AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Start/Stop automatic feature... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/start-stop-automatic-feature-2954238/)

Boink 07-25-2018 03:53 PM

Start/Stop automatic feature...

I've read a few threads where people reported that the, sometimes annoying, "start/stop" feature was no longer working. Then, I noticed the same. At any stop, the engine remained on.

I just visited my dealer (and spoke with the most knowledgeable person) and service tech guy reported that this is normal, and especially common in the dead of winter of the peak heat of summer. Like the manual indicates, he told me that many factors go into the activation of the system. Evidently the computer scans a number of things (more than just a hard brake pedal).

To prove that it is working OK, he told me to simply turn off the HVAC system and, by-golly, the next stop I did the system switched on (turning the engine off). A very simple test!

KaDeTime 07-25-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boink (Post 25185603)
I've read a few threads where people reported that the, sometimes annoying, "start/stop" feature was no longer working. Then, I noticed the same. At any stop, the engine remained on.

I just visited my dealer (and spoke with the most knowledgeable person) and service tech guy reported that this is normal, and especially common in the dead of winter of the peak heat of summer. Like the manual indicates, he told me that many factors go into the activation of the system. Evidently the computer scans a number of things (more than just a hard brake pedal).

To prove that it is working OK, he told me to simply turn off the HVAC system and, by-golly, the next stop I did the system switched on (turning the engine off).

great job you read your owner manual... I’m really not surprised anymore that so little people read the owners manual or look at it when they have questions.

thank you for posting to tell others however as others probably also won’t read it

ltxi 07-25-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by KaDeTime (Post 25185610)

great job you read your owner manual... I’m really not surprised anymore that so little people read the owners manual or look at it when they have questions.

thank you for posting to tell others however as others probably also won’t read it

A bit snarky, and no he didn't...it took a trip to the dealer to get clued in, but I'm with for sure certainly with you on your just read the damn manual first point.

Boink 07-25-2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ltxi (Post 25185634)
A bit snarky, and no he didn't...it took a trip to the dealer to get clued in, but I'm with for sure certainly with you on your just read the damn manual first point.

I didn't take the first reply as snarky at all.
Actually, I did read the manual (and have the PDF of it here on my desktop - a bit presumptuous of anyone to assume I hadn't), but there was no mention of an easy way to "test" the system. Turning the HVAC off was easy and worked well. :D

KaDeTime 07-25-2018 05:27 PM

Yeah just by reading written txt is hard to determine feelings sometimes.

Jester7677 07-25-2018 05:32 PM

Boink, I wish it would just remember the last button selection, or not turn off while still moving 2mph. I really rather not play with settings to fool the system, god knows what else that might do.

i guess my point/question is, why did it not turning off concern you? :). I would think that would be a happy occasion!

Boink 07-25-2018 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jester7677 (Post 25185661)
Boink, I wish it would just remember the last button selection, or not turn off while still moving 2mph. I really rather not play with settings to fool the system, god knows what else that might do.
i guess my point/question is, why did it not turning off concern you? :). I would think that would be a happy occasion!

Mostly, I was just wondering why the system seemed to no longer work (though I knew the computer scanned a bunch of determining variables). I know that one can change the functionality, but I don't mind the auto start/stop feature at all (as I think it helps improve in-city mileage). Because it seemed to cut-out rather suddenly, and hadn't been functional for some time, I thought it was pretty neat that one can easily test if it's really working by simply toggling the HVAC off (with the touch of a button), and then turn the HVAC back to on.
So, to summarize, I don't mind the feature at all... and, all in all, I think the car kicks back on pretty fast (though I sometimes twist the steering or let up slightly on the brake as a signal is about to change).

P.S.- I've never ever had the engine turn off while still moving 2mph. Not good!

Gizmo607 07-26-2018 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boink (Post 25185684)
Mostly, I was just wondering why the system seemed to no longer work (though I knew the computer scanned a bunch of determining variables). I know that one can change the functionality, but I don't mind the auto start/stop feature at all (as I think it helps improve in-city mileage). Because it seemed to cut-out rather suddenly, and hadn't been functional for some time, I thought it was pretty neat that one can easily test if it's really working by simply toggling the HVAC off (with the touch of a button), and then turn the HVAC back to on.
So, to summarize, I don't mind the feature at all... and, all in all, I think the car kicks back on pretty fast (though I sometimes twist the steering or let up slightly on the brake as a signal is about to change).

P.S.- I've never ever had the engine turn off while still moving 2mph. Not good!

sorry for asking this dumb question, but which button is the HVAC button?

Parallax 07-26-2018 04:04 AM

Not in my car at the moment, but there’s a button in the bottom right corner of the dash that says off or something to that effect.

patmurphey 07-26-2018 06:47 AM

Second button over on the climate control panel is AC on/off. Refer to page 71 of the manual for more info.