Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

08 Q7 WET CARPET- help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Q7 had a wet driver side floor after rains as well. It was the sunroof....But the drains were not clogged. the nipple that plugs onto the sunroof...well where the nipple glues to the tubing...it broke free. The glue looked like it never did adhere. So I check the the other three...

And sure enough, on the other three, the glue was about ready to let go. I was soon to have all four drain tube nipples break free from the tubing. Nice design Audi!

I ended up putting some brass tubing inside the rubber tubing and then used a wire tie to secure the nipple back to the tubing. I also used just a little bit of silicone. Now the nipple thingys are attached to the tubing solidly.

So, if your getting water inside, it could be that your tubing separated from the nipple thing that plugs onto the sunroof drain. the glue on all four of mine was breaking free...one was completely detached because the glue failed.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a similar issue of soggy carpet on the driver's side mostly but also on the passenger's side. Has anyone noticed this on the Q5 as well? (I have a 2014 SQ5). Thx
Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Belated congrats for the highest number of uses of the word 'nipple' in one post!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kirkinsb
My Q7 had a wet driver side floor after rains as well. It was the sunroof....But the drains were not clogged. the nipple that plugs onto the sunroof...well where the nipple glues to the tubing...it broke free. The glue looked like it never did adhere. So I check the the other three...

And sure enough, on the other three, the glue was about ready to let go. I was soon to have all four drain tube nipples break free from the tubing. Nice design Audi!

I ended up putting some brass tubing inside the rubber tubing and then used a wire tie to secure the nipple back to the tubing. I also used just a little bit of silicone. Now the nipple thingys are attached to the tubing solidly.

So, if your getting water inside, it could be that your tubing separated from the nipple thing that plugs onto the sunroof drain. the glue on all four of mine was breaking free...one was completely detached because the glue failed.
kirkinsb, how did you got the access to those nipples? Did you take interior panels out?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC
is there a diy for cleaning them out? or just get a spedometer cable and open the roof, find the drain and poke?
Edit: I found your pic:
Where did this image come from ? is there a specific repair manual you use or you could recommend that would have this kind of information for everything regarding the Q7 ?