Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2007 Q7 SLINE (RHD) Air Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With VAG-COM you can test the output of each corner and see if it changes as you move the car.

They are very easy to replace. I would try a calibration first and see if that works.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
With VAG-COM you can test the output of each corner and see if it changes as you move the car.

They are very easy to replace. I would try a calibration first and see if that works.
Thanks. I just ordered the VAG-COM ... will try your suggestion when it arrives.
In the meantime, could you point me to where to buy the level sensors from if I had to replace them?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It depends on how handy you are with fixing things.

I took the covers off the sensors and soldered the joint from the connection pins onto the board. They are just a friction fit when made and it seems to cure some of the problems. It all depends on what the problem is as to whether that works.

To buy replacements you could try a seller on Ebay called Q7 Parts - I think based in Liverpool. I think all four sensors are the same, it's just the link rod which changes. The chances are your link rods are worn or seized as well but you can fix these somewhat by pulling the ball socket apart and bit of wire brushing and then grease and force them back together in a vice.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It depends on how handy you are with fixing things.

I took the covers off the sensors and soldered the joint from the connection pins onto the board. They are just a friction fit when made and it seems to cure some of the problems. It all depends on what the problem is as to whether that works.

To buy replacements you could try a seller on Ebay called Q7 Parts - I think based in Liverpool. I think all four sensors are the same, it's just the link rod which changes. The chances are your link rods are worn or seized as well but you can fix these somewhat by pulling the ball socket apart and bit of wire brushing and then grease and force them back together in a vice.
Cheers. I will give it a go after my VAG-COM arrives on Thursday.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, I did the output tests.

1. front left & right lowered fine, show some negative readings
2. rear left & right didn't work, i.e. I couldn't see them lowering. Readings for rear tests: Rear Left = 14mm, Rear Right = 25mm

Do you think it worth replacing the sensors?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I suspect the safety check valves at the top of the rear air units are seized and not allowing any air out.

They are quite tricky to replace without removing the rear unit but it is just about possible, it all depend on your level of dexterity.

You can test this by a rather crude means. Jack up the car and support it safely. Remove the air line from the solenoid valve block that go to the rear - some air will escape. Now with those two pipes removed, try lowering the rear of the car and see if it holds at normal height or drops right down to the bump stops. If it stays at normal height the safety check valves are stuck and need replacing. If it drops very low with more air being forced out of the pipes, the check valves are probably OK. They are designed to preserve a minimum pressure of about 2.5bar in the air units to prevent complete deflation in event of a pipe becoming damaged while driving.
Here is the valve - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Cayenne-955-9PA-Front-Suspension-Strut-Air-Pressure-Valve-95535872000-02/401563307344?hash=item5d7f09cd50:g:WhAAAOSwwFNb8ze g:rk:3f:1&frcectupt=true
Old 12-14-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I suspect the safety check valves at the top of the rear air units are seized and not allowing any air out.

They are quite tricky to replace without removing the rear unit but it is just about possible, it all depend on your level of dexterity.

You can test this by a rather crude means. Jack up the car and support it safely. Remove the air line from the solenoid valve block that go to the rear - some air will escape. Now with those two pipes removed, try lowering the rear of the car and see if it holds at normal height or drops right down to the bump stops. If it stays at normal height the safety check valves are stuck and need replacing. If it drops very low with more air being forced out of the pipes, the check valves are probably OK. They are designed to preserve a minimum pressure of about 2.5bar in the air units to prevent complete deflation in event of a pipe becoming damaged while driving.
Here is the valve - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-C...frcectupt=true
I will try & give that suggestion a go.

Is it possible to test the valve with the VAG-COM?

Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They are mechanical valves so the only thing you can do is what you have already - hence the previous checks etc....

It's just a guess but it may help diagnose the fault.