Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Remote Start?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How close do you need to be to start the car?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info on the 12Volt Solutions setup. The install looks pretty straightforward too. Any idea on what the cost is for an extra fob if we don't want to sacrifice one of our existing ones?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawski
I really think the "German cars don't have it because it's not legal there" answer is kinda bogus. There's different regulations there vs here and the cars show it. Matrix headlights are legal there so they have them there. Lighting standards are a decade behind here, so we dony have them in the states.
​​​​​​
Perfectly reasonable to offer it where allowed. They just dont
I think the reason they don't come with remote start is that Audi doesn't want you to let the car warm up at idle. They want you to start the car and drive away immediately. These engines are hard to get warm, especially the SQ5. So the engine needs to have loads placed on it to get warm in a reasonable amount of time which just aren't there at idle.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eby Creek
How close do you need to be to start the car?
The same short distance as the other remote functions. However, they do sell an extender that is claimed increase the range to 2,800'. I'm fine with the current range.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortex Radar
Thanks for the info on the 12Volt Solutions setup. The install looks pretty straightforward too. Any idea on what the cost is for an extra fob if we don't want to sacrifice one of our existing ones?

I have seen them for under 40 bucks, but here is one for 65. Just google it and you should find one online. There are also videos on how to program it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2018-AU...8AAOSwfMlcTQmM
Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
I think the reason they don't come with remote start is that Audi doesn't want you to let the car warm up at idle. They want you to start the car and drive away immediately. These engines are hard to get warm, especially the SQ5. So the engine needs to have loads placed on it to get warm in a reasonable amount of time which just aren't there at idle.
It's not just Audi, BMW is the same. I believe the real reason is European emissions, but just like Chawski said, that's not a reason it's not available in the states. It's like the dealer saying "the cupholders suck because Germans don't drink while going down the autobahn at 170MPH". Great, but they have to drive surface streets sometimes, they do have passengers that might be thirsty, they have other markets other than Germany, etc.

I do find if you click on the heated seats, it takes about the same amount of time for them to get hot as it does for the car to almost reach a point where it will start blowing warm air. I usually just hit the heated seats/steering wheel, wait in a freezing vehicle until my **** is warm and then drive off.

They all preach the "start the engine and drive away slowly, this is the most efficient way to warm up the engine". I just cannot envision on a modern vehicle with tight engine tolerances, and a turbo that needs oil, that trying to pump -40 degree thick oil through it is very effective until the oil gets warm. How do you merge into traffic without any throttle during the warmup?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

DI engines and idle = no bueno long term

VW Atlas offers remote start with the VR6 model non DI engine

I dirve literally 3 blocks before the onramp to the interstate and keep the engine below 2500- 3000 Rpm before that. warms up quickly
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer just installed a Compustar remote start on my 2019 SQ5. Dealer ordered an additional OEM primary keyfob so I didn't have to "lose" one in the process. Still learning, but it works well.

Last edited by edwyun; 04-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I have seen them for under 40 bucks, but here is one for 65. Just google it and you should find one online. There are also videos on how to program it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2018-AU...8AAOSwfMlcTQmM
Have you seen a video for programming the new keys? All I have seen is for the old style flip-key ones
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a Compustar on mine, I wouldn't use anything else and I wouldn't own a vehicle without it. When I was in Michigan it was great for warming the vehicle and melting snow, now in Arizona I use it all summer to make the seats cool before I get in. Takes it from 180 to 100 in less than 10 minutes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start?