Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Winter tires necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very happy with my Pirelli Scorpion Winter in 255/45-20. They ride nice and stick pretty well.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to piggyback off this thread, has anyone ever used snow chains on the 21 inch wheels? I am swapping out the summer tires with the Pirelli zero+ a/s next week but also thinking of picking up a set of chains "just in case". I read though that audi specifically states never to use chains and wondering why that is?
Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

You can use snow chains but not sure whether they are available for that tire size. They also need to be less than 13.5mm in height, and only go on the rear wheels. I don't have a set for the SQ5 yet but had them for my allroad and they got me unstuck twice....definitely will get them again. Practise putting them on a couple times so when you're really stuck you'll at least be already familiar with what you need to do. I'm having trouble uploading the picture here on my cell phone but if you have the manual check page 340 where snow chains are discussed.

Last edited by Benzie; 12-08-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Benzie
You can use snow chains but not sure whether they are available for that tire size. They also need to be less than 13.5mm in height, and only go on the rear wheels. I don't have a set for the SQ5 yet but had them for my allroad and they got me unstuck twice....definitely will get them again. Practise putting them on a couple times so when you're really stuck you'll at least be already familiar with what you need to do. I'm having trouble uploading the picture here on my cell phone but if you have the manual check page 340 where snow chains are discussed.
I remember having to sign some paper when I made my purchase that specifically said I will never use chains on my tires.

I am thinking of picking these up. It says it will work for the my tire size 265/40R21 and rated for class "S" clearance although the sidewall measurement says 15 mm. Do you think these would work?
https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-c...tirechains/727
Old 12-09-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by codeBruin
I remember having to sign some paper when I made my purchase that specifically said I will never use chains on my tires.

I am thinking of picking these up. It says it will work for the my tire size 265/40R21 and rated for class "S" clearance although the sidewall measurement says 15 mm. Do you think these would work?
https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-c...tirechains/727
I wouldn't use them because they're larger than recommended. That also happens to be the reason I haven't purchased any chains yet, because I was unsure about clearance issues. Imagine how ugly it could be if the chains got caught up on something - myself I will be sticking with the mfg. limit of 13.5 mm. You must be leasing your car. I'm leasing mine too....I'm gonna review my paperwork and make sure I don't have the same prohibition.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Benzie
I wouldn't use them because they're larger than recommended. That also happens to be the reason I haven't purchased any chains yet, because I was unsure about clearance issues. Imagine how ugly it could be if the chains got caught up on something - myself I will be sticking with the mfg. limit of 13.5 mm. You must be leasing your car. I'm leasing mine too....I'm gonna review my paperwork and make sure I don't have the same prohibition.
I actually am not leasing it. I don't know why they made me sign that paper. I am wondering if the air suspension affects it?

I found ones that should work though. These only have a footprint of 6.3 mm. I think this set on the rear tires and placing the car in off-road mode should work fine (based on the snow chain section in the manual).
https://www.peerlesschain.com/brands...6-tire-chains/
Old 12-10-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by codeBruin
Just to piggyback off this thread, has anyone ever used snow chains on the 21 inch wheels? I am swapping out the summer tires with the Pirelli zero+ a/s next week but also thinking of picking up a set of chains "just in case". I read though that audi specifically states never to use chains and wondering why that is?

Not sure on the Q5, but on the A/S8 there isn't enough clearance between the tire and the front suspension to allow for chains.....