Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Revised Consumer Reports Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revised Consumer Reports Ratings

The December issue of Consumer Reports has revised ratings for some "Luxury Compact SUVs" based on the latest reliability data. The Q5 is unaffected, but the Porsche Macan S moved to the top of the overall rankings and the MB GLC 300 plummeted down the list. The Macan's overall score is now 80, while the Q5 is tied for second with the Lexus NX 300 with an overall rating of 78. The GLC is now ranked eighth of the ten vehicles listed (at 54) and the Jaguar F-Pace is last (at 47). Apparently the GLC's latest scores on the owners' reliability survey were way down; more on this below.) None of the road test scores changed: Macan at 85 topped this list, followed by Q5 (83) and GLC (81).

In another part of the December issue, CR ranked manufacturers on the overall reliability of their vehicles (again based on surveys of owners). Audi ranked fourth of the 27 makes listed. Toyota was at the top of the list, Cadillac (!) was at the bottom. Mercedes was right in the middle at 14th, and the least reliable MB vehicle was the GLC 300. For what it's worth, the least reliable Audi was the A7 and the most reliable was the Q3.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

That is good news since we just bought a Q3 and a Q5 this year. They are our first Audis.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That’s almost too much of a change....the initial GLC rating must have been flawed.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stuven
The December issue of Consumer Reports has revised ratings for some "Luxury Compact SUVs" based on the latest reliability data. The Q5 is unaffected, but the Porsche Macan S moved to the top of the overall rankings and the MB GLC 300 plummeted down the list. The Macan's overall score is now 80, while the Q5 is tied for second with the Lexus NX 300 with an overall rating of 78. The GLC is now ranked eighth of the ten vehicles listed (at 54) and the Jaguar F-Pace is last (at 47). Apparently the GLC's latest scores on the owners' reliability survey were way down; more on this below.) None of the road test scores changed: Macan at 85 topped this list, followed by Q5 (83) and GLC (81).

In another part of the December issue, CR ranked manufacturers on the overall reliability of their vehicles (again based on surveys of owners). Audi ranked fourth of the 27 makes listed. Toyota was at the top of the list, Cadillac (!) was at the bottom. Mercedes was right in the middle at 14th, and the least reliable MB vehicle was the GLC 300. For what it's worth, the least reliable Audi was the A7 and the most reliable was the Q3.
The CR has not gotten any data on the new 2018 model- I'd like to see if that would affect the ratings in any way.
Can you tell in what place is Subaru? I am looking at Outback as a Q5 potential replacement.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m1964
The CR has not gotten any data on the new 2018 model- I'd like to see if that would affect the ratings in any way.
Can you tell in what place is Subaru? I am looking at Outback as a Q5 potential replacement.

Thanks
You're probably right about the lack of CR reliability data for the 2018 Q5. I would think that the predicted reliability for this model is based on the previous Q5 and perhaps on Audi's overall record for reliability. Since the 2018 is a new model in a new factory, you may have a basis for concern. In spite of this, I did replace my 2011 Q5 with the 2018 model. For what it's worth, after about 1200 miles on my new Q5, absolutely nothing has failed to work as it should.

As for CR's ratings of the Subaru Outback, its class of vehicle was not mentioned in the December issue, so I can only give you the scores I found for the 2018 Qutback on CR's web site. Its ratings are 76 overall, 82 on the road test, 3/5 (average) in reliability, and 5/5 (well above average) in owner satisfaction. Here's the intro to their road test report: "More than just a wagon, the Outback is an intriguing alternative to a traditional midsized SUV. It has more cargo space than most seemingly larger competitors, less thirst for fuel, and a lower price. Functionally, it does everything most midsized SUVs can do -- except tow a heavy load. Subaru has split the difference between a wagon and a crossover, creating a winning combination. The continuously variable transmission (CVT) has been recalibrated, making acceleration less thrashy. . . ." As a brand, Subaru ranked sixth (out of 27) in CR's owner reliability surveys. By the way, in the December issue they rank the Forester 2.5i Premium first in the compact SUV class with very high ratings: 84 overall, 85 on the road test, well above average in reliability, and above average in owner satisfaction.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm replacing my Q5 with an Outback as soon as my dealer gets the trim I want in stock. I drove the 2.5 4 cylinder, but am getting the 3.6 6 cylinder. Very powerful, smooth and quiet. With all the bells and whistles, it will run my about $40k out the door. A whole lot less than a Q5, although I acknowledge that in reality they aren't really completely comparable.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Stuven,
Thanks