Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

What am I doing wrong- keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong- keyless entry

After 2 months and 1,000 miles, I really only have one annoyance with the Q5. In all other cars I've owned with keyless(including my 15 Allroad), you touch the "divet" on the outer handle to lock and place your fingers around the handle to unlock. Almost every time I go to get in the car, it locks when I place my fingers around the handle so I end up doing this "hands on, hands off, hands on" dance a few times.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

lol...Coming from Lexus to Audi,I thought this is much better..but i got to tell you..there are few things Lexus does better...Any ways, I have the same issue. I thought mine was defective and was planning to take it to dealer ship...but seems like i am not the only one. will wait for others to respond and see if i am doing things differently or i have to do a bit of forgetting Japanese and learning German...
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pradhanavs
lol...Coming from Lexus to Audi,I thought this is much better..but i got to tell you..there are few things Lexus does better...Any ways, I have the same issue. I thought mine was defective and was planning to take it to dealer ship...but seems like i am not the only one. will wait for others to respond and see if i am doing things differently or i have to do a bit of forgetting Japanese and learning German...
I have to be careful not to wrap my hand around the handle as I hook my fingers behind the handle to unlock. The palm of my hand gets too close to the sensor and causes the door to lock again.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by enjens
I have to be careful not to wrap my hand around the handle as I hook my fingers behind the handle to unlock. The palm of my hand gets too close to the sensor and causes the door to lock again.
That's good advice- just frustrating I have to "think" through a simple act rather than just open my door. At least my misery has company!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM
SYR
Audiworld Junior Member

enjens is right, that's how you should do it. I believe that's also the reason they have these "uplifting" handles now, you don't really need to wrap your hand completely around it.

I sometimes drive an A4 and it's exactly the same as the Q5. It's only a problem until you get used to it!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, had the same issue the first week, now I open with fingers only, no thumb, and it seems to prevent touching the locking spot.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was having the same problems because I was reaching for the handle from underneath it. Now I reach for the handle from above and it works the way it was intended.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

In the beginning it was almost a natural tendency to wrap my fingers around the handle and rest my thumb against the lock sensor. Totally sending mixed messages!

Now fingers only pulling upwards and outwards.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm struggling with this also on my 2018 Q5. For me the problem with 're-locking' only seems to occur on the driver's door. I can unlock from the other 3 doors effortlessly. I still haven't figured out the right form to use for unlocking. One day it works a certain way (fingers from bottom vs the top) and the next day it doesn't.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ahcatanese
I'm struggling with this also on my 2018 Q5. For me the problem with 're-locking' only seems to occur on the driver's door. I can unlock from the other 3 doors effortlessly. I still haven't figured out the right form to use for unlocking. One day it works a certain way (fingers from bottom vs the top) and the next day it doesn't.
I just place my four fingers (sans thumb) between the handle and the door and it unlocks, then I pull.

The first time I tried it, I did put my thumb on the outside of the handle and it locked, but now that I'm used to not doing that, it works pretty effortlessly.