Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Recording off Cameras on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recording off Cameras on Q5

I thinking about buying a dash cam and it got me thinking. I have a 2018 Q5 Prestige with DAP and the parking assist. The car has multiple cameras including one in the center of the front grill. Has anyone ever investigated using this camera to record video - the front one would be especially useful and eliminate the need to buy a dash cam. With the way people drive these days it would be cool if you could use the existing cameras to record incidents - any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about the same thing. Perhaps it would be possible, you might even be able to link the SD slots to store footage.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered about that too. It might be possible but remember there is no data associated with the cameras that provide time, date, location, speed, etc. If you want the recording for legal purposes this information may be needed. I finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle and inevitable voiding of cars camera warranty. I just bit the bullet and purchased a Blackvue DR750S - 2 channel (front and back camera). This unit will stay active when parked, has a cloud interface and a ton of other features. If you have it professionally installed make sure they remove the protective film that covers the camera body. This film blocks the ventilation holes and could cause major damage in short order. My installer didn't do this but I caught it quickly.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like that Blackvue unit. I wonder how hard it is to tap into the mirror power. They use the Mirror tap system? Can you post a picture of your install?