Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Trailer Hitch 2018 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is definitely coding changes. Add a different backup camera view. Adds a trailering setting to vehicle. Probably effects the proximity sensor. Haven't tested yet.

Also kick to open works fine. The sweet spot to kick is about 2'' right off the prox sensor on the right side of vehicle. Not in The middle of the vehicle where the trailer hitch hangs. Works every time for me over there.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. Hands free just worked three times in a row. Now, I'll walk down the street and see if I have the same success with the $80k+. Q7s. As far as the hitch goes, it was a deal (relatively speaking) to get the port installed hitch. Even having to go pay $8 to Amazon for a plug converter.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah on port installed hitch... only way to get it.

I had one installed a the dealer on my 14 Q5 after I bought the car and it was ridonk $$.

But being able to haul 4 bikes to a park for a fam excursion or also put in a 500lb carrier from Harbor Freight for gear when we go camping or crap from Home-y D(epot), well life is just easier on the road with the hitch on the (S)Q5.

Oh and my trailer hitch had a plain beauty cap inside the cargo area when I picked it up from the dealer. Not that I used it... https://goo.gl/J6hhGc
Old 07-22-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Question.....if there is a car at the port, can the dealer request the port install the hitch? That amounts to a savings of about 50% compared to having the dealer do it. Like I said, I didn't really want a white Q5, but it was the only one with a port installed hitch. But, after driving it for over three months, it's nice not to stand out like the red S5 did.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaglerescue
Question.....if there is a car at the port, can the dealer request the port install the hitch? That amounts to a savings of about 50% compared to having the dealer do it. Like I said, I didn't really want a white Q5, but it was the only one with a port installed hitch. But, after driving it for over three months, it's nice not to stand out like the red S5 did.
Here's what I was told. Yes they can add it up until the point that it's released for shipping. That isn't long after it hits Port. So probably not but only the dealer checking that specific vehicle can tell for certain.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Here's what I was told. Yes they can add it up until the point that it's released for shipping. That isn't long after it hits Port. So probably not but only the dealer checking that specific vehicle can tell for certain.
It has been reported that the vehicles with a factory hitch ordered are shipped from the factory to port with the rear bumper cover off to facilitate installation. I doubt the port installed hitch could be ordered after the vehicle is shipped from the factory due to liability in the port personnel potentially damaging the bumper cover trying to remove it.

Let's ask SYMAWD...

Grey
Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was guesstimated from the dealership almost 900$ for hitch and 500+ for labor. I think I am just going to use the roof rack for bikes till drawtite comes out with one and DIY it. Pay the dealer for any coding that may need to take place.
I was relieved to discover that my old Whispbar WB200 racks fit the OEM rails t-slot perfectly. Maybe i'll change my mind after I scrape bugs off the bikes a few times......
Old 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rustydog
I was guesstimated from the dealership almost 900$ for hitch and 500+ for labor. I think I am just going to use the roof rack for bikes till drawtite comes out with one and DIY it. Pay the dealer for any coding that may need to take place.
I was relieved to discover that my old Whispbar WB200 racks fit the OEM rails t-slot perfectly. Maybe i'll change my mind after I scrape bugs off the bikes a few times......
After much deliberation for DIY, I decided to go factory, even though I've installed at least a dozen hitches/wiring myself. I ended up buying one from Mickey at AudiOnlineParts for $675 (GREAT service, by the way) and my local dealer is charging $325 labor for everything. Hopefully it all goes together smoothly late next week.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tms0425
After much deliberation for DIY, I decided to go factory, even though I've installed at least a dozen hitches/wiring myself. I ended up buying one from Mickey at AudiOnlineParts for $675 (GREAT service, by the way) and my local dealer is charging $325 labor for everything. Hopefully it all goes together smoothly late next week.
$1000 for OEM is a stellar deal.

Grey
Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustydog
2ndOne18 : Can you please post a picture of the hitch from a distance? About what did it cost?
X2 ... pics please

Originally Posted by montclair2525
There are some photos on this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2918171/page9/
Fixed link,

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2918171/page9/

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch 2018 Q5