Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Ordered my first Audi! Help me with inlay & suspension decisions...

Old 12-31-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered my first Audi! Help me with inlay & suspension decisions...

Just ordered my first Audi - a 2018 Q5 Prestige with DAP, CW, and WW packages. Super excited to have put the order in as my husband and I have literally spent months deliberating over which car to buy. After looking at Audi, BMW, Volvo, Acura and Porsche we ultimately ended up back at the Audi dealer and got a great deal on a custom order Q5 in Utopia blue metallic with nougat brown interior. Have seen a few pictures on here with that combo and it looks GORGEOUS! But, I need help deciding on which inlay to get. Dark Brown Walnut or High Gloss Gray Oak? (The Fine Gray Ash looks nice but I'm not looking to throw down the extra $850.) Here are some pics from the configurator stock photos. I'm leaning toward the dark brown - it looks really sharp but is it too overstated? We tend to keep our cars a long time so I want something that is not going to look too dated in 10 years.

Also, I didn't add in the adaptive damping suspension (an extra $1k). Is it worth it in the Q5?
Dark Brown Walnut

Dark Brown Walnut
High Gloss Gray Oak
High Gloss Gray Oak
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally like the gray oak. But that's my preference. Get whatever you think looks best.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:30 AM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The natural fine grain ash is totally worth the $850 especially with nougat brown interior.
And, yes, ADS is totally worth the extra $1k. Several threads here about it.Will the extra $1850 matter 10 years from now? It will if you wished you had.

Last edited by TYJ; 12-31-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the brown seats, I'd go with the walnut. Otherwise, grey oak.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for gray oak.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would personally choose the Walnut trim. The brown theme from the seats just adds a nice matching extension or flow from the seats and arm rests through the rest of the otherwise black finish of the cockpit. It makes for a nice belt line.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The inlays are a toss up to me. They both look great. Do you want the inlay to match the seats or the dash? To me that would decide it. If I as making the choice I would match the s sts. It adds a bit more rich brown to a mostly black/gray cabin.

For me the suspension is easier. You need adaptive suspension if you hate the ride of the steel spring suspension that comes standard or you find a need to tighten it beyond the standard suspension. The first situation I can buy, but struggle with anyone having a reason they need to eek out the minute performance gain a tighter suspension give them in a crossover. If handling is that important then you wouldn’t be looking at a top heavy vehicle that focuses on utility, not performance. I’d expect most people who have it pick one of the available calibration settings and never touch it.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple things that I don't like about any color of gloss inlays:

1. Reflection/glare from the sun.
2. Micro scratches that appear in the finish no matter how careful you clean inlays.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

The walnut wood is old fashioned and classic, with the classic high-gloss finish. The grey oak is fashion-forward and modern, matte and texturized. Only you can decide which look you prefer, but they are very different. Personally, the high-gloss walnut looks like fake plastic at first glance, and the textured oak is something different and new. Personally, I've had my fair share of walnut trimmed cars.....I'd be ready for something complealty new and would pick the grey oak in a heartbeat.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked the Natural Fine Grain Ash inlay in my Gray Paint/Black Leather Q5, and I think it looks great. I picked this because the glossy accents looked too high-class/old-fashioned for me. The Natural wood has a very understated look that I really like.

If you are going with the brown leather though, I think your choice of the dark brown walnut looks the best.

Whatever you do, don't go with the Aluminum Rhombus inlays option, it looks hideous and cheesy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordered my first Audi! Help me with inlay & suspension decisions...