Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

When folding rear seats, do you have to move up front seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When folding rear seats, do you have to move up front seats?

I have noticed that whenever I fold the rear seats down, I need to move the front seats forward to complete the fold down. The head rests on the back seats always seem to hit the backs of the front seats. I am about 6' tall and sit relatively close to the steering wheel. Anybody run into this? Is it a big deal if you need to fold down the rear seats frequently? Thank you.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always have to as well.
The following users liked this post:
hammergjh (01-18-2021)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

First thing, make sure that the rear seats are slid back to the farthest position. If it still hits it is usually the rear headrest hitting the front backrest. if you tilt the drivers backrest forward, the backseat should make it by, then you could tilt the drivers backrest to the original position. If it still hits because the drivers seat itself needs to be back for safety and comforts sake, you could always remove the rear headrest (instructions are in the owners manual).
GeriatricSQ5Guy (09-05-2021)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm 5'11 - folded down my rear seats last night and they did not interfere, with the headrests in, no problem.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

Yes and it is a pain in the ***. I have to fold my seats up and down a lot and it is a pain to have to push the seats or seat back up every time I want to raise or lower them.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
Yes and it is a pain in the ***. I have to fold my seats up and down a lot and it is a pain to have to push the seats or seat back up every time I want to raise or lower them.
I have the same problem with my A4, but I think it is caused by the rear seats North-American headrests that are taller than the Europeans headrests because of American regulations... My previous A4 did not have those tall headrests and I had no problems then...
edwyun (06-23-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I have the full three row set currently and even tried contacting them for the cargo booth piece but they couldn't even find it in there system - they also couldn't find the three row set product number as well. Their explanation was that once its discontinued they (sales) no longer have access to that information.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm 6ft tall and sit normal in the chair. My back seat folds down just fine without need to move the front seat. You have to make sure to slide the back seat all the way back first... I bet most people don't even know the back seat on our car is adjustable!
edwyun (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
I'm 6ft tall and sit normal in the chair. My back seat folds down just fine without need to move the front seat. You have to make sure to slide the back seat all the way back first... I bet most people don't even know the back seat on our car is adjustable!
Not the issue for me. My back seats are all the way back. The issue is not how forward the seats are but ho w far you tilt your seat back. I do not have my seats pushed back all the way but I do have the seat tilted back and not in the upright position. When I have to fold down the back seats, usually just moving the backrest up does the trick. You probably keep your seat pretty much upright.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be country/region dependent; I think in some countries headrest are full size (up to covering view in rear view mirror), while in some countries these are smaller ('folding' around the edge of back seat, so can be lowered not to obscure view). In this case it is absolutely no problem to fold them, even if driver or front passenger are very tall.

Quick Reply: When folding rear seats, do you have to move up front seats?