Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

stupid auto braking again

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stupid auto braking again

TWICE today, the car engaged in emergency auto braking for no good reason. both times were in reverse, this is getting out of control. The only thing missing is red sirens on top the car with bull horns announcing this debacle. Once was at gas station, again, and I was backing up... there was no one moving behind me, just parked cars that I was no where near. Second was just now backing out of a spot, and while there was traffic passing by, it was NOT anywhere close to me. This is pissing me of stupid car is braking for no reason. I've had it. This is enough to make me hate this car that I didn't love already.
So stupid.. and don't tell me this does more benefit than harm as I paid close attention today to the situation and neither was justified in the emergency braking. Come on Audi, I'll drive the car if you don't mind. you aren't saving any accidents as no accident was imminent. This is the problem with AI and self driving cars or pre sense or call it whatever you want, they make mistakes and they are not human so they cannot make decisions as we do. Today was a mistake, twice period.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
TWICE today, the car engaged in emergency auto braking for no good reason. both times were in reverse, this is getting out of control. The only thing missing is red sirens on top the car with bull horns announcing this debacle. Once was at gas station, again, and I was backing up... there was no one moving behind me, just parked cars that I was no where near. Second was just now backing out of a spot, and while there was traffic passing by, it was NOT anywhere close to me. This is pissing me of stupid car is braking for no reason. I've had it. This is enough to make me hate this car that I didn't love already.
So stupid.. and don't tell me this does more benefit than harm as I paid close attention today to the situation and neither was justified in the emergency braking. Come on Audi, I'll drive the car if you don't mind. you aren't saving any accidents as no accident was imminent. This is the problem with AI and self driving cars or pre sense or call it whatever you want, they make mistakes and they are not human so they cannot make decisions as we do. Today was a mistake, twice period.
Mine did this when I was backing out of a spot like a K turn. There was cross traffic but nowhere near me. I had over shot my turn so I pulled into a gas station and then backed out to do a quick K turn. When the Q5 detected cross traffic that was 3 lanes away the car slammed on its breaks
Old 10-01-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did it last week backing up in the middle of a street, I did get out and look, nothing there before or after, it is so abrupt. It was a rare sunny day in Seattle, so perhaps that is to blame . To be fair it also stopped me while backing up slowly at my gym parking lot when a prius came speeding by without warning.
It is worth it when it saves you from an accident but the false stops are no fun.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m glad I don’t have this issue as the dealer already doesn’t know how to verify most of my complaints.

With th all this technology the first thing Audi or others should have created a log file of all this events and it logic for troubleshooting. But even if they did they probably won’t give access or train service in USA on it
Old 10-01-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok well I'm glad it's not just me or my car lol.... sounds like the programming or how this thing works needs some tweaking....
and while I hear you it may save an accident one day, it's happened to me 3 times in 1 month of ownership when like you, there was only traffic about 3 lanes distance away and it's VERY annoying.
they should at least allow us to disable it
Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, when I go in for first service I'm still going to bring it up as a problem with the car to see what they say, if anything, and hopefully it's not the old hated "cannot replicate problem" answer LOL
Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Pretty sure you don't need 50 threads about your displeasure of pre-sense. We got it the last couple of times that you've driven 1 million+ miles and don't need the car thinking for you....
Old 10-01-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lol well it’s not 50.... if you notice the other thread above wasnt even mine... but it it pisses me off that much so maybe I’ll start another thread just for you and make it two threads ... what I usually do if I’m not interested in a particular subject or-if I don’t have something somewhat helpful to say, is just skip it... just saying ...but it’s cool I can handle it....
Old 10-01-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wires
Pretty sure you don't need 50 threads about your displeasure of pre-sense. We got it the last couple of times that you've driven 1 million+ miles and don't need the car thinking for you....
oh btw, it’s not the pre-sense warning as I adjusted that and it’s not a problem, it’s the actual sudden engaging of the brakes with no warning and no pre anything when in reverse...
Old 10-01-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did this twice a few weeks ago backing out of my parking spot at work. What I suspect happened was when I back out of my spot, there is a drain that makes the back end of my SQ5 dip
down suddenly. I think the sensor saw the pavement suddenly appear, and applied the brakes. Both times this happened, I was backing out rather aggressively. When I just back out
of the spot normally it was fine. This is just my opinion of what happened to me.

I'll try it again tomorrow and report back.

Quick Reply: stupid auto braking again