Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 - Lowering Air Suspension Equipped

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
The VAG-COM hack doesn't work on the B9.
Do you know this for sure Rob? I know that a shop has already achieved this with the Audi tool, if it can be done there, there is zero reason why it couldn't be done with VAG-COM. I'm sure it's safe to say that no one has done it yet, but there's no reason why it won't be possible in the future?

Those are some beefy rubber, are those winter tires? Looks great. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as well. I was hoping for an easy ODB11 tool, but the wait for that might be indefinite.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Do you know this for sure Rob? I know that a shop has already achieved this with the Audi tool, if it can be done there, there is zero reason why it couldn't be done with VAG-COM. I'm sure it's safe to say that no one has done it yet, but there's no reason why it won't be possible in the future?

Those are some beefy rubber, are those winter tires? Looks great. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as well. I was hoping for an easy ODB11 tool, but the wait for that might be indefinite.
You're correct ... there are a couple of shops who've indicated they were able to lower their SQ5 using the Audi scan tool, including Pacific German out of Laguna Hills (SoCal) who posted this pic some time back and said it was 50mm lower than stock. I don't know of anyone who's accomplished this via VAG-COM or VCP though.

Tires are all-seasons, so my wife can run them year round (it's her daily). We have other stuff for when/if it gets really nasty out.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's the shop I was referring to. If it's possible with the Audi tool, is there a reason you decided to go with the link solution?
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the shop I was referring to. If it's possible with the Audi tool, is there a reason you decided to go with the link solution?
I had Pacific German lower mine with the Audi tool. I am not sure why VCDS or VCP cant do this, but it doesn't work the same as the previous cars (like the S6). I know that its a re-calibration of the suspension and PG was very positive that the OEM Audi tool was the only way to do it.

Before I lowered at PG I had the links from air-mattic. I wanted to see if there was any difference in the ride between the two lowering methods and I didnt notice any difference. You can only go so low with the CPU and the links can go a bit lower. If I had to do it over again, I probably just would have left it alone with the links. On the positive side though when the dealer scans my car everything looks correct in their CPU and they have no errors or anything displaying to them to alert them that the car is lowered.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cmoore86
I had Pacific German lower mine with the Audi tool. I am not sure why VCDS or VCP cant do this, but it doesn't work the same as the previous cars (like the S6). I know that its a re-calibration of the suspension and PG was very positive that the OEM Audi tool was the only way to do it.

Before I lowered at PG I had the links from air-mattic. I wanted to see if there was any difference in the ride between the two lowering methods and I didnt notice any difference. You can only go so low with the CPU and the links can go a bit lower. If I had to do it over again, I probably just would have left it alone with the links. On the positive side though when the dealer scans my car everything looks correct in their CPU and they have no errors or anything displaying to them to alert them that the car is lowered.

I reached out to PG a while back but can't find the email. Do you recall if they can lower to a requested amount or if it's lowered in set amounts i.e., 10mm, 20,30 etc....
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADG05
I reached out to PG a while back but can't find the email. Do you recall if they can lower to a requested amount or if it's lowered in set amounts i.e., 10mm, 20,30 etc....
I am not sure on this. I only asked to go as low as possible and then do alignment. I would think that this is possible, but I didnt stay and watch the process so I am just guessing.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cmoore86
I am not sure on this. I only asked to go as low as possible and then do alignment. I would think that this is possible, but I didnt stay and watch the process so I am just guessing.

Got it....Thanks for the reply. I'll give PG a call and confirm.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ADG05
You can absolutely set the amount based on the limitations of the calibration. Basically what you're doing is exactly how it's always been (at least when I did it years ago on the Allroad), you tell the vehicle that the "Base" height needs to be lowered or raised for a particular corner. I really believe only the module has changed and not the actual procedure for accomplishing this "hack". With that said, the tools available today may not be setup to properly communicate to that new module, but it's only a matter of time/interest to make that happen. It's all conjecture until someone spends the time to actually figure it out.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

With that said, the tools available today may not be setup to properly communicate to that new module, but it's only a matter of time/interest to make that happen. It's all conjecture until someone spends the time to actually figure it out.
Meanwhile ... I'm riding lower, the ride is as good as stock (and less harsh with the 20s) and I have zero complaints with links vs hack. :P
Old 06-22-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rob O
Meanwhile ... I'm riding lower, the ride is as good as stock (and less harsh with the 20s) and I have zero complaints with links vs hack. :P
Absolutely nothing wrong with links! I would just prefer a software solution that I could easily change if I wanted the extra height or nervous about a dealer for some reason. Just my preference, with that said I was looking at the vehicle the other day and it was begging me for less wheel gap.. lol. Glad to hear yours are performing well, they look like extremely high quality units (which I wouldn't expect any less from you) and would probably be my choice as well if I ever go this route.

Quick Reply: SQ5 - Lowering Air Suspension Equipped