Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua (wishbone)
You know, it's funny. In every other car I just put in a vent holder and plaster my phone up there, but it just feels weird for an OEM manufacturer and it's not exactly a good replacement for a fully functional phone I would normally stick in that location. Still, I'm sure it wouldn't really bother me all that much. I agree, it's at a good location for viewing and I actually prefer the controls vs touch screen that most reviewers keep mentioning. I'm not a huge fan of touch sensitive items in vehicles.
Some of it is personal preference, but I think the positioning of the screen is better than in any other compact SUV I test drove. And I test drove a lot of them.

Because it's above the dash, I can take a quick glance without feeling like I'm taking my eyes too much off the road. And I don't want it to fold away - the fewer moving parts, the better.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paperbridge
Some of it is personal preference, but I think the positioning of the screen is better than in any other compact SUV I test drove. And I test drove a lot of them.

Because it's above the dash, I can take a quick glance without feeling like I'm taking my eyes too much off the road. And I don't want it to fold away - the fewer moving parts, the better.
And being closer to the driver as opposed to being at all recessed in the dash makes it effectively bigger. Not necessarily as clean a way to do but more practical. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a particular reason people are urging SQ5 buyers to take the Nappa leather? I have a B8 S4 and I like the Alcantara interior, so I've been planning to go Alcantara whenever I finally buy an SQ5. Now you guys have me wondering,
Old 11-14-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm in the same boat and keep coming back to the SQ5 as the best in it's class for someone who likes sportier utility vehicles. I just can't find anything better for the price. I won't lie, my prejudice for things made in Mexico has definitely made me question a purchase of vehicles from there. I've owned VWs made in Mexico plants that were a disaster, where the German made ones never had a single issue. Anecdotal perhaps, but still gives me pause.

As far as the features go, I'm also leaning towards the prestige with DAP. After driving a vehicle with DAP, I cannot imagine purchasing a vehicle without it. I have to think it's going to be a must have for any vehicle for the future and should help the residual value noticeably..

It seems that most like the napa leather interiors. I'm curious for those of you in hot climates, has anyone tried their hot weather package seats? I know they don't look as nice, but where I live they can add to the comfort of travel considerably in other vehicles I've owned. However, I've never tried them in an Audi and would welcome comments.

How do people like the upgraded stereo? In person it was unimpressive compared to their BOSE offerings of past years, but I didn't get a lot of time with it.The

There are probably four things I dislike about the Audi (way more things that I do like). I don't like that it's made in Mexico, the fake exhaust tips feel like Audi is trolling me, the dash screen looks like a cheap after thought (and it won't disappear like other Audis), and I'm not a fan of their 2018 chrome grills (no black optic option yet)

I'm also interested in hearing how flexible your Audi dealers have been on price.
The B&O stereo is a big upgrade. If you were (yawn) under-impressed by it, well, there's a chance you didn't set the equalizer and also a chance you didn't bring your own CD (yes, I said CD) with you. If you listened to sat radio, I'm saddened to tell you that the dynamic range has been compressed way the hell out of most of the fare on SiriusXM -- as has the frequency response. While we're bashing stuff, just remember this: No-highs, no-lows, must be Bose.

The B&O set up has a decent sub-woofer.

However, one of the "rules" of test driving is to bring your own "demonstration" CD with you and use it in all of your test drives -- which should also always cover the same streets, roads, and highways (and if possible at the same speeds). Equalizing the sound systems -- using a track on your CD that you "know" has the crispness and bombast YOU find pleasing is also a pretty big "must do," too. Most people totally fork up their test drives (this assumes they are testing more than one possible vehicle) by making each one unique, which is pretty much a waste of time -- even if it is an enjoyable hobby (my wife and I test drive at least one Saturday every other month and replace our cars about every 4 years, so we get a lot of testing in.) If you're hobby test driving, do whatever you damn-well please. If you're sincerely trying to use the test-drive to help you make a decision, you need to test whatever it is you're testing over the same route, with the same tunes playing and, well you get the picture, test driving should allow you to actually compare two or more possible vehicles as objectively as possible. Only the **** need apply, to be brutally honest.

Regarding price, you should be able to get 6% off. You'll likely get more off on an ordered vehicle than one in stock -- unless the one in stock just got there. Most dealers find it a lot easier to discount a car that they really don't have to borrow any money to buy, and one that you order and pick up within a day or two of its arrival, provides them with greater flexibility when it comes to discounting. Moreover, you'll be happier -- generally speaking -- with YOUR car ordered the way YOU want it. Of course, if you can find a car "already here" that meets your needs, well call it kismet and buy it NOW. Regardless, you should still test drive objectively and with your own CD. I keep saying CD because there is a greater chance for the full dynamic range and full fidelity with a CD over a "file" on your iPhone. By the way, when I say CD, I do mean a commercially purchased CD, not one that you made.

Some folks claim they get more than 6% off MSRP, and I'm sure they do -- but the thing is, the only way you're going to know is if you will WALK if you go for 7% (or whatever) and they say "no way." He who blinks first loses will come into play. If you're going to lease, you may find the P+ gets you a pimple lower money factor or a tiny bit higher residual. Buying AudiCare may also have some impact on the price too.

