Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat and keep coming back to the SQ5 as the best in it's class for someone who likes sportier utility vehicles. I just can't find anything better for the price. I won't lie, my prejudice for things made in Mexico has definitely made me question a purchase of vehicles from there. I've owned VWs made in Mexico plants that were a disaster, where the German made ones never had a single issue. Anecdotal perhaps, but still gives me pause.

As far as the features go, I'm also leaning towards the prestige with DAP. After driving a vehicle with DAP, I cannot imagine purchasing a vehicle without it. I have to think it's going to be a must have for any vehicle for the future and should help the residual value noticeably..

It seems that most like the napa leather interiors. I'm curious for those of you in hot climates, has anyone tried their hot weather package seats? I know they don't look as nice, but where I live they can add to the comfort of travel considerably in other vehicles I've owned. However, I've never tried them in an Audi and would welcome comments.

How do people like the upgraded stereo? In person it was unimpressive compared to their BOSE offerings of past years, but I didn't get a lot of time with it.

There are probably four things I dislike about the Audi (way more things that I do like). I don't like that it's made in Mexico, the fake exhaust tips feel like Audi is trolling me, the dash screen looks like a cheap after thought (and it won't disappear like other Audis), and I'm not a fan of their 2018 chrome grills (no black optic option yet)

I'm also interested in hearing how flexible your Audi dealers have been on price.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua (wishbone)
I'm in the same boat and keep coming back to the SQ5 as the best in it's class for someone who likes sportier utility vehicles. I just can't find anything better for the price. I won't lie, my prejudice for things made in Mexico has definitely made me question a purchase of vehicles from there. I've owned VWs made in Mexico plants that were a disaster, where the German made ones never had a single issue. Anecdotal perhaps, but still gives me pause.

As far as the features go, I'm also leaning towards the prestige with DAP. After driving a vehicle with DAP, I cannot imagine purchasing a vehicle without it. I have to think it's going to be a must have for any vehicle for the future and should help the residual value noticeably..

It seems that most like the napa leather interiors. I'm curious for those of you in hot climates, has anyone tried their hot weather package seats? I know they don't look as nice, but where I live they can add to the comfort of travel considerably in other vehicles I've owned. However, I've never tried them in an Audi and would welcome comments.

How do people like the upgraded stereo? In person it was unimpressive compared to their BOSE offerings of past years, but I didn't get a lot of time with it.

There are probably four things I dislike about the Audi (way more things that I do like). I don't like that it's made in Mexico, the fake exhaust tips feel like Audi is trolling me, the dash screen looks like a cheap after thought (and it won't disappear like other Audis), and I'm not a fan of their 2018 chrome grills (no black optic option yet)

I'm also interested in hearing how flexible your Audi dealers have been on price.
Most people obviously not happy about fake exhaust tips but in scheme of things that’s minor. The nav screen location doesn’t bother me anymore, Mercedes does it that way as well, I’m used to it, it’s a good readable location for the screen. The stereo could be a tad better with more visceral impact but overall pretty decent, clean mids and highs, good transients and detail. I was told by the finance guy at my dealership that Audi brought over an extensive team of management, technicians, workers, etc., to make sure it all goes well in Mexico, this is their single most important vehicle. But this is a risk, time will tell. The Napa leather seats are nice. Regards. Ned
Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Most people obviously not happy about fake exhaust tips but in scheme of things that’s minor. The nav screen location doesn’t bother me anymore, Mercedes does it that way as well, I’m used to it, it’s a good readable location for the screen. The stereo could be a tad better with more visceral impact but overall pretty decent, clean mids and highs, good transients and detail. I was told by the finance guy at my dealership that Audi brought over an extensive team of management, technicians, workers, etc., to make sure it all goes well in Mexico, this is their single most important vehicle. But this is a risk, time will tell. The Napa leather seats are nice. Regards. Ned
You know, it's funny. In every other car I just put in a vent holder and plaster my phone up there, but it just feels weird for an OEM manufacturer and it's not exactly a good replacement for a fully functional phone I would normally stick in that location. Still, I'm sure it wouldn't really bother me all that much. I agree, it's at a good location for viewing and I actually prefer the controls vs touch screen that most reviewers keep mentioning. I'm not a huge fan of touch sensitive items in vehicles.

I think I'm more surprised than really upset about the exhaust tips. It just feels like a risky move on Audi's part. I'm sure it was a cost/engineering issue but it seems like it would have been better to just hide the exhaust all together, than to fake it. I'd love to hear the story behind that decision.

thanks for the feedback on the stereo. I miss the older BOSE systems. I always always so impressed with Audi's stereos in the past.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua (wishbone)
You know, it's funny. In every other car I just put in a vent holder and plaster my phone up there, but it just feels weird for an OEM manufacturer and it's not exactly a good replacement for a fully functional phone I would normally stick in that location. Still, I'm sure it wouldn't really bother me all that much. I agree, it's at a good location for viewing and I actually prefer the controls vs touch screen that most reviewers keep mentioning. I'm not a huge fan of touch sensitive items in vehicles.

