Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Dynamic Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dynamic Steering

Hello All,

Can anyone explain the dynamic steering on the 2018 Q 5 option?

Is it just just simply making to car easy to maneuver?

thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...namic-steering
Old 10-16-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
Hello All,

Can anyone explain the dynamic steering on the 2018 Q 5 option?

Is it just just simply making to car easy to maneuver?

thanks!
. I was interested in this feature for my recently purchased sq5. My dealer had 35 sq5’s in inventory, lots of Prestige level, and not one had dynamic steering! They just didn’t think enough people would care. The regular steering is already speed sensitive, it firms up at higher speeds so I guess it’s just more sophisticated. I have no complaints with the steering although I wouldn’t have minded test driving the option. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The Dynamic Steering is fairly controversial. IMO, it's widely misunderstood. I have it in my RS5 and I love it, especially in conjunction with the sport differential. They work hand in hand. The changing ratio is great for daily driving and what many don't realize is that the ratio only changes in Comfort and Auto mode. In Dynamic mode it keeps the ratio fixed for sporty predictable driving at a fairly direct ratio. More direct than the standard steering, aka more sporty. In Comfort and Auto mode, the steering becomes very direct at parking lot speeds for easy maneuvering and parking and more indirect at high speed for more comfortable and effortless straight line tracking. It really gives you options for both daily driving and sporty driving all in one. Then there is the part that the system is integrated into the ESP that allows it to make minor corrections on its own much quicker than even a rally driver could to further minimize understeer and/or oversteer depending on the situation and Drive Select mode.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The Dynamic Steering is fairly controversial. IMO, it's widely misunderstood. I have it in my RS5 and I love it, especially in conjunction with the sport differential. They work hand in hand. The changing ratio is great for daily driving and what many don't realize is that the ratio only changes in Comfort and Auto mode. In Dynamic mode it keeps the ratio fixed for sporty predictable driving at a fairly direct ratio. More direct than the standard steering, aka more sporty. In Comfort and Auto mode, the steering becomes very direct at parking lot speeds for easy maneuvering and parking and more indirect at high speed for more comfortable and effortless straight line tracking. It really gives you options for both daily driving and sporty driving all in one. Then there is the part that the system is integrated into the ESP that allows it to make minor corrections on its own much quicker than even a rally driver could to further minimize understeer and/or oversteer depending on the situation and Drive Select mode.
Thanks for the feedback on the dynamic steering. It’s not a very expensive option and if it enhances the driving experience I’m surprised more dealers don’t order it for their inventory. With it was available. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats incorrect. The ratio does change in dynamic as well per the manual. See the below screenshot from the user manual page 125.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Thats incorrect. The ratio does change in dynamic as well per the manual. See the below screenshot from the user manual page 125.
Where exactly on that screenshot does it say the ratio changes with speed in Dynamic mode? The owners manual doesn't go into the functional details. That table is a high level summary of the characteristics. It is indeed direct in Dynamic mode. The fixed ratio in dynamic mode is 14.3:1. In Comfort and Auto mode, the ratio changes dynamically from 9:1 to 18:1 depending on the speed of the car. In Comfort mode it's overall more indirect so the ratios it chooses are closer to 18:1, whereas in Auto mode it's more direct on average so the ratios are closer to 9:1. The standard steering has a fixed ratio of 15.9:1 in all modes.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-16-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where exactly on that screenshot does it say the ratio changes with speed in Dynamic mode? The owners manual doesn't go into the functional details. That table is a high level summary of the characteristics. It is indeed direct in Dynamic mode. The fixed ratio in dynamic mode is 14.3:1. In Comfort and Auto mode, the ratio changes dynamically from 9:1 to 18:1 depending on the speed of the car. In Comfort mode it's overall more indirect so the ratios it chooses are closer to 18:1, whereas in Auto mode it's more direct on average so the ratios are closer to 9:1. The standard steering has a fixed ratio of 15.9:1 in all modes.
The manual states the steering is 'direct/sporty' implying there is indeed a change over the auto mode. While it does not state the specific ratios, the language is clear. If this is incorrect I'm fine being wrong. I'm simply going off what the manual states. The balanced /direct of auto implies there is a change compared to dynamic so clearly they aren't the same.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
The manual states the steering is 'direct/sporty' implying there is indeed a change over the auto mode. While it does not state the specific ratios, the language is clear. If this is incorrect I'm fine being wrong. I'm simply going off what the manual states. The balanced /direct of auto implies there is a change compared to dynamic so clearly they aren't the same.
I never said they were the same. The level of steering assist is different in each mode and the ratios are as I explained above.

Dynamic Steering:

Comfort: Ratio: Changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio: Changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio: 14.3:1, speed sensitive low level of assist

Standard Steering:

Comfort: Ratio:15.9:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio: 15.9:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio: 15:9:1, speed sensitive low level of assist

Hopefully that finally clicks.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-16-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I never said they were the same. The level of steering assist is different in each mode and the ratios are as I explained above.

Dynamic Steering:

Comfort: Ratio: Changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio: Changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio: 14.3:1, speed sensitive low level of assist

Standard Steering:

Comfort: Ratio:15.9:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio: 15.9:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio: 15:9:1, speed sensitive low level of assist

Hopefully that finally clicks.
Thank you for posting that. I didn't mean to come off the wrong way with my earlier comment. I tend to take things as they're written until something proves otherwise in the manual. That's some great information! Where did you find it out of curiosity?

Quick Reply: Dynamic Steering