Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5 (undecided on P+ or Prestige), and it would be my first Audi (coming from a Lexus). I wanted to see if any current 2018 owners can share their thoughts on the vehicle, especially any issues/problems that you all have come across; or issues I should be aware or look for during a test drive. I'm a little concerned about it being the first model year and produced in a brand new factory. Thanks so much in advance!!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

#1 Get the Prestige.
#2 Get the DAP
#3 Get the fine Napa leather
#4 Don't get the 21" tires -- they are a cosmetic upgrade -- if you are good with that and want that, go for them. Don't opt for the all-seasons, they're GT tires.
#5 Test drive two identical cars, ONE with the sport package and ONE without (same wheels on both) -- decide if you want to lower the CUV to virtually a car's ride height. Decide if you can see yourself driving aggressively enough to justify the sport differential. It's only a $3,000 decision on a car that is already close to $62+ thousand.

The prestige package is a prerequisite to DAP -- and it includes heads-up display and dual pane front door glass -- for quietness.

Once you get prestige, DAP, and napa leather -- everything else is gravy.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Must have options: Prestige and fine nappa leather.

Option I would highly suggest: S sport package. Love the air suspension it makes the ride quality excellent. Also love the ability to lower or raise the car. Air suspension is the future pretty much all luxury SUVs already have it or are getting it. If you plan on keeping the car longer than 5 years then I would probably go with the regular suspension because no one knows the reliability of this new air suspension yet. But we do know out of warranty it would be costly to repair.

Wheel selection depends if you live up north I would go with 20" wheels so you can use winter tires. If you don't live up north I suggest the 21" wheels simply because they make the car look a lot better. If you opt for the sport package then don't be concerned about ride quality because the air suspension does a great job of providing a cushy ride even on 21" wheels.

I'm not really into driving assistance features so I skipped the DAP.

As far as reliability I think it's a little too soon for anyone to provide any legitimate feedback.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 AM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

make sure you try the Q5 also. I find it to be very quick and the gas mileage for me has been excellent.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Subscribing to this thread, in the market for my first Audi as well.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank y'all so much! Please keep going.
Wheel selection depends if you live up north I would go with 20" wheels so you can use winter tires. If you don't live up north I suggest the 21" wheels simply because they make the car look a lot better. If you opt for the sport package then don't be concerned about ride quality because the air suspension does a great job of providing a cushy ride even on 21" wheels.
I definitely like the 21-inch wheels much better, but may need to get winter tire; I'm in Maryland.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a THOROUGH test drive and pre delivery inspection. My Q5 had several issues that should have been caught at the factory. Hole in Carpet that had exposed framework in back, which needed to be replaced. Seat wasn't level and had to be replaced and several visits for a rattling sunroof.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tend to agree with above suggestions to go Prestige, worth the upgrade. I test drove the Mercedes glc43 and thought the drivetrain was better, quicker more responsive throttle, liked everything else about Audi better especially the suspension, the glc suspension could be jarring over rough roads. The tech in sq is overall better, more intuitive, very functional. The sq is a new model made in a new factory in Mexico, the Mercedes is made in Germany in its second year. Higher risk factor in Audi due to unknown reliability issues regarding new model and Mexico versus glc made in Germany. Had I liked the suspension in glc better may still have gone in that direction. I live in Florida, if I was in the north I would not get the 21’s despite that they are really nice looking rims, too much risk of blowouts and damaged rims and limited choice for all season tires, if any. As far as the Mercedes, they seem to have less availability with nice option packages and probably less discounts, the sq buyers seem to be getting 8-10% discounts, I think they should given it’s a new model, made in Mexico and Audi still smells from emissions scandal. I’ve had mine for a month and really enjoy it so far but only have 600 miles on it. I have the DAP package but haven’t played around much yet with the autonomous driving, that could be fun in traffic. The cabin with the sound proof glass you get with the Prestige package is really quiet, worth it for that alone, only way to get it. The Macan s is really nice as well but maybe a half a generation behind the sq and not as nice an interior, not as good a value proposition to sq. That’s all. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Premium Plus owner here with every option that you can get under that trim level and 21's living here in NH. I don't agree that Prestige is needed but that's just me, and I'm quite picky.

If I did a lot of long travels by car like I used to (2+ hrs each way), I would agree, but since I don't can't say it's needed. I had some of those features in a loaded Murano Platinum and they aren't missed. Less to malfunction or break.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
#5 Test drive two identical cars, ONE with the sport package and ONE without (same wheels on both) -- decide if you want to lower the CUV to virtually a car's ride height. Decide if you can see yourself driving aggressively enough to justify the sport differential. It's only a $3,000 decision on a car that is already close to $62+ thousand.

Do you know the ride height difference? I have the S but not sure how the standard ride height is.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.