Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Very New 2018 Q5 question!

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very New 2018 Q5 question!

Just got my new 2018 Q5 PPlus. Whiling loving the car a lot, I can some questions about it.

1. Can the back mirrors get folded automatically every time I stop the car and extend back when I start the car?
2. Is there a sunglasses holder/cabinet in the front? All my previous cars have it on the top front, but I can't find it in my Q5
3. Can I stop the "auto turn off engine when stop" feature permanently? not pressing that button every time.

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ericguqin@gmail.com
Just got my new 2018 Q5 PPlus. Whiling loving the car a lot, I can some questions about it.

1. Can the back mirrors get folded automatically every time I stop the car and extend back when I start the car?
2. Is there a sunglasses holder/cabinet in the front? All my previous cars have it on the top front, but I can't find it in my Q5
3. Can I stop the "auto turn off engine when stop" feature permanently? not pressing that button every time.

Thanks a lot!
1. Yes, hit menu, vehicle, left option button, vehicle settings, and then there is an option for fold mirrors under the locking menu.
2. no
3. no
Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I keep my sunglasses in the little cubby at the lower left, below the light switches.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a lot!
1. As already mentioned, you can change it in vehicle settings. A little FYI if you keep the mirror adjustment selector switch on the passenger mirror instead of the center the passenger mirror will automatically tilt down when in reverse to better see for parking. Its a nice little feature.
2. I also put mine in the cubby to the bottom left of the steering wheel.
3. No you can not. It is federally mandated in the US so that is why you can't change it. You can however buy an OBDeleven or Ross Tech HEX v2 cable to change to long coding to either remember the setting, disable, or default to off.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks a lot!
1. see previous answers
2. My wraparound sunglasses didn't fit in the Q5's old sunglasses holder up on top... I think new cars are just skipping this feature because of space limitations (see this missing on lots of cars now). I simply put mine up in front of the shifter.
3. On the Q7, if you put the car in Sport mode, the engine doesn't turn off... try that?.. BUT.. Why are you concerned? Why don't you like it turning off? Does it take a long time to turn back on again? My car literally turns on before I can get my foot to the accelerator. and while I am stopped, the car is silent. Doesn't seem like a bad feature to me. I simply let it turn off.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a lot!
Actually, yes... with an OBDeleven, Vag-Com cable, or Ross-tech Hex-v2 cable. Lots of threads about that here already.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
1. see previous answers
2. My wraparound sunglasses didn't fit in the Q5's old sunglasses holder up on top... I think new cars are just skipping this feature because of space limitations (see this missing on lots of cars now). I simply put mine up in front of the shifter.
3. On the Q7, if you put the car in Sport mode, the engine doesn't turn off... try that?.. BUT.. Why are you concerned? Why don't you like it turning off? Does it take a long time to turn back on again? My car literally turns on before I can get my foot to the accelerator. and while I am stopped, the car is silent. Doesn't seem like a bad feature to me. I simply let it turn off.
I don't like the added wear and tear on the starter.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blchandl2
I don't like the added wear and tear on the starter.
Good "logical" reason... but I also understand that the starter has been specifically beefed up to handle this. One other thing to note... Starters hardly work at all these days to get the car started. I don't think that the car makes it past one rotation before the starter stops working.
Just googled "auto stop start cars burn out starters" and found these recent articles... info makes sense since car parts are always being re-engineered to meet the new needs... Science and Engineering sometimes wins over our logical historical reasons... If this was a 1950s starter, we should be concerned. I am now convinced even more that the car can take it.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...r-cars-starter
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-car-s-engine
What is auto stop start and does it cause more wear and tear on my car?
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...re-to-stay.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-...tem#Volkswagen
Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Your starter will probably be fine, but the overpriced battery under the cargo area takes a beating with a lot more drain/charging cycles. I guarantee you won't get a 8-10 year life out of the battery in an auto start/stop vehicle.

Keep in mind when it kicks in, you also lose air conditioning. Under heavy AC load, it prevents activation, but if the AC load is low enough, everything is off, and temperatures move a lot more in the cabin. If the AC has to kick in and work 2x as hard to cool the cabin back down, did you actually save any fuel?