Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 lemon law replacement request. No luck so far.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SQ5 lemon law replacement request. No luck so far.

Reached out to Audi North America this morning about my 2018 SQ5 which I bought in December of 2017. On January 5th I made my first issue report with range sensing errors. The service report says “Found codes to be stored in all control modules”, after 6 days it was returned after tightening a ground cable.

I started my SQ5 at the end of January and almost every warning I can imagine came on, I could barely accelerate and the steering felt like it wasn’t even power assisted. I took it in on the 29th and it was in the shop for 8 days. The service report says, “Found over 200 faults stored in all the control modules.” The regional service tech came in and fixed a grounding error in a wiring harness and then it was test driven by dealer staff for a week or so.

Everything was fine until December 18th. I again received a large number of error warnings on a start and again my SQ5 went in and was there for 11 days. The service report says, “Found faults in almost all control modules.” A module in the steering column was replaced and everything seemed fine until yesterday.

I again received a large number of error notifications and the steering wheel was well off center as I drove the vehicle.

I reached out to Audi North America this morning and requested a replacement vehicle as this has been over 25 days in the shop, over Iowa’s lemon law threshold of 20 days, and I was hopeful as other members had reported this approach working for them. Unfortunately I was referred back to the service department at my local dealer instead.

I haven’t lost hope yet, but I am writing this while the facts are still fresh in my mind from having done the research for my request this morning. I have videos of the issues occurring that I can share as well.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It will require your continues effort to show Audi that your are serious and I think the last time someone had gotten their car replaced it was after the BBB was called. Good luck, nobody should have to live with that.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

bummer! but please keep pushing. I am very sure with enough effort you would be able to get the lemon replacement.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by texasDFWS4
It will require your continues effort to show Audi that your are serious and I think the last time someone had gotten their car replaced it was after the BBB was called. Good luck, nobody should have to live with that.
Does the BBB really matter anymore? Not joking on you, seriously wondering. I thought it was nothing more than a stern Yelp review at this point
Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawski
Does the BBB really matter anymore? Not joking on you, seriously wondering. I thought it was nothing more than a stern Yelp review at this point
i think trust pilot is another platform to rant on. Their reviews are aggregated by many other third party apps. Businesses care about bad review to not show up.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you even read how to push a lemon law claim? Fill this out and send it to Audi NA
https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/...D654C77ACD.pdf

read more detailed instructions:
https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf
Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Do not go and use BBB, once you go there you have to stay.
The car might have to be unsafe rather than a large inconvenience.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was hoping that the approach others had used where you reach out to Audi North America first would work since they don’t want a lemon on their hands and would simply offer me a replacement.

I haven’t heard anything though from either my dealership or Audi NA since Monday and they said they’d reach out on Tuesday and Friday respectively. I swung by tonight and my SQ5 seems to be sitting in the same spot she was Monday night.

What I should have done was sent the form to them when they didn’t offer me a replacement before taking the car in.

I guess they may still do right by me. Hope springs eternal.

Originally Posted by NeedMoreHP
Have you even read how to push a lemon law claim? Fill this out and send it to Audi NA
https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/...D654C77ACD.pdf

read more detailed instructions:
https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf
Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Delin
I was hoping that the approach others had used where you reach out to Audi North America first would work since they don’t want a lemon on their hands and would simply offer me a replacement.

I haven’t heard anything though from either my dealership or Audi NA since Monday and they said they’d reach out on Tuesday and Friday respectively. I swung by tonight and my SQ5 seems to be sitting in the same spot she was Monday night.

What I should have done was sent the form to them when they didn’t offer me a replacement before taking the car in.

I guess they may still do right by me. Hope springs eternal.
Honestly, AoA gave me a decent amount off of a replacement. Accounting for the cost of the clear bra and needing new tires, I probably came out even - with a caveat. I’m in a state where a trade-in goes against the cost of a new one tax wise (ie if your trade is $50k and new car is $60k, you only pay tax on the $10k difference).

If you’re in a state where you pay full tax no matter what, you’d come out ahead on Lemon Law. Only concern is if you go that route and lose, you could get the trade assist from AoA pulled and you’re screwed.

Use the term “trade assist” when talking to your dealer or AoA. I think the most they offer is 10%
Old 05-08-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I stopped by the dealer on Monday and they said they are waiting on a steering control modules, it is on order, but has no estimated arrival date. I also spoke with AoA and it seemed like I was making some headway. I emailed over my service records per their request and they said they would get back to me later that day. They didn't. Nor yesterday, so I reached out this morning and asked about progress and they said they "should have more information in a couple of business days." I replied that since no decision had been reached I'd like to also attach the motor vehicle defect notification form to my case as well and sent that over via email.

Quick Reply: SQ5 lemon law replacement request. No luck so far.