Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Touch up paint or pen

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

If you are after OEM paint try Volkswagen, I find for the exact same product they are a few dollars cheaper than Audi.
My market does not have the paint pencils but the small pot and brush:
The following users liked this post:
Joyrid3'N (10-24-2019)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Professional detailer. More costly but convenient and a professional job every time.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I’ve ordered from Dr. Colorchip. Let’s see how the color matching is. I’ll be getting mine on Monday and my hood has quite a few rock chips.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I’ve ordered from Dr. Colorchip. Let’s see how the color matching is. I’ll be getting mine on Monday and my hood has quite a few rock chips.
i went to Audi and bought the touch up pens. 17 bucks worth the go
Old 08-11-2018, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gizmo607

i went to Audi and bought the touch up pens. 17 bucks worth the go
Damn I had no idea Audi had touch up pens. How is the color matching?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn I had no idea Audi had touch up pens. How is the color matching?
i gave them my vin and they can look up the code
Old 08-22-2018, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

I just got my ColorChip and applied it yesterday. The color matches just fine, but I can still see the outline of the two chips. They looks much better than before but it does not disappear by any means. In touching the dry paint, the ColorChip patch has a rougher texture than the OEM paint around it. The two chips both appeared to go down to metal, or at least I could see a bit of white / silver in the chip.

I'm curious what you're experience has been with ColorChip. Is this result normal or is there something I am not doing correclty? Are multiple layers needed? I did 2 layers on one of the chips to see if it would get better, which it appears to have.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I just got my ColorChip and applied it yesterday. The color matches just fine, but I can still see the outline of the two chips. They looks much better than before but it does not disappear by any means. In touching the dry paint, the ColorChip patch has a rougher texture than the OEM paint around it. The two chips both appeared to go down to metal, or at least I could see a bit of white / silver in the chip.

I'm curious what you're experience has been with ColorChip. Is this result normal or is there something I am not doing correclty? Are multiple layers needed? I did 2 layers on one of the chips to see if it would get better, which it appears to have.
My experience is exactly the same as yours. It masks the chips but does not fill them up perfectly unless you actually do multiple layers. I did two layers on each chip and called it a day because I might return the car next year since it’s a lease and didn’t feel like spending more time on it right now. It also works decently enough to fill scratches. Obviously the scratch grooves are visible but the paint helps mask it and to an untrained eye, there is no scratch unless you actually know where it was and look for it.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood

My experience is exactly the same as yours. It masks the chips but does not fill them up perfectly unless you actually do multiple layers. I did two layers on each chip and called it a day because I might return the car next year since it’s a lease and didn’t feel like spending more time on it right now. It also works decently enough to fill scratches. Obviously, the scratch grooves are visible but the paint helps mask it and to an untrained eye, there is no scratch unless you actually know where it was and look for it.
I was driving my car in the mountains a few weeks ago and took a rock to the center of the hood. It was a fairly small chip but it went all the way down to the metal and really stood out, so I ordered the Dr. Colorchip. I applied it last week and am very happy with the results, but there is a trick to get the best outcome.

I ended up doing the repair twice and got much better results the second time around. On the first pass, I used my thumb to smear the paint into the chip (as stated in the instructions), but could still see the edges of the chip from a few feet away. The second time, rather than using my finger, I used a business card to "level" the paint into the chip. I then let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then gently used the SealAct. It made the chip practically disappear and the color match is perfect...hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SaddleSC
I was driving my car in the mountains a few weeks ago and took a rock to the center of the hood. It was a fairly small chip but it went all the way down to the metal and really stood out, so I ordered the Dr. Colorchip. I applied it last week and am very happy with the results, but there is a trick to get the best outcome.

I ended up doing the repair twice and got much better results the second time around. On the first pass, I used my thumb to smear the paint into the chip (as stated in the instructions), but could still see the edges of the chip from a few feet away. The second time, rather than using my finger, I used a business card to "level" the paint into the chip. I then let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then gently used the SealAct. It made the chip practically disappear and the color match is perfect...hope this helps.
Yes it does. I would’ve done the same thing you did if I as planning on keeping my car (A7 and SQ5 will be with me for a bit but the A4 might go back next year). And the business card idea is clever. I’ll keep that in mind.
TLDR - Dr. Colorchip is very good for a DIY kit and extremely easy to use as well. I’d totally recommend it.

Quick Reply: Touch up paint or pen