Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Freshly Tinted SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Freshly Tinted SQ5

Wanted to share my freshly Tinted SQ5 - for reference the windows are 20% and windshield is 40% - Interior is Magma Red (although you can't see that). Windshield is the perfect tint - no issues seeing at night, but keeps the heat out in the day
Attached Thumbnails Freshly Tinted SQ5-img_0413.jpg   Freshly Tinted SQ5-img_0414.jpg   Freshly Tinted SQ5-img_0415.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY NICE!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can you legally tint a windshield more than 80% (basically clear)? My SQ5 has 33% on the front two (legal limit) and 5% everywhere else.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Where can you legally tint a windshield more than 80% (basically clear)? My SQ5 has 33% on the front two (legal limit) and 5% everywhere else.

Unsure about the legality around it (I'm in PA), but I've always had my front windows tinted at or around 20% on all of my vehicles and have never ran into any issues (legally). On my previous vehicle I had the windshield tinted as well at the same level for about two years without issue - the heat rejection from the tint is the primary reason I did this, can not imagine driving without it.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mbsaeger
Unsure about the legality around it (I'm in PA), but I've always had my front windows tinted at or around 20% on all of my vehicles and have never ran into any issues (legally). On my previous vehicle I had the windshield tinted as well at the same level for about two years without issue - the heat rejection from the tint is the primary reason I did this, can not imagine driving without it.
I lived in PA for years. Their law is very subjective and dumb. It stayed the following:

Tint darkness for SUV and vans:

• Windshield: Must allow more than 70% of light in*, any darkness on top 3 inches.
  • Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in. *
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
  • Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
therefore no tint is allowed on the windshield unless it's clear or on the top strip only. It used to say as long as you can be seen from EITHER the passenger/driver window OR the windhsield. So I would tread carefully around staties.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice rims
Old 10-13-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
Nice rims
Those are the stock SQ5 20" rims.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

The SQ5 in white does look awesome and the tint is perfect!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mbsaeger
Wanted to share my freshly Tinted SQ5 - for reference the windows are 20% and windshield is 40% - Interior is Magma Red (although you can't see that). Windshield is the perfect tint - no issues seeing at night, but keeps the heat out in the day
Who told you that tinting -- such as you describe -- has anything to do with heat? It is accurate that tinting, to a point, does reduce the impact of LIGHT (not heat). Tinting as you have it, based only on what you have told us, has nothing to do with heat rejection. We tinted our SQ5 @80% (virtually no light reduction) -- yet we gained a very high HEAT reduction number (because of the film used).

Up to 95% heat reduction is possible even at 80% tint (meaning that the light blockage is only 20%.)

In Ohio, 50% is the maximum legal tint allowed. I took the risk of going to 40% (60% sun blockage) and find it provides a fine after dark rendition of the surroundings. I toyed with 30% and have come to the conclusion that such DEEP tinting -- while looking cool -- provides no heat benefit. 20% tinting, too, looks cool, but at that point, with 80% blockage of the LIGHTS from other vehicles, it seemed unnecessarily dangerous.

It is true that Ohio's tinting maximums do seem excessive. However, most folks do NO tinting (80%) of the windshield and no more than 30% for the remainder of the car. Ohio seems overly strict, I will agree, but -- as a practical matter -- tinting more than 30% (IF DONE FOR HEAT REDUCTION) makes no sense. 40% seems to me to be a great balance considering that 60% still makes it through. It's like driving with sunglasses on -- only the car is wearing the sunglasses.

Again, before I get too deep into the negatives of excessive tinting, darker tint has virtually nothing to do with heat blockage, if that is the goal.

If someone told you that "dark tint" will be automatically accompanied by heat reduction, well, they out and out misrepresented the facts.

It would be better to spend the tinting allowance on an on-beach "tent" or getting to a shallow diving depth, instead.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 10-13-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Who told you that tinting -- such as you describe -- has anything to do with heat? It is accurate that tinting, to a point, does reduce the impact of LIGHT (not heat). Tinting as you have it, based only on what you have told us, has nothing to do with heat rejection. We tinted our SQ5 @80% (virtually no light reduction) -- yet we gained a very high HEAT reduction number (because of the film used).

Up to 95% heat reduction is possible even at 80% tint (meaning that the light blockage is only 20%.)

In Ohio 50% is the maximum legal tint allowed. I took the risk of going to 40% (60% sun blockage) and find it provides a fine after dark rendition of the surroundings. I toyed with 30% and have come to the conclusion that such DEEP tinting -- while looking cool -- provides no heat benefit. 20% tinting, too, looks cool, but at that point, with 80% blockage of the LIGHTS from other vehicles, it seemed unnecessarily light.

It is true that Ohio's tinting maximums do seem excessive. However, most folks do NO tinting (80%) of the windshield and no more than 30% for the remainder of the car. Ohio seems overly strict, I will agree, but -- as a practical matter -- tinting more than 30% (IF DONE FOR HEAT REDUCTION) makes no sense. 40% seems to me to be a great balance considering that 60% still makes it through. It's like driving with sunglasses on -- onlyt the car is wearing the sunglasses.

Again, before I get too deep into the negatives of excessive tinting, darker tint has virtually nothing to do with heat blockage, if that is th goal.

If someone told you that "dark tint" will be automatically accompanied by heat reduction, well, they out and out misrepresented the facts.

It would be better to spend the tinting allowance on an on-beach "tent" or shallow diving depth invitation to starrd the dinner/
Ceramic tint does help with heat. I live in Texas so I can assure you it works. Who's to say he didn't use some sort of ceramic? I have 5% on the back half of my car and 33% (really 35%) on the front two windows. Depending on the brand darker ceramic tints do help provide more solar rejection even a few % makes a world of difference. I could've done my whole car in 80% and been happy, but I prefer the privacy of darker ceramic tints. Every car I've owned has used 5% on the back and the legal limit up front. While I can't speak for the OP, I would like to assume he knows the difference between dyed films and cermaic or heat rejecting films.

Quick Reply: Freshly Tinted SQ5