Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

stupid auto braking again

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying and potentially dangerous

I live on a business road and, about once a week, while backing out, the brakes are slammed on with no warning. The cause is a passing car in the far lane (not the near one that I'm trying to back into). Scares me senseless every time! It also delays my entry into the lane and my shift into drive and forward motion and out of the vulnerability of sitting motionless in busy traffic. The other day the delay contributed to my almost getting rear-ended by a suddenly appearing car in the near lane! I have been backing out of this driveway unassisted for 17 years with no issue.

Does anyone know a way to turn off this sudden braking?

If anyone from Audi is reading this -- please give us control over this. AI is not anything like as smart as human intelligence -- that's why we call it "artificial."

thanks for listening.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the past 10 months, I've had the auto brakes engaged twice while reversing on to my driveway - when there was nothing nearby. Once I had it engage while I was making a left hand turn. I anticipated the on-coming car to clear and I would complete the turn just as they past. The SQ5 sensed it as danger. I was lucky the car behind me didn't rear-end me. I wish there was a way to turn it off.

Even the pre-sense display on the dash is annoying - when no brakes are engaged.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with both of you, it was the most annoying feature in the car and it obviously does not work properly. fortunately, I sold the audi already and it's not a problem for me anymore... but I feel your pain. I only had the car for 1 month and had 5 instances where it went off by error. it needs to be addressed by Audi as it clearly is happening to many people not just me.
I would keep complaining to your dealer upon service and maybe one day they will fix it or allow it to be turned off.
good luck
Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had this happen about a half dozen times and it’s getting ridiculous. The past 2 times occurred while in my driveway backing out of the garage. I am on the verge of getting whiplash from this stupid technology. Wait, I think I did get it...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree too with the original post. This feature is engaged on my car probably once every two weeks as I back out of my driveway or make a K-turn on a street. Cars nowhere nearby and emergency brake is engaged very abruptly. I hate this feature with a passion and would never want it on a future vehicle. If you are an observant driver, this is useless in my opinion. In the ten months I've owned the car, this has engaged about 2 dozen times, none of which I was in any harm or danger whatsoever.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I came across this post because it happened to me about a month into ownership as I backed into a spot. It was somewhat of a parallel park because I was in the front of the line of cars. It jolted so much that I thought I ground the gears, which I have done in my 69 horsepower Fiat Panda. Then I realized that the car is an automatic and that it is is impossible to grind the gears because the transmission is electronic. Not sure what caused it to engage.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

I started thinking about the desire of some to disable pre-sense. I've noticed under certain conditions sensors stop working ( e.g. dirt). Would it be possible to disable pre-sense by hindering the sensors (e.g. placing something over them) and causing the system to shut down? There is also a fuse for side assist. Not sure if this were removed if pre-sense or cross traffic alert would still work.

I'm ok with the system myself. Just thinking ...
Old 10-25-2018, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for the ability to disable both the proximity warning and the pre-sense braking on-the-fly.
My wife gets the brakes slammed on about 50% of the time she backs into the garage - she's definitely being conditioned to ignore it - heaven help us if she really hits something as she's learned to just keep on going.
Our Infinity has a push-button switch on the dash that allows me to disable the rear proximity warning - simple and easy to engage/disengage. It lights up red when the warning is disabled.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if there is a rhyme or reason of why some people are negatively impacted by this feature, and why some are not. I am 6 months in with my SQ5, live in a highly congested state and tri-state area of NY, NJ and CT, park in my house garage each night, park in a park and ride parking lot every day to commute into Manhattan, etc. And I can maybe remember one instance of a weird jolt or sudden stop with pre-sense. It has helped me a couple of times though with some quick braking in some situations. Anyway, I probably just jinxed myself, but this does not seem to have affected me. Not sure about others.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I've never had a false positive either. It's governed by the cameras (no other sensors). Perhaps the speed people are reversing? I don't fly around in reverse, I tend to back out quite slow.

Quick Reply: stupid auto braking again