Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Thoughts on long term reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thoughts on long term reliability?

I think it would be interesting if people posted to this thread summarizing their thoughts on their MKII Q5's reliability/quality. Many have owned the model for over 1 year, and 2 year owners are not that far down the road. An annual summary assessment by owners may show some very interesting trends.

I'll start.

I have owned my 2018 Q5 for 1 year. I am so far happy with the quality. A seat that sometimes squeaks is my only complaint. The fact it burns no oil makes me very happy.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

We have had ours for 1.5 years. The only issue is that the rear seat frame had to be replaced due to a broken bracket that caused a rattle.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Had a q5 pp from 7/17 to 9/18 and put 16,000 trouble free miles on it. From day one everything fit together the way it was supposed and stayed that way. Found that it met all of my expectations from what reviewers said it would be like......and reviewers universally set a high bar for the car. An added plus was the mileage - on trips about 32 - 34, and normal everyday use about 27 - 29. Had so much good luck with it that I took the next step and traded it for sq5 9/18. At 4500 miles, as good an experience as could be asked for. Mileage, however...............LOL. The sq experience encourages, shall we say, a more robust driving style more often.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just passed 2 years of ownership. No mechanical problems at all. I did note that Consumer Reports originally gave the '18 Q5 an above average reliability score, but they now give it an Average. Is anyone having problems? Nothing major noted in this forum as far as I can tell.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

2.5 years and 30K miles of ownership. Here is a list of items:
- Wheel well trim recall (2X)
- Broken rear seat frame at time of delivery
- Brake master cylinder replaced with new design
- Front window regulators replaced
- MMI unit replaced

Ongoing squeaks, creaks, and rattles.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zatoman
Just passed 2 years of ownership. No mechanical problems at all. I did note that Consumer Reports originally gave the '18 Q5 an above average reliability score, but they now give it an Average. Is anyone having problems? Nothing major noted in this forum as far as I can tell.
Yeah. I noticed the same thing. CR gave it the highest marks in 16 out of 17 categories, and in the 17th, In Car Electronics, they gave it the second highest rating. Yet it was given an Average rating as a Used Car. What those ratings are, are reports from owners about those categories and whether there have been problems. Much of that in fact tracks with what this site reports - biggest complaints about problems seemed to be electronic related i.e. the top camera fiasco, occasional MMI problems, connectivity issues, etc etc. Other than those issues, most of the problems discussed here are one offs, or limited to a few vehicles.
At any rate, for CR to list the car as "average" as far as reliability is concerned is a head scratcher based on their own findings.
BTW, CR also found that across the board for all manufacturers, the biggest issues were electronics. Audi was not being singled out.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blchandl2
2.5 years and 30K miles of ownership. Here is a list of items:
- Wheel well trim recall (2X)
- Broken rear seat frame at time of delivery
- Brake master cylinder replaced with new design
- Front window regulators replaced
- MMI unit replaced

Ongoing squeaks, creaks, and rattles.
Yes, I forgot to mention the wheel trim and the window regulators. They were necessarily fixed, but I never had a problem with either. The other issues you mention are definitely a detraction.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just hit 20k miles and the only issues I've had are a replacement of the driver's side reverse light (covered under warranty) and blowing out the front speakers... however just heard back from the dealer who couldn't replicate the issue. Very well made vehicle and I'm happy with my purchase
Old 01-29-2020, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2018 SQ5 perfect so far. Only issues were what most all others have had. Wheel trim came loose before recall existed and the crazy out of control window regulator all handled under warranty. Overall build quality is solid no complaints.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2018 Q5 PP with 15.5k miles.

1. Window regulator replaced under warranty after window started to rattle/squeak.

2. Constant rattles/squeaks from center console area.... I gave up trying to fix (turning up volume is the temporary fix). Another area with noise is sunroof with shade open.

3. Knocking/thumping sound from front suspension area. Appears to be related to brakes as hard braking can reproduce the sound.

4. Horrible pulsation when braking. Noticeable improvement made after several hard braking.

Car handles and drives amazing though.

Last edited by txl146; 01-29-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on long term reliability?