Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 - Does the brakes grunt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
What kind of brakes does the sq5 use? Are they ceramic brakes?

tryjng to decide what brake dust cleaner to use?

Sonax says lays there products won’t work on ceramic, so want to make sure they are not ceramic brakes.
They are not ceramic
Old 08-08-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

KaDeTime......what was the result of your visit to your dealership about this? Forgive me if I missed a post.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We all know that the brakes on the sq5 grunts when stopping. But has anyone noticed that when you are stopping on a slit incline it does not have the noise?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
KaDeTime......what was the result of your visit to your dealership about this? Forgive me if I missed a post.
Hey just notice your question.

it ended up being the noise i described is not related to brakes but exhaust or something. every time you rev the engine at around 900 rpm it makes that metal squeal noise both at acceleration and deacceleration. when i drove to the dealer it was raining very hard. when i get there we could not duplicate it. now after i got home and did not use the car for a week its back and got a video to show it to them. will get it looked over with 30k service that will be due in a month or two.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
it ended up being the noise i described is not related to brakes
I am biting my tongue.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the grunt as well! But, they are damn good brakes.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heynowbababooey
Got the grunt as well! But, they are damn good brakes.
dealer said it’s normal. The brakes works great though.

Cant wait to wash the car, raining this whole week ugh!!!!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They do grunt!!!

Originally Posted by carinquiryad
Thank you. I see what you are saying. I test drove for about 15 minutes, and it would grunt each time and could be heard over the AC and the windows closed. It was a really hot day here. What made me alarmed was that the sales consultant saying that it is normal for the brakes to grunt. Anyway, so it seems that for most people the brakes do not grunt.
2019 SQ5 with sport package and they do grunt in last few feet of stopping at low speed dry or wet. Dealership said it was normal for high performance brakes???? It is loud and can vibrate car when it is bad! Going to post noise on YouTube and leave bad reviews for Audi online everywhere. For 60k you should not have to put up with such a bad noise!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BigO
2019 SQ5 with sport package and they do grunt in last few feet of stopping at low speed dry or wet. Dealership said it was normal for high performance brakes???? It is loud and can vibrate car when it is bad! Going to post noise on YouTube and leave bad reviews for Audi online everywhere. For 60k you should not have to put up with such a bad noise!
If you throw a temper tantrum, no dealer will want to work with you - including the one you bought it from.

Do a few 60-0 hard stops and report back. Don’t go “do it” and not do it and claim that didn’t work. Actually get in your car, go find a safe space where you can do this, then come back.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

That was my thoughts as well. Followed by "you just do that buddy if it makes you feel like a big person!".

I have about 15k miles on mine, and now they are worn it a bit more, it's quite minimal now. I do love how NOBODY reads the manual about break in procedure, but loves to slag the world because they are a "victim". Social media just makes this trend 100x worse than it's been in the past.

Quick Reply: SQ5 - Does the brakes grunt?