AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   SQ5 - Does the brakes grunt? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/sq5-does-brakes-grunt-2953254/)

carinquiryad 07-12-2018 10:56 AM

SQ5 - Does the brakes grunt?

We test drove a new SQ5 2018 with the driver assistance package. EAch time I engaged the brakes, it would make a grunting sound that was pretty audible. The sales representative said that it was normal to hear that sound since it is a performance car. Is it true that the brakes grunt like that on the SQ5?

We really want to buy that car, but the brakes grunting like that is somewhat disconcerting.

aclass 07-12-2018 11:10 AM

Mine do
only that last foot of the stop though and varies depending on how heavy my foot is.

carinquiryad 07-12-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by aclass (Post 25178790)
Mine do
only that last foot of the stop though and varies depending on how heavy my foot is.

Thank you. Now that you mention it, yes it was only the last foot of the stop, thank you for helping me recall. Is there a mode or something we can switch to that does not make this sound?

Jester7677 07-12-2018 11:28 AM

I have no idea what u guys are talking about. I hear nothing unless wash the car, then they need a few stops to wear off the rust/dust.

SQuirelly5 07-12-2018 12:00 PM

Occasionally. Pretty sure it is wet day/car wash related, but its never bothered me enough to really try to nail it down.

carinquiryad 07-12-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5 (Post 25178830)
Occasionally. Pretty sure it is wet day/car wash related, but its never bothered me enough to really try to nail it down.

For me, it was a new car and it was a dry day. I am not sure if they had just washed the car, but it did not look like wet. The car did have Prestige package, S sport package, Driver Assistance package, 21" wheels. I am not sure if that makes a difference. We were hoping to test drive another car, but the car we want to buy is 600 miles away and we are hoping to get more information before we make the trip.

SQuirelly5 07-12-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by carinquiryad (Post 25178835)
For me, it was a new car and it was a dry day. I am not sure if they had just washed the car, but it did not look like wet.

Doesnt need to BE wet. Just needs to have gotten wet, and then sat. The little surface rust that goes away after the first brake application or two. They could have washed it two days prior, then let it sit.

The question would be does it grunt repeatedly, throughout a longer drive?

carinquiryad 07-12-2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5 (Post 25178856)
Doesnt need to BE wet. Just needs to have gotten wet, and then sat. The little surface rust that goes away after the first brake application or two. They could have washed it two days prior, then let it sit.

The question would be does it grunt repeatedly, throughout a longer drive?

Thank you. I see what you are saying. I test drove for about 15 minutes, and it would grunt each time and could be heard over the AC and the windows closed. It was a really hot day here. What made me alarmed was that the sales consultant saying that it is normal for the brakes to grunt. Anyway, so it seems that for most people the brakes do not grunt.

cornelt 07-12-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by aclass (Post 25178790)
Mine do

^^^^^ That

2018_SQ5 07-12-2018 05:53 PM

Mine do it, but only when lighting riding the brake to bring it to a slow stop or letting off the brake lightly to let it creep forward a little. If i'm on or off the brakes fast the noise is still there but briefly and i don't notice it unless I'm paying attention to listen for it