AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Windshield Wiper Functionality - Horrible!!! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/windshield-wiper-functionality-horrible-2981319/)

kubica 10-22-2019 10:02 AM

Windshield Wiper Functionality - Horrible!!!

In our BMW, you can activate "auto" wipers by pressing a button at the end of the stalk (which activates the rear wiper in an Audi).

Because of this, the wiper stalk remains in its "off" or lowest position, allowing you to still press down and get the one-sweep feature, if the auto setting isn't clearing water frequently enough, regardless of how you have the delay set.

In my Audi, you have to push the stalk upwards, past a detent, in order to activate the "auto" feature.

As a result of this, if for whatever reason you'd like to activate the one-sweep while "auto" is activated, you have to push the stalk down, past its detent and downwards to activate the one-sweep feature. You then repeat the procedure by again, pushing it upwards, past the detent, into the auto position.

It doesn't sound like much when I'm typing it here, but driving in two hours of rain yesterday that never necessitated activating the wipers in constant "low" speed, it drove me mad, as even in it's shortest interval setting, the wipers weren't clearing the windshield quickly enough...and yes, I've had the dealer adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor.

I must have activated, incredibly awkwardly and clumsily, the one-sweep feature about 50 times.

Seamless in our BMW, nothing short of aggravating in my Audi.

Rant over...

patmurphey 10-22-2019 10:07 AM

Works just fine for me in auto at all levels of rain or mist. :D

ronsal 10-22-2019 10:17 AM

But what about using the very small lever embedded in the stalk, with its 4 markings? In the auto position, if there is no water on the windshield, the wipers will be parked. If water is sensed on the windshield the wipers will then be activated. Depending on which of the 4 positions will decide the frequency of the sweeps.

Shobaffum 10-22-2019 10:28 AM

I've also noticed that the auto wipers in my last 3 Audis don't wipe enough at low speeds (< 30mph), no matter what sensitivity they're set to. I've taken to flipping the sensitivity switch left-then-right to get a single wipe.

PaulW 10-22-2019 12:36 PM

I have to say that I am not impressed with the auto wipers so far with the SQ5, on the 2010 Q5 they were flawless......now it just seems that they don't wipe enough. I will have to see if I can change the sensitivity with VCDS.

AFOURIA 10-22-2019 05:01 PM

Rather than turning Auto off and then pushing down for one wipe and then turning Auto on again, just go up one click to "low" and then back to Auto.

jeffrey r 10-23-2019 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by AFOURIA (Post 25378861)
Rather than turning Auto off and then pushing down for one wipe and then turning Auto on again, just go up one click to "low" and then back to Auto.

Yes, this is what I do when I need a quick wipe before getting up to speed. Would be nice to get immediate wiping upon startup with the auto wipers, but this step is minimally annoying. Once moving, I find the auto wipers work just fine. And as noted, you can adjust the sensitivity with the setting on the stalk. No real issue here IMHO.

jimho 10-23-2019 04:52 AM

Thought it was just me...

I was going to mention it to the dealer on my next visit. I'm finding the auto wipers unpredictable. I suspect that the amount of daylight has something to do with it. In light rain and at night I can't seem to dial it in right. The auto wipers on my 04 m3 work much better.

On the Audi, It seems like the slider controls the delay as opposed to on the BMW which adjusts the sensitivity. I've had times in heavier rain when it doesn't run fast enough and times in light rain where it runs too fast... regardless of the slider position.

rbreeze 10-23-2019 05:36 AM

I also find the behavior of the auto wipers to be inconsistent. The wipers on my Q5 don't wipe often enough with the vehicle at low vehicle speeds (or when stopped). It's even worse of course when there's a fine mist happening. I guess water droplet size can influence the operation of Audi's rain sense system. My previous cars (all Cadillac models) never had this inconsistency issue. During extended rainy periods I sometimes switch over the wiper system in the MMI from "rain sensor" mode to "intermittent" mode. If anyone finds a way to change the sensitivity of the rain sensor system (using VCDS or OBDeleven) please post the information.

On the topic of wipers I'd also like to find a way (using the OBDeleven) to disable the "automatic" rear wiper function when Reverse gear is selected with the front wiper system activated.

Regards, Richard

ronsal 10-24-2019 04:57 PM

@rbreeze
Amen to being able to disable the rear wiper automatically activating if the wipers on and then going into reverse. Real pia if the wipers are in Auto position and backing up and hearing the rear wiper scrape dry glass.......AAARRRGGGHH