Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Yet Another Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by patmurphey
I would think that you would all be more sensitive to the risks cops take at a traffic stop, especially if they can't see in. Laws are there for a reason.
A lot of states have no limits, or very lax ones on widnow tint . Arizona, Texas, New Meixco, Oklahoma etc are some of the better states when it comes to tint laws. I see no issue with 15% up front even if you can't see in. There's a reason patrol cars have spot lights and keep their lights on. Yes, you can't always see inside right away but that's the reality of things. No one wants CA ''tint' or basically clear because it negates why people get tint. If you notice the more conservative states have ''better" tint laws.
Note: I'm not advocating for either party and do not care for politics.

IveI lived all of over the US from CA to MA including AZ, NC, PA and some others. PA was more open by saying: "No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle." I.e. you could go dark on the sides and back if they could see you through the windshield. I had 15% up front and 5% everywhere else and never had any issue during my 4 years living there.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I see no issue with 15% up front even if you can't see in. There's a reason patrol cars have spot lights and keep their lights on. Yes, you can't always see inside right away but that's the reality of things.
Might take issue with that if I’m the guy whose life is on the line as I’m walking up to someone who has some suspicious activity going on prior to the pull over. But I agree with the position that CA and NY approaches this with usual overkill. (Don’t get me started on out of control, beard scratching do gooders pushing the nanny state on us).

To outlaw any tint on the front windows is patently absurd.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jaims

Might take issue with that if I’m the guy whose life is on the line as I’m walking up to someone who has some suspicious activity going on prior to the pull over. But I agree with the position that CA and NY approaches this with usual overkill. (Don’t get me started on out of control, beard scratching do gooders pushing the nanny state on us).

To outlaw any tint on the front windows is patently absurd.
I understand the danger of darker windows from their perspective. In reality people can get illegal window tint and do the same thing, likewise the majority of people don't max out their tint %. I don't see the issue when therest only a small subsect of the population who gets the legal limit and an even smaller one who doesn't follow the law. States with laws that are overly strict are more likely to have people disregard the law an go darker than states with more lax requirements based on my experience.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Other side of the coin... I cannot fathom why some people never tint their windows.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
Other side of the coin... I cannot fathom why some people never tint their windows.
Me! I wouldn't dream of adding anything that reduces night vision, AND with Silver and light grey interior I don't suffer from the heating that all of you black on black fans have to deal with.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by patmurphey
Me! I wouldn't dream of adding anything that reduces night vision, AND with Silver and light grey interior I don't suffer from the heating that all of you black on black fans have to deal with.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not here. Anyway, unless you live in therethe m of nowhere normal tint barely affects night vision and in fact helps with dumb drivers using high beams behind you.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Window Tinting is actually very good...but then..one should obey the laws of his/her country..
Old 01-09-2021, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I think I speak for all members in remarking that we’ve been waiting for over 2 years for a thought provoking post as this. Will surely be pondering it for many days to come as there is much to process. Thanks Tint School owner.

Last edited by jaims; 01-09-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone have any experience installing electric window tint? That is a thing....you can switch the tint on or off at the touch of a button. Since the law is changing here in NY (my mechanic warned me next year I won't pass inspection for my side front window tints) I'm seriously considering going electric to match the rears.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
Anyone have any experience installing electric window tint? That is a thing....you can switch the tint on or off at the touch of a button. Since the law is changing here in NY (my mechanic warned me next year I won't pass inspection for my side front window tints) I'm seriously considering going electric to match the rears.
For whatever reason when I got my CPO 18 SQ5 from Audi dealer in NY they passed it for NYSI even though front side windows are tinted (previous life was in TX) so will probably have to take off to pass the next NYSI this August.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Window Tint Question