Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Winter tires necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyltonmr
I just bought a new ‘18 SQ5 and they have the 21” summer tires. How much of a difference will using a winter set make in snow?

Night and day. Summer tires will be awful and dangerous. You'll wonder why you bothered with all wheel drive.

Can I get by occasional snow without a winter set
Not well and not safely.

or should I invest in a set of winter wheels?
Yes.

Which size would be best? I see 18, 19, or 20” are available.
There's no "best". You have to trade off handling, ride, appearance, and cost. The bigger the wheel, the stiffer the ride, the tighter the handling, the nicer the appearance and the higher the cost. IMO, handling and ride are not as critical in winter months and most winter tires don't really live up to the "performance" label. Plus, this is a crossover after all. We have 18" winter wheels that we bought from Costco and they look decent - far better than steelies.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyltonmr
I just bought a new ‘18 SQ5 and they have the 21” summer tires. How much of a difference will using a winter set make in snow? Can I get by occasional snow without a winter set or should I invest in a set of winter wheels? Which size would be best? I see 18, 19, or 20” are available.
If after reading all of the above postings, which are saying go w/dedicated winter wheels/tires, which I also pretty much agree with, I would suggest looking at TireRack. They have wheel/tire packages for 18, 19 & 20's. If you plug in your vehicle, what comes up is all stuff dedicated to the SQ5 - anything will fit that is on those pages. The 19" selection seems to be the largest, and you can go from 1200 and up for a complete package.

Good luck whatever you do.......
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your SQ5's summer tires should not be driven below 7 C (45 F).

For best traction and safety in snow, consider 18" or 19" winter tires and wheels. The smaller the wheel and the narrower tire, the better.

Tire Rack is a good source of information.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SLLAuWo
Your SQ5's summer tires should not be driven below 7 C (45 F).

For best traction and safety in snow, consider 18" or 19" winter tires and wheels. The smaller the wheel and the narrower tire, the better.

Tire Rack is a good source of information.
Solid advice.
The following is meant only to nuance the underlined part of this advice as it is really only true in deep snow - which most urban drivers do not encounter very often - and really it is the width of the tire patch, not the diameter of the wheel that aids in deep snow traction. The offset is that you lose some traction on plowed and icy surfaces.

I've never read anything convincing that explains why a smaller diameter wheel is truly better in snow, other than that smaller wheels are typically (although not always) narrower.

FWIW, we went with 235/60/18s on my wife's Q5. The OEM wheels take 235/55/19 tires - there is no way I would go to 195s or 205s to get any appreciable and occasional deep snow advantage as a trade-off for losing 10-15% of the tires' contact patch for when the roads are bare or icy which must be about 95% of the winter in these parts.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Glacialone
Solid advice.
The following is meant only to nuance the underlined part of this advice as it is really only true in deep snow - which most urban drivers do not encounter very often - and really it is the width of the tire patch, not the diameter of the wheel that aids in deep snow traction. The offset is that you lose some traction on plowed and icy surfaces.

I've never read anything convincing that explains why a smaller diameter wheel is truly better in snow, other than that smaller wheels are typically (although not always) narrower.

FWIW, we went with 235/60/18s on my wife's Q5. The OEM wheels take 235/55/19 tires - there is no way I would go to 195s or 205s to get any appreciable and occasional deep snow advantage as a trade-off for losing 10-15% of the tires' contact patch for when the roads are bare or icy which must be about 95% of the winter in these parts.
I'm not sure that the smaller diameter of the wheel offers any advantage in terms of out right performance either in deep snow or on ice, with regard to the contact patch. What the smaller diameter wheel does do for you is offer more options for different snow tires, since snow tires are more commonly made for smaller diameter wheels - you will find more snow tires for 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels than you will find for 20 and 21 inch while keeping the revs per mile (outside diameter of tire) the same. Also, taller sidewalls help with the generally rougher terrain of winter roads in terms of absorbing potholes and other road imperfections which are more common on winter roads and less easily avoided while driving.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Benzie
I'm not sure that the smaller diameter of the wheel offers any advantage in terms of out right performance either in deep snow or on ice, with regard to the contact patch. What the smaller diameter wheel does do for you is offer more options for different snow tires, since snow tires are more commonly made for smaller diameter wheels - you will find more snow tires for 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels than you will find for 20 and 21 inch while keeping the revs per mile (outside diameter of tire) the same. Also, taller sidewalls help with the generally rougher terrain of winter roads in terms of absorbing potholes and other road imperfections which are more common on winter roads and less easily avoided while driving.
I agree - there's zero advantage to the taller sidewall you get with a smaller wheel other than (as you suggest) a bigger selection of tires, lower price, and (arguably) more cushioning for potholes and the like. Cost and selection were the only reason why I went with 18" for the winter tires/wheels on the Q5 (vs the stock 19s).
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Smaller wheels, while keeping the same overall diameter, will offer more sidewall compliance.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glacialone
I agree - there's zero advantage to the taller sidewall you get with a smaller wheel other than (as you suggest) a bigger selection of tires, lower price, and (arguably) more cushioning for potholes and the like. Cost and selection were the only reason why I went with 18" for the winter tires/wheels on the Q5 (vs the stock 19s).
Yeah, well a couple of things I find that car owners don't always appricate when it comes to fitting different tires/wheels. 1) The importance (for speedo/odo accuracy and correct operation of the tranny) of maintaining the factory original rolling circumference even while changing rim diameter and 2) the huge difference in ride quality even just one inch in rim size can make since tire sidewalls are a primary suspension component. My summer wheels have 20 inch rims and my winters have 18's. Let me tell you, replacing 2" of aluminum with rubber sidewall makes a night and day difference in ride quality - my winter wheels ride like pillows in comparison. Now of course there are other variables like tire pressure and rubber compound that come into play, but all things being equal with tire pressures adjusted correctly according to load and load rating of the tire, it is not debatable that one will give a more plush ride and more protection for your suspension and rims from potholes. Also not debatable is that the handling and quickness of steering will suffer with taller sidewalls since handling is the main reason for low profile tires in the first place (well that and fashion for some) and at the same time the reason they're not needed or even practical on winter roads in inclament weather.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, well a couple of things I find that car owners don't always appricate when it comes to fitting different tires/wheels. 1) The importance (for speedo/odo accuracy and correct operation of the tranny) of maintaining the factory original rolling circumference even while changing rim diameter and 2) the huge difference in ride quality even just one inch in rim size can make since tire sidewalls are a primary suspension component. My summer wheels have 20 inch rims and my winters have 18's. Let me tell you, replacing 2" of aluminum with rubber sidewall makes a night and day difference in ride quality - my winter wheels ride like pillows in comparison. Now of course there are other variables like tire pressure and rubber compound that come into play, but all things being equal with tire pressures adjusted correctly according to load and load rating of the tire, it is not debatable that one will give a more plush ride and more protection for your suspension and rims from potholes. Also not debatable is that the handling and quickness of steering will suffer with taller sidewalls since handling is the main reason for low profile tires in the first place (well that and fashion for some) and at the same time the reason they're not needed or even practical on winter roads in inclament weather.
Well said.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree. In my household, we've gone only 1" down for winter wheels for each of our rides - my wife's Q5 and my CTS and I notice a slightly more compliant ride but a huge difference in road feel. 2" of sidewall would be very noticeable.

Quick Reply: Winter tires necessary?