Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Reflection on Windshield from HUD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the thoughtful input guys.
I think the suggestion that suits me best is to throw a microfiber cloth up there and block the reflection.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best .
Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

This must be a height issue (how high you are in the seat) as I don't have a problem with this at all. Try raising or lowering you seat to see if it helps.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LovelyNancy
Thanks for all the thoughtful input guys.
I think the suggestion that suits me best is to throw a microfiber cloth up there and block the reflection.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best .
Sounds like that would work! Alternatively polorized sunglasses should work too, as long as you don't plan on actually using the HUD because the image you're meant to see would also be filtered out. What interests me is the silver plastic mentioned in the original post....I checked my HUD and it only has black plastic. Maybe the silver you're seeing is a reflection from the lens itself? If you don't plan on using the HUD you could wrap your EZ pass in black microfiber and throw it up there. I haf my ez pass in there before I knew what that space was for lol. Luckily the lens did not get scratched...
Old 10-19-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I never noticed this refelection...that is, until my stupid, OC induced brain decided it must now focus like a laser on the windshield, which started following reading of this post. Need to engage some self hypnosis techniques if I’m ever going to undo this mind lock.

One thing I noticed, and by sheer coincidence, is that I had the day I read this post, got around to cleaning the dash with just some mild soapy water and a micro cloth. I think that may have enhanced the reflective level of the surface of the dash and the HUD area, cuz the reflection absolutely seems more prominent now as a result. Perhaps a fine layer of dust had acted to cut the glare/reflection.

Reminds me of when a detailer decided to lather up my dash on my prior auto with Armorall (sp?). What a mistake that was. Dash glare was unbelievable, and nothing I applied to reduce it worked. Just had to wait months for the glare to diminish from sun exposure.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
This must be a height issue (how high you are in the seat) as I don't have a problem with this at all. Try raising or lowering you seat to see if it helps.
My new polarized glasses arrived. Pulled out and had to look for the HUD - faint but just good enough to read and be functional. Any tilt made it brighter (tilting right seemed more so). When I sat up another inch or so higher in the seat, the HUD 100% disappeared - so you are right - a height issue.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 HUD reflection

The reflection will appear in your line of site anytime sunlight is coming through windshield on the passenger side. There is also extreme heat coming through glass on driver side when driving into the sun. It is a very poorly designed system and one shouldn’t have to drive with ac on full with special sunglasses or a dashboard rug. Audi claims that they have no complaints.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rlcorny
The reflection will appear in your line of site anytime sunlight is coming through windshield on the passenger side. There is also extreme heat coming through glass on driver side when driving into the sun. It is a very poorly designed system and one shouldn’t have to drive with ac on full with special sunglasses or a dashboard rug. Audi claims that they have no complaints.
Complete hogwash. Windshield is the same throughout, so there is no difference in "heat" on the driver side. EVERY HUD has this reflection issue. I get reflections with other vehicles just from the dash alone (no HUD). Maybe if it bothers you place **** carpeting over the entire dash covering the HUD.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LovelyNancy
I've had my 2018 Q5 Prestige for several months now.
It annoys me that the Heads Up Display that is mounted on the dash reflects onto my windshield during the day when the sun hits it, which is most of the time.
The reflection sits right in the center of my line if sight.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Any work around ideas?
I noticed the same problem. I fixed it by applying a piece of self-stick black velvet fabric from Amazon.

The pattern is attached. If your printer is size accurate (select "actual size" rather than "fit"), this can be used as a cutout template. Also, added templates for pieces to cover the smaller side panels, as those also cause reflections.

To install, I only peeled back the protective paper about a 1/4" along the bottom straight edge. Then placed that edge along the plastic edge of the display trim. Pressed it down. Then remove the rest of the backing, and roll the velvet down.

[ETA: I removed the HUD cowl from the dash, making it much easier to determine the mask size. A revised template is attached. It's also easier to apply the material to the cowl when it's out of the car. Removing it is easy -- just gently pry up the rear edge, working your way back and forth across the width of the cowl. Once it's high enough to get your fingers under the lip, pop it a bit further then slide it out.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Head Up Display Mask.pdf (37.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by DrexLex; 10-11-2022 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Revised the mask template
Old 10-06-2022, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

With my 2013 A6 the hooded part of the dash over the instrument cluster was too short to prevent the sun from hitting the glass/composite lens covering the cluster and made it look all swirly, blocking one's ability to see some of the readouts. After a few complaints to the dealer, their answer was that they checked with several levels within the Audi corporate structure and got the answer that in Germany the sun is not intense, so there is no issue. Therefore, the dash and cluster were not designed to protect against the “bright US sun.” Ah, Mother Nature messed up. OK!