Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Start/Stop automatic feature...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester7677
Boink, I wish it would just remember the last button selection, or not turn off while still moving 2mph.
I've noticed on mine over the last few drives has started kicking in while still moving (less than a few MPH) approaching a stop light or car. It actually makes coming to a stop a little abrupt, wondering if that's just the car learning from my driving style or its own attempt at being more efficient.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfMan90045
I've noticed on mine over the last few drives has started kicking in while still moving (less than a few MPH) approaching a stop light or car. It actually makes coming to a stop a little abrupt, wondering if that's just the car learning from my driving style or its own attempt at being more efficient.
That, and a sometimes jerky start, are the things that bug me about it. I've always feathered the brake to avoid an abrupt stop, and the auto stop/start system completely negates that.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
That, and a sometimes jerky start, are the things that bug me about it. I've always feathered the brake to avoid an abrupt stop, and the auto stop/start system completely negates that.
Totally agree. I noticed this auto/stop start issue was just added to the running list thread. Will be interested to see if anyone has any solutions (other than turning the system off) for this when chatting with their dealer.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is sq5 getting like a noise when they come to a complete stop coming from the brakes? I guess a grunt noise?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Is sq5 getting like a noise when they come to a complete stop coming from the brakes? I guess a grunt noise?
Yes, my brakes squeak/grunt when at very low speeds coming to a stop. Put about 700 miles on the car so far and haven't changed much since day 1.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by patmurphey
Second button over on the climate control panel is AC on/off. Refer to page 71 of the manual for more info.
Yep. In this photo (in the yellow circle), push the tab down once (to "OFF") and later pull the tab up once (to "ON" - once more takes it to "MAX"). I only had it off so-as to confirm that the auto-start/stop was working.
With the AC off it worked. The service tech I spoke with confirmed the manual where it states that the onboard computer checks a lot of things before start/stop kicks in - and if there is a serious load on the system, it will not activate (AC being a large load).

Last edited by Boink; 07-26-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been much happier since I disabled this darn thing with obdeleven, and I don't miss it one bit. When it occasionally rears its head if I turn off AC for some reason, it is quite jarring and I turn AC right back on.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There are also some weird and unexpected side effects of turning the engine and alternator off - the auto up/down windows/sunroof no longer work (you have to hold the switch), the windshield wipers immediately stop wherever they are on the windshield, the steering wheel nearly locks and sometimes turns the wheels slightly, and maybe other things that I'm forgetting. I think that's one of the things that the 48v mild hybrid functionality is supposed to address.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I have been much happier since I disabled this darn thing with obdeleven, and I don't miss it one bit. When it occasionally rears its head if I turn off AC for some reason, it is quite jarring and I turn AC right back on.
See, thats a band aid at best.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester7677
See, thats a band aid at best.
It is what it is. Depending on what your aim is, it is more than a band-aid. My aim was to have start/stop inactive all of the time. Audi does not give us that option, but through coding, my start/stop is disabled 99% of the time I am on the road. That is darn near all of the time, and works well enough for me.

Quick Reply: Start/Stop automatic feature...