Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Start?

Has anyone had a remote start system installed on thei Q5/SQ5? If so, which one? What has been your experience? I miss this feature from my previous vehical. I understand that German cars don’t come equipped because of laws that do not allow them. In the US this is not an issue and I appreciated the ability to start my car from inside my house and allow it to warm up before going out in the morning.
The following users liked this post:
area51 (07-21-2020)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

You might find this B9 A4 thread helpful.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I really think the "German cars don't have it because it's not legal there" answer is kinda bogus. There's different regulations there vs here and the cars show it. Matrix headlights are legal there so they have them there. Lighting standards are a decade behind here, so we dony have them in the states.
​​​​​​
Perfectly reasonable to offer it where allowed. They just dont
lastlion (05-02-2020)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

https://www.12volt.solutions/product...mote-start-kit
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do you have any experience with this setup? I had previously found this myself when searching the internet but wasn’t sure if anyone has experience with this and had any feedback if so.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

problem with this this is that they use the factory remote, who needs a remote start from 10 feet away? Especially for this price.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
problem with this this is that they use the factory remote, who needs a remote start from 10 feet away? Especially for this price.
I believe the 10-foot limit of the factory remote can be extended using VAG-Com or a OBD11. Also I think the company that makes that remote start kit has some sort of range extender option of their own too.

Here are the OBD11 steps for a B9 A4/A5 to extend the range of the factory remote. I'm assuming the Q5/SQ5 MKII has something similar if not the same.

Key-fob Range Limitation:
* Central Module Comfort System
* Long Coding
* Change range_limitation_lock, range_limitation_rear, range_limitation_opening, range_limitation_panic, and central_locking_system_requst_for_range_function to Not Active
* Press and hold green check mark to accept
Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bucaneer97
Do you have any experience with this setup? I had previously found this myself when searching the internet but wasn’t sure if anyone has experience with this and had any feedback if so.
I personally don't have any experience with this product but it was recommended by someone else on here or the Audi reddit forum.

Last edited by heymoe; 01-12-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Compustar has remotes that can extend the range to 3 miles. While another cost if it works and it extends the feature I’d consider it. Looking for someone that has had one of these systems installed on a 2018 Q5. That’s for all the input though.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Successful 12V Solutions 2018 Audi SQ5 Plug and Play Remote Start Kit

A year in with my SQ5 and a second winter made me go out on a limb and order the new plug and play module from 12Volt Solutions (https://www.12volt.solutions/product...mote-start-kit). The price was $599 plus $15 for shipping and it came in fast via USPS. I didn't like the fact that the box was not packaged in an envelope or another box and it was showing the content, but on the flip side it was small enough to fit inside my mailbox.
The box came without any installation instructions, and the only instructions in the box were on how to program the module once installed. However, they do offer a very helpful video that covered almost everything (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiR...ature=youtu.be). I followed the video and the written programming instructions, and I completed the installation and programming successfully under an hour. The quality of the pig-tail plug and play connectors is top-notch, and everything clicked and locked well into place. The video makes it look easier than it really is, and I had a bit of a hard time fitting the wire bundle in place, but that could just be me.
Bottom line: Fairly easy installation, high quality and true plug and play product that worked well right away. Yes it is costly, and yes- you DO need to sacrifice one of your fobs, but I wish it was available last winter since it worth it. I installed it on Friday, and we've had some single digits here making this little convenience a very welcome addition.

Last edited by Avneriko; 01-21-2019 at 09:42 AM.
area51 (07-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Remote Start?