Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

sport seats question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sport seats question

Anyone else find it hard to get in and out with the sport seats? It just seems like alot of wear and tear on the side of the seat and i'm wondering how it's going to hold up without looking bad after a while.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To ease entry and exit, I lower my SQ5's air suspension to its lowest setting.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLLAuWo
To ease entry and exit, I lower my SQ5's air suspension to its lowest setting.
but you still have to raise your butt to clear the seats side bolstering no?

I too rub the side bolstering on the sport seats.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

I passed on the ventilated seats because the only way you could get them with my trim line was to get the sport seats. Those things dug into my butt.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm worried about wearing out the left side of the seat getting in and out. I'm constantly rubbing up against it getting out. Was thinking (which is dangerous) of placing a patch of leather or other material to protect the seat from excessive wear getting in and out. Don't want something that will look tacky, and having it stay in place would be a challenge.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by StingX71
I'm worried about wearing out the left side of the seat getting in and out. I'm constantly rubbing up against it getting out. Was thinking (which is dangerous) of placing a patch of leather or other material to protect the seat from excessive wear getting in and out. Don't want something that will look tacky, and having it stay in place would be a challenge.
I purchased one of these on E bay a while back. I was looking for a little more cushion. It did not provide the cushion I was looking for, but they look pretty good and stay in place. I purchased another one for the passenger seat. If you have the dark seats they will look pretty good. I have the brown seats and they are not bad. I thought they would cheapen up the interior but they don't. I am not sure is I am going to keep them, maybe just a layer of protection. You might want to buy one to see if you like it. They are less than 10 bucks. They come from China so it will take two weeks or so.
One thing I don't like about the Q5 are the hard seats. The sport seats were even worse so I forgo the ventilated feature which I really wanted, I live in SW Florida. I wanted the comfort of a Lexus, but I could not stomach that grill........ I did not want the repair bills from a Mercedes, Lincoln or a Caddy and the X3 seats were even worse. for 2019 they put the bolstering in the X3 into the back rest. Even thought they are adjustable, if you have a wide back like me, instead of keeping you in place, they dig into your back. The salesman said he had a lot of complaints. And for 2109, the sport seats were the only ones you could get in the X3. My wifes 2107 X3 has great seats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Seat-C...item1a72af3b05
Old 03-09-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you can also try adjusting your exit method. i tend to rotate and slide out at the seat bolster's lowest point, where the seat meets the backrest.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I am sitting here wondering what you all are going on about problems getting into and out of your sports seats. My seat is fine, no hindrance at all but I have just sat on the passenger side and can see there is an issue getting out of the seat. Note I am right hand drive.
Looking at both seats there is no physical noticeable difference but could have something to do with the angle the vehicle is parked on, who knows.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coreytime
Anyone else find it hard to get in and out with the sport seats? It just seems like alot of wear and tear on the side of the seat and i'm wondering how it's going to hold up without looking bad after a while.
I noticed the Napa leather in the Audi seems to feel thicker that leather in my other brand cars (BMW, Lexus) so I have every expectation that they will wear reasonably well for the duration I normally keep my cars (50K average). I also try to wack off any grime or dirt from my pants if I've gotten soiled up before sitting in the car.
Except for the slight crease on the side bolster, no frayed stitching nor cracks or abrasion at 10K:
Old 03-10-2019, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the sport seats in my 2018 Q5 and I think about this frequently. So far so good but it's only been six months and I can't think of a way to leave the car without pushing a bit against it...unless I levitate.

Quick Reply: sport seats question