Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

07 Q7 has humming noise...

Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GTPlus
To check if it is a wheel bearing. Make a long wide turn at the speed when it is loudest. I usually use an exit or entrance ramp on a freeway. The noise should change or get quieter while turning.

If your turn right, and the noise reduces or goes away, it might be the left wheel bearing. If you turn left is would be the right wheel bearing. This is because you will load the bearing on the outside of the turn quieting the noise.

The wheel bearings on the Q7 are huge. So you will probably not feel or hear anything by turning it with your hands or looking for play. But an overheated or damaged race in the bearing will still make noise.

A humming noise at that speed could also be tires, so don't rule those out either. Just a standard tire rotation service should help pin point a noisy tire.

Thanks for the tips! I will try.

Here is what i have tried:

1. I had sent car to Audi dealer for gas pump recall service, asked them to check left wheel bearing. When I picked up my car later, they told me that nothing wrong with your left bearing, rather it is transfer box issue.

2. since I hear the noise is from front left wheel, I did jacked up left where off the ground and put in N and spin the wheel, checked the play.... No noise, no vibration, no play.

3. I then jacked up left wheel, applied the break firmly, started the car and put it in D ... at this point only the lifted up wheel is turning at idle, and applied break lightly to slow down the wheel turning speed..... No noise, no vibration can be heard.

3. I have not really tested when tuning car right or left. But during normal driving at the speed that makes loudest noise/resonance, I set it to D and N many times and don't see any difference of changing in pitch.

4, I have not roated tires as i think the noise/resonance is from metal tontact but will have tires roated/balanced soon.

At this point, I strongly believe it is bearing or CV joint issue; the level of noise/resonance i can hear before the play can be noticeable .... Since I already bought *** bearing, and "FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Removal Adapter Puller Pulley Tool Kit", I'm going to replace it sometime soon. Has anyone replaced Q7 bearing before and can share your experience. If this tool does not work, is 6 tons press good enough or I need 12 tons press? Looks like it only has one front snap ring so what size (outer) of cup I need to use to remove the bearing? What jaw opening size of bearing separator I need, like 4 3/8", to remove the wheel hub? There is no particular YouTube video i can find to get those details... So if you did this before, much appreciate in advice for sharing the experience!

Last edited by leeelooo; 04-21-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by leeelooo
Thanks for the tips! I will try.

Here is what i have tried:

1. I had sent car to Audi dealer for gas pump recall service, asked them to check left wheel bearing. When I picked up my car later, they told me that nothing wrong with your left bearing, rather it is transfer box issue.

2. since I hear the noise is from front left wheel, I did jacked up left where off the ground and put in N and spin the wheel, checked the play.... No noise, no vibration, no play.

3. I then jacked up left wheel, applied the break firmly, started the car and put it in D ... at this point only the lifted up wheel is turning at idle, and applied break lightly to slow down the wheel turning speed..... No noise, no vibration can be heard.

3. I have not really tested when tuning car right or left. But during normal driving at the speed that makes loudest noise/resonance, I set it to D and N many times and don't see any difference of changing in pitch.

4, I have not roated tires as i think the noise/resonance is from metal tontact but will have tires roated/balanced soon.

At this point, I strongly believe it is bearing or CV joint issue; the level of noise/resonance i can hear before the play can be noticeable .... Since I already bought *** bearing, and "FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Removal Adapter Puller Pulley Tool Kit", I'm going to replace it sometime soon. Has anyone replaced Q7 bearing before and can share your experience. If this tool does not work, is 6 tons press good enough or I need 12 tons press? Looks like it only has one front snap ring so what size (outer) of cup I need to use to remove the bearing? What jaw opening size of bearing separator I need, like 4 3/8", to remove the wheel hub? There is no particular YouTube video i can find to get those details... So if you did this before, much appreciate in advice for sharing the experience!

I have done a front bearing on my Q7, and all I can say is it was one of the most difficult bearing I have done due to it's size.

Not sure what the tool is you bought, but when I googled the name, it looks just like the one I bought at Harbor Freight.

This is the one I had:Front Wheel Bearing Adapters

This one did not work. None of the cup sizes were the right sizes and it did not have the strength to press in/out the bearing. A press was necessary. I made my own cups for pressing in with an old bearing and some pipe. I don't recall the diameters or I would post them.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply which helps!

Yes, the tool I bought from eBay is similar to the one you bought from Harbor Freight.

The one I bought has the cup/sleeve size: 4.013" in which I thought it is a right fit. Based on your experience, I may need to take the knuckle off the car to let local shop to press in/out the bearing...
Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack Wu
Thanks for the reply which helps!

Yes, the tool I bought from eBay is similar to the one you bought from Harbor Freight.

The one I bought has the cup/sleeve size: 4.013" in which I thought it is a right fit. Based on your experience, I may need to take the knuckle off the car to let local shop to press in/out the bearing...
the one I had did have a 4"sleeve. Was a tad small for pressing in. Would have damaged the seal had I used it. The old bearing I made slightly smaller ended up doing the trick for pressing back in.

If I had to do it all over I would have probably found a shop to do the pressing part.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for reply! Do you still remember the size of disk used to push the bearing out?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for reply! Do you still remember the size of disk used to push the bearing out?
it was about 3 1/2 inches I think. But I'm not certain.

Last edited by GTPlus; 04-22-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks!

By looking at the back view of Knuckle:

it does not have a snap_ring, instead, it has a shoulder - thick metal ring. Can this be removed? if not, then how to push out the bearing with disk?

=
Old 04-24-2017, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!

By looking at the back view of Knuckle:

it does not have a snap_ring, instead, it has a shoulder - thick metal ring. Can this be removed? if not, then how to push out the bearing with disk?

=

Snap ring is on the other side. Press out the inner hub first. Then you will have access to the snap ring. When I pressed my center hub out, the bearing came apart and I had to pull off the center race from the hub.

Also, make sure to remove the wheel speed sensor.

Last edited by GTPlus; 04-24-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, after remove speed sensor, do you still remember how to remove that speed sensor ring. shows in this back view of Knuckle?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by leeelooo
Hi, after remove speed sensor, do you still remember how to remove that speed sensor ring. shows in this back view of Knuckle?

Not sure which part you are referring to in the picture. But the center hub has to first be pressed out from the center of the bearing. You will then have access to the snap ring on the other side of the knuckle. Then you can press out the bearing.

In my case the center race portion of the bearing came out with the center hub and had to be pulled off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 Q7 has humming noise...