AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer fluid?

which brand is good?
dealership’s is diffrent like others which from safeway
Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't use the Rain-X type it will clog the lines. I use the cheap brand only because it is what the dealer uses.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I buy the stuff from Costco because it's cheap and it works with no issues. Depending on how cold your area gets, just pick a blend that handles the temperature. I've found where I live, I get better results with the -40 fluid because it doesn't freeze to the windshield like some of the higher temperature stuff does.

For the record, whatever Audi ships from the factory (at least in my car) was absolute garbage. Seems to be a much higher temp fluid.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texasDFWS4
Don't use the Rain-X type it will clog the lines. I use the cheap brand only because it is what the dealer uses.
I hate Rain X, I think it is worse than having dirty windows. I buy the 20/10 Windshield cleaner in the CONCENTRATED small green bottle, not the pre mixed. That way I can mix it stronger and I like the way it works, whatever is in my AUDI oem reservoir seems to work as well.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

I have been using Rainx to coat my windshield for years, and starting using the Rainx fluid when it came out several years ago. I have never had a clog but I guess that is something to look out for. I guess it is a matter of taste. I like driving without my windshield wipers on in most rainn. When I Lived in NJ there was a law that said when your WS wipers were on, you had to turn on your headlights. Well I got around that... (G)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use anything other than the Rain-X stuff which will ruin your washer fluid reservoir sensor and you'll eventually get low fluid warnings even when your tank is full, and you'll have to swap out the entire tank to get rid of the warning since the sensor isn't sold separately iirc.

Most washer fluid is just a mix of methanol and water, so it really doesn't make that much difference.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Use anything other than the Rain-X stuff which will ruin your washer fluid reservoir sensor and you'll eventually get low fluid warnings even when your tank is full, and you'll have to swap out the entire tank to get rid of the warning since the sensor isn't sold separately iirc.

Most washer fluid is just a mix of methanol and water, so it really doesn't make that much difference.
I am assuming this is a Audi thing because I have been using RainX in my cars for years without this or any other issue. ???
Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some have had luck running rubbing alcohol for a bit and it cleans the sensor and the tubes but still a pain.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I am assuming this is a Audi thing because I have been using RainX in my cars for years without this or any other issue. ???
The maker of Rain-X has been hit with a class action lawsuit alleging it deceived consumers by indicating its windshield washer fluid was suitable for use in all mass-produced vehicles. Consumers have complained that their low-fluid indicator lights wouldn’t shut off after filling their cars with Rain-X – and the lawsuit says this problem stems from the fact that the product isn’t compatible with certain vehicles. According to the suit, Rain-X shouldn’t be used in cars made by:
  • Volkswagen
  • Audi
  • Mini Cooper
  • BMW
  • Mercedes Benz
  • Chrysler
In some cases, consumers have complained that the Rain-X products actually corroded or otherwise damaged their washer fluid sensors – a problem that cost them hundreds of dollars to fix. Unfortunately, the makers of Rain-X are reportedly refusing to cover these costs.

According to the lawsuit, the manufacturer knew Rain-X could cause sensor problems in some vehicles, but failed to provide warnings on its website and products’ packaging and even hid this information from consumers. The suit claims that damage from the wiper fluid has been so rampant that some car makers have taken it upon themselves to send technical service bulletins to dealerships about the problem.
Many have suffered with this problem due to using the various Rainx products. Old news.

https://www.classaction.org/rain-x-lawsuit

Old 11-17-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Many have suffered with this problem due to using the various Rainx products. Old news.

https://www.classaction.org/rain-x-lawsuit
Thanks, I use this in my Audi and my Wife's BMW. I guess I will have to use another product and just keep treating the glass manually.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid?