Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 replacing rotors and brakes??????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 replacing rotors and brakes??????????

I bought my SQ5 brand new 3 years ago. I only have 35052 miles on it. I have been going to the same dealership for all my maintenance issues besides the first service I had to receive. Today I took my car in to get brake pads that are covered by my Audi Term Car Protection Plan. My service guy informed me as I'm dropping the car off that the rotors and brakes are usually replaced together. So he calls me after an hour of having my car letting me know I need Rotors and Brakes........ He said my Rotors are not reusable they are below Minimum requirements....... I called AUDI USA to ask them the requirements and they have no idea. I called other dealerships and they all have different answers.

So I decided to tell my service guy to just leave my car alone and let me pick up my car as it is. He wanted to explain to me that high performance cars rotors goes faster. I think that's not true.

Is there anybody with an AUDI SQ5 that has experienced the same issue
Old 04-04-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Am just about to 35,000. Already had the 35K service, and they did not mention any brake issues.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They are saying my rotors and brakes need to be changed together, but I have never experienced anything like this with any high performance car. I took my car to an alternative dealership and they are saying that I need rotors, but nobody can tell me what the original thickness of the rotors were when they were placed on my car.

I called different dealerships and nobody can tell me when how often my rotors needs to be replaced. So I guess every 35,000 miles I'm going to be replacing rotors and brakes....... I have never heard that before ever.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yoyo57
They are saying my rotors and brakes need to be changed together, but I have never experienced anything like this with any high performance car. I took my car to an alternative dealership and they are saying that I need rotors, but nobody can tell me what the original thickness of the rotors were when they were placed on my car.

I called different dealerships and nobody can tell me when how often my rotors needs to be replaced. So I guess every 35,000 miles I'm going to be replacing rotors and brakes....... I have never heard that before ever.
This is the wrong thread for this post. But I'd call BS. Go to a reliable generic shop that does brake work. I'm no expert but usually the rotars need replaced from being warped or having grooves that were caused by the pads completely wearing out and metal on metal when braking. It's possible that Audi uses a soft metal that wears with the pads but unlikely, IMO. Performance cars don't wear brakes faster, vehicle weight, stopping and heat do.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ron.S
This is the wrong thread for this post. But I'd call BS. Go to a reliable generic shop that does brake work. I'm no expert but usually the rotars need replaced from being warped or having grooves that were caused by the pads completely wearing out and metal on metal when braking. It's possible that Audi uses a soft metal that wears with the pads but unlikely, IMO. Performance cars don't wear brakes faster, vehicle weight, stopping and heat do.

I went to another repair shop this morning they said I need rotors and brakes. But they seemed to add on 1mm on my front brakes....... I think the dealership is just trying to make me soend money along with the other shops. What I'm going to do is force Audi to change my back brakes and not replace my rotors. My brakes are covered by the Term Care Protection plan so I don't have to pay for them.

If they keep trying to raise the issue that rotors need to be replaced I'm going to have a serious conversation Audi Team about that. I think its too early to change nrakes and it's unlikely to change rotors everytime you change the brakes.

Thank you both for your input.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 2002 BMW 540 w/sport package - had to change rotors w/the pads at every 30-35k....
Old 04-05-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You posted in the Q5 mk2 thread which is for the unreleased 2018+ models. You'll probably get better responses from the 8R0 thread which is the model you have. I have a Q7 and my pads/rotors only last ~20k. You can look at your rotors and see if there is a lip on the outside rim of the rotor. This will give you an idea of how much has already worn away.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Aftermarket pads? Rotors?

Hi!
I have a 2016 SQ5 with 24k on it. I'm looking at aftermarket brake pads and rotors. Anyone use EBC yellow stuff?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi does replace rotors and pads at the same time. I had a 2013 S6 and both were replaced at the same time that is the required spec. Term Care Plus includes the rotors so find out what you paid for the term care or the term care + which includes the rotors.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s common for German brands, at least luxury brands, that the rotors are constructed (thickness) such that they need replacement roughly the same time as the pads. Unlike American brands (used to be?) where the rotors could be “turned” to restore the surface (taking away material) for smooth braking.

If you have experienced no sign of rotor warping, you might get away with only replacing the pads. They must have have a tolerance for wear, that can be measured with a micrometer. Not sure if the dealer want to bother with it, though. You wouldn’t want the rotor to wear through and fail while braking. Pay me now or pay me later.

I would ask the dealer what they charge for the parts, and shop around online, to make sure it’s not excessive. In my opinion, obviously not Audi’s, if the rotors wear as quickly as the pads, then they should be covered just like the pads are.

Quick Reply: SQ5 replacing rotors and brakes??????????