I think I'm more surprised than really upset about the exhaust tips. It just feels like a risky move on Audi's part. I'm sure it was a cost/engineering issue but it seems like it would have been better to just hide the exhaust all together, than to fake it. I'd love to hear the story behind that decision.

thanks for the feedback on the stereo. I miss the older BOSE systems. I always always so impressed with Audi's stereos in the past.
I used to not really care for the Bose sound, the company’s original product was the Bose 901 speaker, an array of midrange drivers in a triangular cabinet whose sound reflected off the front wall. Their early car systems were all midrange sounding but warm and spacious sounding, no top or bottom. In recent years they’ve gotten much better. I have the B&O system in my s8 plus and it’s thoroughly mediocre sounding, stupid metal grills on doors with pinholes block much of the sound, no real detail or transient response, no emotion in sound, sterile. The sq B&O is more involving sounding, can’t play as loud and clean as s8 system but still better, imo. With more bottom end could be excellent, but bass is usually the issue in car audio, expensive to do right. On the exhaust tips, I thoroughly agree, they should have shown nothing, while I’ve seen people on the Mercedes glc43 forum claim it was a deal killer, if you really like the sq versus the glc and the tips were the deal killer, that seems pretty stupid to me. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No highs? No lows? Must be BOSE? Popular saying years ago. I always felt that most BOSE systems performed extremely well at a certain volume, usually lower. Which worked for 90% of the time I was listening. The bass problem is not hard to solve, I just think that the manufacturers feel it won't be appreciated by most. The kicker system (with a factory sub) performed extremely well in my SRT8 challenger, I think that a lot manufactures could take some pointers from Dodge and I can't believe I'm actually saying that. The Sony system in my Ford Raptor (also with factory sub) sounds abysmal. I guess I've just gotten too picky but I've heard good factory systems and a $1000 upgrade should be more impressive. *dead horse officially beat*

I'm also considering the AMG GLC43. I really need to go test drive one.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from a Lexus RX350 to the SQ5 Prestige. I had high expectations and was not disappointed. Four+ months, 5000 miles and no issues. I would also recommend the DAP and maybe the air suspension. Options drive the price up but if that’s not an issue then go for all that fit your needs. The base vehicle handles very well and gets very good economy for a performance car. The tech is outstanding. It’s my wife’s car but I drive it every chance I get. There is just no comparison to a Lexus, can’t think of one real advantage with Lexus. We took a year looking and driving all the others more than once.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a reason audiophiles call them BLOWS
Old 11-13-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
I went from a Lexus RX350 to the SQ5 Prestige. I had high expectations and was not disappointed. Four+ months, 5000 miles and no issues. I would also recommend the DAP and maybe the air suspension. Options drive the price up but if that’s not an issue then go for all that fit your needs. The base vehicle handles very well and gets very good economy for a performance car. The tech is outstanding. It’s my wife’s car but I drive it every chance I get. There is just no comparison to a Lexus, can’t think of one real advantage with Lexus. We took a year looking and driving all the others more than once.
Funny you mention a Lexus RX350; what year was yours? I almost leased one this past weekend until I read on a Lexus forum with videos of weird engine droning/vibrating issues from multiple owners. Even though it probably only affects a small percentage of all RX production, it gave me cold feet. I'm coming from a GS350 which has been rock solid (knock on wood). Audi quality has definitely been up there with Lexus and Toyota in recent years and thought I'd consider it. The SQ5 is definitely a lot more fun, especially love the exhaust "burble" during gear changes.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues here from smooth perfect delivery to 2000 miles later and running on winter wheels and tires now. There is one random bug though that seems to bother people (including me) and that is the surround view camera defaults to off for some reason and does not stay on. The rear view camera and parking sensors work as expected but surround view camera is a manual menu option thing which is a total glitch and we are all expecting will be fixed someday. There is also a hint of throttle and turbo lag that bothers some people but it's minor and you get used to it. Everything else is pure deliciousness.

I highly recommend my build but it's basically loaded except cold weather pack. See my signature below. I would not give up any of my options although I wouldn't know how good some of them are if I hadn't spec'd them. My basic requirement was S sport pack with the air suspension and 21" wheels but I snowballed from there and do not regret paying for the options one bit. Here was my initial write up: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...8-sq5-2933303/

If you want to cross shop I would highly recommend checking out the new BMW X3 M40i which just hit the dealerships. It will be faster, more sporting, have a different style, but may be less luxurious and can't be had with the smooth as butter air suspension. Prices are pretty similar. See a discussion here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...di-sq5-2936245
Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kanack49
Do you know the ride height difference? I have the S but not sure how the standard ride height is.
Ground clearance specs:

Standard NO air suspension: 8.2"

Air suspension:
Offroad: 9.0"
Allroad: 8.2"
Auto: 7.0"
Dynamic: 6.4"
Rear loading: I don't have the specs but looks like about 1.5-2" below dynamic to me.

So for driving the air suspension can sit 1.8" lower than standard suspension and raise 0.8" higher for total adjustment of 2.6"
For reference the 2018 BMW X3 has 8.0" ground clearance.

Last edited by Transfer; 11-13-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.