Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Swapping front reflectors. DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Swapping front reflectors. DIY?

Has anyone changed the front orange reflectors on a new Q5/SQ5?
I'm looking to get these but would like to hear if anyone has done the swap yet. https://tagmotorsports.com/audi-18-s...lector-package

The manufacturer claims that you need to access them by moving the fender liner and basically pry them out from the rear side as they are adhered to the inside of the bumper. Not sure if that's something I can do myself or if I have to bring the car in to have this done.

Note: I do not want to put any stickers on the reflectors, I've tried that on a previous car and they have always fallen off after a couple months.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am also interested in this. Has anyone swapped front reflectors yet?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's possible to do it yourself by removing the fender liner. A heat gun or other heat source can help to loosen the adhesive holding the reflector in place to make it easier to remove. You could also remove the bumper entirely, but if your car has the Driver Assistance Package it's recommended to recalibrate ACC after.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$183 for that is a little pricey IMO.

Lamin-X has tinted film for these two front reflectors. SQ5 on order but i plan on getting both the tinted ones and the smoke ones from lamin-x to see which matches and looks best.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you tried the lamin-x ones before? I bought a set of similar stick on reflector smoked stickers for my bmw and they fell off after a few car washes. It was really disappointing. I ended up getting painted reflectors for ~$150 and never had an issue. Those were much easier to change out. I’m intimidated trying to diy the sq5 reflectors
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
It's possible to do it yourself by removing the fender liner.
I started a post on this several months ago. Bought the Tag Motorsports painted reflectors. I (think I) removed all of the T25 screws, but cannot get the liner to budge at all. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RSTED
I started a post on this several months ago. Bought the Tag Motorsports painted reflectors. I (think I) removed all of the T25 screws, but cannot get the liner to budge at all. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing?
Here are the fender liner removal instructions. This should help. Then all you do is heat up the reflector and pull it off from the inside as indicated above.
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone successfully removed the fender liner and replaced the front reflectors with painted ones yet?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
$183 for that is a little pricey IMO.

Lamin-X has tinted film for these two front reflectors. SQ5 on order but i plan on getting both the tinted ones and the smoke ones from lamin-x to see which matches and looks best.
Did you tint the front reflectors with Lamin-x? Any pictures? Have you gone through a carwash?
Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zolo
Has anyone changed the front orange reflectors on a new Q5/SQ5?
I'm looking to get these but would like to hear if anyone has done the swap yet. https://tagmotorsports.com/audi-18-s...lector-package

The manufacturer claims that you need to access them by moving the fender liner and basically pry them out from the rear side as they are adhered to the inside of the bumper. Not sure if that's something I can do myself or if I have to bring the car in to have this done.

Note: I do not want to put any stickers on the reflectors, I've tried that on a previous car and they have always fallen off after a couple months.
I have not tried this on the Audi, but I know from my BMW days that you can usually just pry them out from the outside using a flathead.

But even if you need to pull the fender liners that shouldn't be hard. DOn't waste money bringing it in

Quick Reply: Swapping front reflectors. DIY?