow points in the direction from which the object is approaching
- Audible warning signal: a continuous tone may sound as an additional indicator when driving in reverse .
- Automatic brake activation: a brief activation of the brakes may also warn you of a potential collision with an approaching object.
The audible warning signal and the automatic brake activation occur only when driving in reverse.
And from the online SQ5 tech page:
In critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied to prompt the driver to stop the vehicle.
Perhaps you just haven't put yourself in immediate danger yet.

Quick Reply: Rear Cross Traffic Alert