The plant in Mexico is new. The automation in it is new. The software in it is the same software used elsewhere -- I assume the software is in Spanish, I can't imagine the workers had to learn German or hit the road.
The people who work in the plant -- many of them -- were flown to Germany to "learn how it's done" (in Spanish, no less) from the Germans themselves.
The Mexicans who work in the plant don't want to lose their situations, just like the rest of us, so I would think the risk of shoddy assembly is pretty low.
The components are, for better or worse, sourced globally. For all I know, there's a lot of Chinese made parts in Audis these days.
The tires are European (or at least non-American) spec tires (at least our SQ5 is so).
The Warranty is the real deal -- and the engine and transmission are European. I assume 5% of the car is considered consisting of American parts.

I hate the permanently fixed screen on the dash (what were they thinking), it's just like everyone else's -- who's dumass idea was it to put an iPad, permanently affixed on the dash rather than build it in (look at the Macaan, or the last gen SQ5 for pity's sake). You know, though, I'm pretty much used to it, but still wonder why the dash was designed this way. The retracting screen in other Audis is only retracted, in my experience, when no one's at home. So while folks are driving their cars the damn thing is always at attention. I'm over it, though. Ours is Matador Red and we actually like the shiny chrome surround and have a sense that if it were black we would think it wasn't clean. To each his/her own.

My wife wanted the SQ5 because it was "a bit higher off the ground," paying money to make it go "car low" just wasn't a thing for her -- indeed, she thinks if that's what you wanted, "get an allroad."
Again, to each his/her own.

We universally don't like the manhole cover or pie plate 21" wheels, instead preferring the 5-spoke wheels (hers are matador gray which matches her seats). To put a finer point on it -- we chose the wheel we disliked the least. Audi's wheel program sucks so much it obviates the need for gravity.

One last time, to each his/her own.

We like this SQ5 Prestige better even than our 2014 SQ5 Prestige -- and we loved that one. Kept it to nearly 94,000 miles, pretty much trouble free.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jlarke
Is there a particular reason people are urging SQ5 buyers to take the Nappa leather? I have a B8 S4 and I like the Alcantara interior, so I've been planning to go Alcantara whenever I finally buy an SQ5. Now you guys have me wondering,
I'm a bit obsessive and would not want to deal with the Alcantara. If you can keep it looking good, go for it.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

People really like the Nappa. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like 'em at all. Too much bling for my taste. I have the Milano leather with ventilated seats and like the looks of them a lot.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
No-highs, no-lows, must be Bose.
I already beat you to this quote earlier, but I do appreciate the reply.

I found this article an interesting read for those still comparing. It actually ranked the Audi last. Take it for what it's worth, just another data point.
https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Alcantara interior is noticeably cheaper and less comfortable than the leather. This was not the case with the B8s but if you get a chance to sit on both, there is an enormous gap in quality. I liked the B8 Alcantara but quickly passed on the B9 version after testing it in person on an SQ5.

i agree with the B&O comments and will add that the woofers can get a little stressed at higher levels but the subwoofer is much more quality than the prior gen, hitting lower lows and more powerful. The 3D sound works but is a gimmick above low level IMO.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I already beat you to this quote earlier, but I do appreciate the reply.

I found this article an interesting read for those still comparing. It actually ranked the Audi last. Take it for what it's worth, just another data point.
https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test
If you are looking at these three, I urge you to perform your own test and then get the one you like most -- if it conforms to the C&D test, get that one. If not, get YOUR winner.

We're not closed-minded to other brands than Audi. But we've had a lot of history with the brand.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
If you are looking at these three, I urge you to perform your own test and then get the one you like most -- if it conforms to the C&D test, get that one. If not, get YOUR winner.

We're not closed-minded to other brands than Audi. But we've had a lot of history with the brand.
I would assume most people do their own comparison road tests. I read the C&D review during my evaluation period and while agreeing with many of their ratings didn’t agree with all and I most certainly weighted my parameters differently than they did. C&D tends to weight the “track” performance issues very high in their ratings but I’m never taking my sq or any car I own to the track. In real world driving I didn’t feel the performance issues were as one sided as indicated in the review and thought that they under appreciated the better interior design and functional tech in the Audi. It is also my opinion that the suspension of the sq is far superior to the glc in real world driving, much better at dealing with real world imperfections in roads, far more comfortable while handling and driving great, the hard suspension of the glc was a deal killer for me, obviously didn’t phase the motor heads at C&D. How comfortable the chassis and suspension are in a vehicle combined with performance should be a paramount issue, a significant rating issue. If I did my daily driving on the Bonneville Salt Flats, I might have gone with the glc, as the trade offs would have been closer, but imo, the sq was just the better package in value and real world practicality. To me the so called “fun factor”, which C&D denigrate the sq for, is a car that has a great suspension, handles well, has a good/ great drivetrain, nice design in and out, good stereo, great technology and quiet cabin. I think the sq wins in the total package, I would rate it number one in that rating comparison. Regards. Ned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 2018 SQ5...looking for current owner feedback.