AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   tpms and tire pressure? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/tpms-tire-pressure-2958676/)

Heat00 09-12-2018 12:24 PM

tpms and tire pressure?

maybe I missed it like some other things, hidden deep in menus I can't find but does have a setting or menu anywhere that shows current tire pressure?
If not, does it just give a warning if one is low or below a certain limit? I really hope I just missed it and somewhere it shows actual pressure...
thanks in advance.

uberwgn 09-12-2018 12:32 PM

The majority of Audis sold in the USA don't have in-wheel sensors and can't provide the readout you seek.

Chawski 09-12-2018 01:21 PM

I just had a pressure sensor pop up on the cluster and was annoyed to find that it doesnt tell you which one is low. The VC has the tech to show a Google earth image of exactly where you are on the planet but can't determine which of 4 tires has low pressure....

Heat00 09-12-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by uberwgn (Post 25209589)
The majority of Audis sold in the USA don't have in-wheel sensors and can't provide the readout you seek.

yea I just found it in the manual... hated lol....
$65k car should just show you the pressure of each tire... not the end of the world, just an annoyance so if you see this light then you have to stop, get your hands filthy from brembo dust, and check all 4 pressures by hand meanwhile my charger had a display showing the 4 tire pressures in dash at all time $40k car lol... just saying... would have been nice to include that for us

KaDeTime 09-12-2018 05:47 PM

i see it differently. no need to spend 1000$ when getting a winter tire set and having the dealer reprogram the computer every time you do it. i never have a problem knowing what tire is low as i keep cheeking all tire pressure and the only time i get a warning would be with a flat tire that it would be very easy to spot. plus the main reason is that the spear tire wont have the TPMS and that TPMS will get damaged when used fixa-flat that most new cars use vs a spear tire.

Heat00 09-13-2018 02:54 AM

I hear ya? But fix a flat should never be used lol.... and having a $3 Tpms sensnor in a set of winter tires isn’t a big deal, it’s not thousands of dollars last I checked

KaDeTime 09-13-2018 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Heat00 (Post 25209882)
I hear ya? But fix a flat should never be used lol.... and having a $3 Tpms sensnor in a set of winter tires isn’t a big deal, it’s not thousands of dollars last I checked

fix a flat Should not be used but it’s the most common equipment on the car in the place of spare tire. It’s been some time I needed TPMS and the dealer wanted something around 1k that’s was Cadillac at the time. 3$ I’m not sure that would be right for our cars. The Rs5 has this as an option and I think it’s like 3500$ or something this won’t be just the TPMS but given that a cargo net is 200$ I’m sure that the TPMS won’t be 3$ ;)

Chawski 09-13-2018 05:39 AM

Every car I've ever had with a tpms sensor required holding a single button for 2 to 3 seconds to reset the tpms. Certain things just don't make sense about audi... Don't include a $3 dipstick, can tell you a tire is low, but not which one...

When mine popped on, my rear passenger was at 35, the rest at 36. No visible difference. It wasn't a matter of one going flat, just slightly off from the rest. It's not a big deal to bust out the old trust pressure Guage, it's just weird that cars that cost 1/3 have this ability

uberwgn 09-13-2018 05:54 AM

There is significant additional expense when one swaps out snow tires and summer tires, etc.

I checked with Honda a number of years ago about the cost related to resetting the TPMS and they told me it was $125 each time I came in. That's $250/yr by my math. And you've got to purchase a complete set of sensors for your snow tires/wheels. It all starts to add up.

Everything is a compromise, I think the sensor-less system is brilliant, for the most part.

Heat00 09-13-2018 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by KaDeTime (Post 25209886)

fix a flat Should not be used but it’s the most common equipment on the car in the place of spare tire. It’s been some time I needed TPMS and the dealer wanted something around 1k that’s was Cadillac at the time. 3$ I’m not sure that would be right for our cars. The Rs5 has this as an option and I think it’s like 3500$ or something this won’t be just the TPMS but given that a cargo net is 200$ I’m sure that the TPMS won’t be 3$ ;)

yea I hear ya... and I meant the actual TMPS sensors that go in or on the tire can't be more than a few bucks... I'm just shocked that the "system" could be so expensive when it's found on so many much cheaper cars like honda accords, dodge chargers etc...