Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2007 Q7 Fuse box, amp, wet in rear area

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Q7 Fuse box, amp, wet in rear area

Just picked up this really nice 2007 AUDI Q7 4.2 QUATTRO PREMIUM VIN: WA1BV74L17D089422 with 78k miles all service done by Audi at or before the service was due. Runs beautifully however one problem that seems to have grown.

The person/dealer we purchased it from had an issue with the mute button, it would not unmute. Was told to take it to Audi and they would enter the "code" to unlock the radio so we can have music. Suffice to say that did not work and the dealer removed our backup camera when they ran the diagnosis and updated the software. We took it back once we realized what they did and was told they did not touch that part of the vehicle...we are getting a refund on this since they screwed something up.

In searching the web, I found some information about this issue that it could be a bad amp (the dealer replaced it already), so ruling that out, for now, the second was the MMI board in between the driver and passenger seats (ordered one from Amazon and will replace myself). But last night we had a downpour and I checked the spare tire area and noticed some water and it was on the fuse box, the nav unit and I think the Sat radio unit...back to the web I go and see that the Q7's have a defect with the drainage, so pulled the panels off and ran a snake up the drain tube, no clogs and no leftover water.

Since we had a really bad downpour and my driveway is a ramp and all the water ran from front to back and I suspect with that amount of water there would be a pool in the spare tire area, it wasn't that bad but I can't seem to locate this leak.

The potential bandaid is to dry out all the units in the area, fuse box, amp, sat, nav, rear camera unit, MMI up front in case of spills, etc, and spray them with corrosion X let it dry and re-install, not sure if this will bring the units that are bad back to life but when I started the Q today the MMI went on for a few then off...

So, in summary, went from not being able to unmute to loss of back up cam, not able to re-boot via the three button method, intermittent MMI functions and now the evidence of water in the rear.

Any opinions, suggestions, and has anyone used corrosion X Corrosion Technologies makers of world famous CorrosionX and RejeX to combat this annoying leak that can't seem to be found?

Thanks in advance for all the information you folks have on here!
Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

its the sunroof drain tubes, very common.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

A 2007 doesn't have drain tubes large enough for a snake. I use an old school speedometer drive cable, and it barely fits. I had to have at least two of the drains on the old 4.2 replaced, and at least two on the 3.6 replaced. Fortunately I caught them before issues cropped up with either.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I used the cable from the garage door had a spare one. The hose is about half inch diameter and I cut it in the middle snaked up it came out of the sun roof hole then down I put a funnel and poured water it drained out easily.

tomorrow I will pull the roof down to see if the fitting is off where the hole in the sunroof meets the tube. It's possible that is where the water is running down from...

thank you
Old 06-01-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

the fitting is reversed, if it clogs up then it allows it to leak..

Bad:

Better:
Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ah I see and I assume there is only one drain for the rear.