Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Wheel swap - 5 hand spoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Wheel swap - 5 hand spoke

Am soon to take delivery of a Q5 Prestige with dealer swapping the 20” 5 spoke for the 19” hand spoke wheels. Dealer was nice to credit me $800. Just a preference for a more traditonal wheel look. Both are nice looking 4 sure... but for me anyways, the hand spoke wheel was a tad too busy looking. Maybe if it was two toned. Amyways, with the white exterior, the “fatter” blk of that larger tire will help add contrast to the white.

Not really knowing that much about tires (only to rotate and maintain psi), are Audi service techs competent in tire work? I realize its not a spliiting the atom exercise to swap out 4 tires. But years back I had my Acura dealer throw a new set of rims and tires on my old car (I know...what was I thinking), and alignment issues came up right after. I know its not going to go thru a Hunter ER alignment machine /road force tire balancing routine, but I think I can expect competent tire balancing, etc.., correct? At least I hope so. My only concern..it will be the Saturday service techs doing this. (prolly should be hunting down those threads).

So begins the pre-delivery nail chomping, hand wringing, xanax inducing anxiety. Maybe reading more posts about Q5 problems will help. (LOL).
Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

They are swapping wheels, not tires (based on your description)

Assuming the wheel and tire set going on is already mounted and balanced the only thing that is going to happen is take off the wheels on the car and put the new ones on, torque the lug bolts to spec.

All in all, doing wheels and tires is the least complicated thing the dealer does on a daily basis.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Admittedly, am overthinking this. Tire balance would only be off if not done correctly at the factory, which would be a rarity (I assume).

This is a dealer swap and car is suppose to be delivered tomorrow. My only concern now is that my sales rep said she forgot to get mileage reading from other dealer before car was loaded up on the transport. So now I wait to see if this will be a "high mileage" car (as subjective as that term is). But prior to setting up the swap, we did discuss my having already turned down another dealers offer for a 178 milage car so hoping she would not go through the hassle of swap with a "high mileage" car knowing my predisposition about mileage.