Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I can imagine the mechanical break-in of the speakers, I cannot see how solid state (semiconductor) components can change their characteristics with time. They can change the characteristics based on the ambient temperature, and even with that there are some limits of this change (defined in the data sheet of every chip).
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by U-2
While I can imagine the mechanical break-in of the speakers, I cannot see how solid state (semiconductor) components can change their characteristics with time. They can change the characteristics based on the ambient temperature, and even with that there are some limits of this change (defined in the data sheet of every chip).
It may be hard to imagine and not understood by many but break-in of electronics is a reality, trust me, I’ve experienced it many times, buy a new piece of electronics and it sounds like *** until 25-100 hours of playing passes. Then things can open up, lose hardness, sound materially better. If you read any audio magazine, the reviewer will often describe the major improvement in sound with break-in or just say listening began after 100 hours of playing. Break-in in a car can take some time depending on how much you drive and how loud you play, the louder the better for speaker drivers, woofers can take a long time to break-in. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I wasn’t born yesterday. Ive been into audio equipment for almost 50 years, installed countless after market high end stereos in various vehicles, built speakers, owned countless amounts of electronics. Yes, speaker drivers do mechanically break in and change in character over time as the cone surrounds loosen up. And yes, electronics do break in as well, often sound hard and bright, can open up with some playing time. Regards. Ned.
Snake-oil I tell ya....

Next you will be saying people need high end speaker wire and that requires a break in to.

This is a pretty good read on the subject which kind of points both ways. So to clarify my stance, I believe that there is some mechanical break in that occurs but I don't believe that most people can tell any difference.

Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction? | Audioholics
Old 10-23-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Snake-oil I tell ya....

Next you will be saying people need high end speaker wire and that requires a break in to.

This is a pretty good read on the subject which kind of points both ways. So to clarify my stance, I believe that there is some mechanical break in that occurs but I don't believe that most people can tell any difference.

Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction? Audioholics
Listen, all I was doing was suggesting to a forum member that my long experience with audio equipment indicates that it some times pays to be patient with a sound system before making a final judgement, his woofers might start to open up over time, if not, then look for another solution. Break-in can certainly vary dramatically among different equipment, sometimes subtle, sometimes much more than subtle. That’s my life experience, and it’s not from getting used to the sound, I’ve experienced going from it sounds like crap, to it sounds great over time. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Listen, all I was doing was suggesting to a forum member that my long experience with audio equipment indicates that it some times pays to be patient with a sound system before making a final judgement, his woofers might start to open up over time, if not, then look for another solution. Break-in can certainly vary dramatically among different equipment, sometimes subtle, sometimes much more than subtle. That’s my life experience, and it’s not from getting used to the sound, I’ve experienced going from it sounds like crap, to it sounds great over time. Regards. Ned.
I have been in the AV game sometime myself and have owned about anything youy can think of. I don't notice any difference in "break-in".

Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?-iqd01hi.jpg

Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?-p7rntpc.jpg
Old 10-23-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
Snake-oil I tell ya....

Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction? Audioholics
ok l get it, we disagree. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker upgrade

I have the premium sound system and it is ok for talk radio, a little light classical but for more complicated music with a greater dynamic range the speakers just aren't sensitive enough.
I just started looking for speakers that fit the bolt holes up front, with a db sensitivity of 91 or higher.
The current woofer installation could be replaced with a bigger sized woofer with a line out going to another amp.
I think the factory head unit is ok, and the signal from the amp is ok, the music just gets a little muddy due to the low sensitivity of the speakers.
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory head unit, and muddy sounding factory speakers and the advice on the forum there was take out the stock factory speakers and put in Infiniti's so I did and there was a vast improvement, and I was quite content.
I do not feel it is necessary to spend a vast sum to get audiophile quality sound on a car, which has a relatively short life, better to have great gear at home.
I know this flies in the face of conventional high end audio wisdom, but hey, it's only an a3, you have a very limited area to work in, just not worth an excessive and expensive redo.
Hope this makes sense.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richmcn
I have the premium sound system and it is ok for talk radio, a little light classical but for more complicated music with a greater dynamic range the speakers just aren't sensitive enough.
I just started looking for speakers that fit the bolt holes up front, with a db sensitivity of 91 or higher.
The current woofer installation could be replaced with a bigger sized woofer with a line out going to another amp.
I think the factory head unit is ok, and the signal from the amp is ok, the music just gets a little muddy due to the low sensitivity of the speakers.
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory head unit, and muddy sounding factory speakers and the advice on the forum there was take out the stock factory speakers and put in Infiniti's so I did and there was a vast improvement, and I was quite content.
I do not feel it is necessary to spend a vast sum to get audiophile quality sound on a car, which has a relatively short life, better to have great gear at home.
I know this flies in the face of conventional high end audio wisdom, but hey, it's only an a3, you have a very limited area to work in, just not worth an excessive and expensive redo.
Hope this makes sense.
Sounds like a perfectly sensible plan. It’s amazing to me that manufacturers won’t spend a bit more money for decent speaker drivers in a so called premium system, some do and get pretty decent sound. Terrible speaker drivers might cost $2-5 in bulk, good drivers to $5-15. Obviously the bass is usually more challenging due to space limitations and cost, good bass needs better amplification and heavier duty drivers. But you’re plan makes sense, better woofer with its own amplifier can make all the difference, actually make everything sound better. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I will definitely look into replacing the speakers. Checked Crutchfield and they don't have the speaker info on the Audi brand. I may have to open up the grill and see for myself what size of speaker are they...
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the door speaker grills are snapped in; don't want to risk scratching or damaging them yet. Shined the speaker grills with flashlight and look like the woofers in the 4 doors are all only 5 1/4" even though there are space for at least 6 1/2 or hopefully 6 x 9! No wonder the bass is so poor. There are also a 2-component speaker in the center of the front dash below the windshield, woofer looks like 3.5 or 4".

Last edited by Humble Bear; 10-24-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?