Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I have been in the AV game sometime myself and have owned about anything youy can think of. I don't notice any difference in "break-in".

Dual PB-13 Ultras? I am envious. Overkill in the Q5 but nice in the HT!
As for the stock system, I haven't played with the settings but I really find it source dependent. I was listening to some Kraftwerk today, and while it doesn't put the bass up front and centre, it does come in with some decent lows when needed. Other music I find can be a bit wanting, and some excessive. I really don't like too much bass in the car, and I will agree that the subs used in the stock systems are usually not the best. My BMW system is a bit too boomy, not as tight as I would like.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pgi007
Dual PB-13 Ultras? I am envious. Overkill in the Q5 but nice in the HT!
As for the stock system, I haven't played with the settings but I really find it source dependent. I was listening to some Kraftwerk today, and while it doesn't put the bass up front and centre, it does come in with some decent lows when needed. Other music I find can be a bit wanting, and some excessive. I really don't like too much bass in the car, and I will agree that the subs used in the stock systems are usually not the best. My BMW system is a bit too boomy, not as tight as I would like.
I didn't find any subwoofer in my base Q5. 5 sets of component speakers (woofer + tweeter); 4 in the doors and 1 on top of the dash(a small one inside the grill).
Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 PM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
I didn't find any subwoofer in my base Q5. 5 sets of component speakers (woofer + tweeter); 4 in the doors and 1 on top of the dash(a small one inside the grill).
On Audi UK site the description is "10 loudspeakers including centre speaker and subwoofer, 6-channel amplifier with a total output of 180 watts".
So I assume if center speaker is in the dash then subwoofer should be in the trunk with the spare wheel. Is it not there?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

From the Audi Canada website:
A speaker system, including subwoofers and tweeters, that delivers the highest sound quality via the Audi MMI (Multimedia Interface).

I recall the salesman saying it has 2 subwoofers (but he said a lot of things I found to be questionable). I am curious now, so I will look around to see if I can locate them.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
It’s amazing to me that manufacturers won’t spend a bit more money for decent speaker drivers in a so called premium system, some do and get pretty decent sound. Terrible speaker drivers might cost $2-5 in bulk, good drivers to $5-15.
It makes no sense to me either. I'd rather them have NO speakers and proper line outs somewhere for real amps and real speakers and a spot under the center for a 10 or 12" sub so I can DIY. Or they could spend some of the extra money we pay and just do it themselves.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
It may be hard to imagine and not understood by many but break-in of electronics is a reality, trust me, I’ve experienced it many times, buy a new piece of electronics and it sounds like *** until 25-100 hours of playing passes. Then things can open up, lose hardness, sound materially better. If you read any audio magazine, the reviewer will often describe the major improvement in sound with break-in or just say listening began after 100 hours of playing. Break-in in a car can take some time depending on how much you drive and how loud you play, the louder the better for speaker drivers, woofers can take a long time to break-in. Regards. Ned.
I got about 1100 miles on my Q5 now and I believe the system sounds noticeably better; not significantly but very noticeably betta!! Hopefully it will continue to improve.

My buddy works at NASA JPL as an engineer and who is also an avid audio enthusiast said both the speakers and electronics would improve after break in.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got about 1100 miles on my Q5 now and I believe the system sounds noticeably better; not significantly but very noticeably betta!! Hopefully it will continue to improve.

My buddy works at NASA JPL as an engineer and who is also an avid audio enthusiast said both the speakers and electronics would improve after break in.
Glad to hear that. It may continue to improve a bit more over the next 1500 miles to the point of some satisfaction, I’ll bet the detail and transients sound better giving an overall greater listening experience. I would continue to play with the tone controls as well. As I said before, the breakin period is also dependent on the volume at which you listen, the louder the quicker. In some of my high end systems, I’d leave the car with the volume turned up to accelerate the process, had no interest in ear damage! That really helps break in the speakers. If you try that, don’t turn it up enough to damage the speakers of course. Enjoy. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per Audi's website, the "Audi sound system has ten speakers, 180 watts", the bass is so bad. Are there any subwoofers? I would like to replace mine.
Question to Humble bear. Did you end up doing any changes or upgrades to your system ? i am about to purchase a Q5 , but it has the standard system and it seems to me that the sound is very inferior standard than what i was expecting. Wonder if i should change the speakers, and how many of them and other components i would need to replace .

Thanks for any suggestions. by the way i am in Ecuador where good stereo stores are even harder to find. my need to buy them at USA from th web and bring them back in some trip . . .
Old 11-24-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It has ben widely known for many years that speakers DO break in so to speak, Ned is right on this regard. What I have noticed in my A8 with the Bose system is that it, along with any other audio system, is HIGHLY affected by the dynamic quality of the source material. An FM broadcast will never sound as good as a CD mastered to high standards. There are many "Best Of" CD recordings that are better than the original recordings.
I wouldnt know about any solid state circuits becoming better over time BUT all the high end audio websites ALWAYS break in a speaker system before conducting tests. Best to all, lets just agree to disagree, saying someone is "silly" is for children!
Old 11-25-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LF Trujillo
Question to Humble bear. Did you end up doing any changes or upgrades to your system ? i am about to purchase a Q5 , but it has the standard system and it seems to me that the sound is very inferior standard than what i was expecting. Wonder if i should change the speakers, and how many of them and other components i would need to replace .

Thanks for any suggestions. by the way i am in Ecuador where good stereo stores are even harder to find. my need to buy them at USA from th web and bring them back in some trip . . .
Hello LFT, I will wait a little more before I do anything...But for sure, my system is sounding better than new.

Quick Reply: Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?