Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Window Tint

Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Window Tint

I've got an appointment Monday to tint my front windows - I think the law in New York state is 30% blockage / 70% visibility. Does anyone know what percentages come stock? The rear windows are very dark...if I had to guess they look like 60 or more % blocked. The front windows are super light...maybe 5 or 10 percent? Ideally I would love to match the rears but I don't want to get a ticket either. Would love to hear of anyone's experience with tinting, esp in New York State as it concerns getting tickets.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I ended up getting a 35% tint on the front windows and am thrilled with the results. The match is actually very close with the rears....in this pic the fronts are on the right and you can tell they are just a shade lighter, but honestly from most angles looking at the car they match very well.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
So I ended up getting a 35% tint on the front windows and am thrilled with the results. The match is actually very close with the rears....in this pic the fronts are on the right and you can tell they are just a shade lighter, but honestly from most angles looking at the car they match very well.
Thanks for posting your results @Benzie
I was thinking about whether or not to tint the front windows on my Q5 when I get it.
I ordered the Black package for my vehicle so I'm going to wait and see what it looks like and then decide if I want the front windows any darker.
I don't want it to just look like one big monotone Black thing.

Last edited by JonnyRotten; 10-28-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad you could use the info! I'm definitely after the one big black thing look....that's why the black winter wheels and chrome delete on the window trim and exhaust tips. Now all I need are some nice 2 5/8" round Audi rings badges to put on the wheel center caps, and I'll be done.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
Glad you could use the info! I'm definitely after the one big black thing look....that's why the black winter wheels and chrome delete on the window trim and exhaust tips. Now all I need are some nice 2 5/8" round Audi rings badges to put on the wheel center caps, and I'll be done.
What about the roof rails? Are you gonna leave them silver?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I plan on leaving the roof rails and mirrors alone. The car came with the roof rack cross bars, so I want to be able to use those without worrying about damaging a color finish. I read a post on here awhile back - someone was saying that he wouldn't buy a Q5 because the car looked too feminine to him. It was the first time I read that but I have to admit I agreed with him to a certain extent....and I thought the shape most responsible for that trait was the silver window trim especially the corner at the bottom of the windshield...the way the line arcs up from there looks to me like a woman's eye. I'm really happy with the way the car looks now that that accent is gone, and the roof rails with the mirrors, to me, further camouflage the shape by placing different accents which draw your eye in a different direction. Of course this is completely subjective but I'm much happier with how the car looks now from all angles. I'm totally obsessed with this vehicle....love it more every day. Audi has a real winner here if the SQ proves to be reliable with the air suspension and all the doo dads.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to stay legal you need to use a tint that is 80% that will bring you down to about 65% visibility, the police will not bother you at 65% since it is pretty much a clear film Llumar Air 80 is great film and I used it on another car for the fronts and the Windshield since it has a generous % of heat rejection without being dark, I left the rest of the car with 35% on the rear and had a friend used his department issued tint reader or whatever they call it measure them, front windows with Llumar air 80 was 63% and the 35% rears came back at 14% their meters are exaggerated in my opinion but whatever.
I believe that the OEM tint it is already at around 72% or 75% on most cars.
I hope that you " know a Guy" to do your inspection because the new law went into effect last year and it will not pass inspection at 35% unless they do you a favor
my inspection shop passed me the first time but told me that I need to at least remove the front tints ( I had 35% all around before the Llumar air) and I did and although the rears are illegal too he passes me anyways ( SUV's rear tint are legal not on sedans or hatchbacks)
the chances of getting a ticket for tints are very low and you can always find a shop that will pass you anyways
Old 10-31-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There’s almost no tint you could put on top that is light enough. If you want to troll the police, leave a 2” strip around the edges untinted - they won’t be able to get the meter over the tint