Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 vs. BMW X3 M40i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ5 vs. BMW X3 M40i?

anyone test drive the new 2018 X3 M40? Just curious to see how they compare.

I couldnt find any good comparison reviews either...
Old 02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolio
anyone test drive the new 2018 X3 M40? Just curious to see how they compare.

I couldnt find any good comparison reviews either...
Haven’t seen one either. Good comparison review of the glc43 versus the sq5 posted above. Wouldn’t shock me if the glc43 and bmw are more similar than would be the sq. But if the suspension of the bmw is more civilized than the glc, it could be great. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Sort of a comparison @:

Old 02-12-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I cross-shopped the two cars you are asking about. They both were approximately the same price to lease per month. The X3 sounds incredible and makes all the right noises especially in sport mode. The interior is all new and really beautiful. For me it was the rear of the X3 that I didn't like. It just looked a bit boring in comparison with the SQ5. As a total package I do believe the SQ5 drives better. Also I absolutely love the new digital instrument cluster interface. This is the first time driving a car without the conventional speedometer/tachometer display. I am in awe each and every time I drive the car. I think whichever you decide you really cannot go wrong. Both are incredible options. Both sound and drive great. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooklynSQ5
I cross-shopped the two cars you are asking about. They both were approximately the same price to lease per month. The X3 sounds incredible and makes all the right noises especially in sport mode. The interior is all new and really beautiful. For me it was the rear of the X3 that I didn't like. It just looked a bit boring in comparison with the SQ5. As a total package I do believe the SQ5 drives better. Also I absolutely love the new digital instrument cluster interface. This is the first time driving a car without the conventional speedometer/tachometer display. I am in awe each and every time I drive the car. I think whichever you decide you really cannot go wrong. Both are incredible options. Both sound and drive great. Good luck with your decision!
I agree with you on the digital instrument cluster, I’m surprised how much I really like it, being that I am an analog guy who still has 3000 albums(for those who don’t know, those are the vinal disks, the last sound storage medium derived from Thomas Edison’s sound encrypting invention!). I love the fact that when I have the nav system on the main screen, I can put the audio menu up in the instrument cluster area. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious. Is the "sound" of the X3 really from the engine or is it artificial, like BMW did with some of the sedans?
When I test drove the SQ5, I absolutely loved it. Perfect little growl, and a nice positive encounter with the head rest when accelerating.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

X3 sounds is almost fully artificial (just like the SQ5). I have a '16 340 sedan, and it sounds amazing (even though it's fake).

I never test drove the X3 (but my 340 would have almost the same interior). I like the new Audi interior better than the BMW though. Only downfall is Audi has no idea how to make or where to place cup holders.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tested the BMX X3 M40i as well great car. But the ride even in the softest setting was too
firm for me. The cabin seemed smaller as well. I ordered a SQ5 two days latter.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

It's odd that the X3 gets paired to the Q5. It should really be matched to the Q3 based on sizes. The X5 is more the size of a Q5, but length wise closer to the Q7 (in the extended seat version).
Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
It's odd that the X3 gets paired to the Q5. It should really be matched to the Q3 based on sizes. The X5 is more the size of a Q5, but length wise closer to the Q7 (in the extended seat version).
The new BMW X3 is bigger than the the original X5. The X3's dimensions are 186″ L x 74-75″ W x 66″ H. The SQ5 is184″ L x 75″ W x 65″ H

Quick Reply: SQ5 vs. BMW X3 M40i?