Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2007 Q7 will not start after iv driven

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Q7 will not start after iv driven

Hi all I’m new to this so I’d like to say hi to you all
I have a 2007 Q7 with the 2012 upgrade when I start it up in the morning it’s fine an if I popped into the shop it will not start again to crank like it’s completly dead if I leave it for an hour to cool down it will start or if I come an start it straight up ild have to jump start it with a booster pack iv changed the battery an alternator it’s had a full service it’s wanted for nothing basically I’m just at a loose end of what to do about the dead start when it’s hot if there is something I could try or do that’ll be great
thank for reading an if you can help or point me in the right direction that’ll be great as it’s bloody annoying an inbarresing when I walk out of the shops
Old 03-14-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate, what particular model do you have, ie engine 3.0 diesel, 3.6 or 4.2 petrols
Old 03-14-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Up-it
Hey mate, what particular model do you have, ie engine 3.0 diesel, 3.6 or 4.2 petrols
hi I have the 3.0 tai Quattro
Old 03-15-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This sounds like a possible case of the starter motor solenoid failing when it becomes hot from the engines heat, as you stated it starts no worries cold. When the solenoid is hot, the contact for the armature stick closed causing no engagement when the key is on. Unfortunately it means a stater motor replacement for this one. Testing with a clamp meter is the only way to see if it pulls current when cranked hot.
secondly i have personally had a similar problem with my 4.2 a while ago that when shut down after being hot it would also crank for longs periods or not crank at all. Problem was the power supply reay #1 was sticking when hot causing no ignition signal for crank when key was turned on.

There are 2 power supply relays for the engine ECM located on lower left windscreen plastic area where all main relays and supply fuses are located for most components on the car. It apllies to all q7 models.
hope this maybe some insight on what can help cause your fault mate.

Last edited by Up-it; 03-15-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Up-it
This sounds like a possible case of the starter motor solenoid failing when it becomes hot from the engines heat, as you stated it starts no worries cold. When the solenoid is hot, the contact for the armature stick closed causing no engagement when the key is on. Unfortunately it means a stater motor replacement for this one. Testing with a clamp meter is the only way to see if it pulls current when cranked hot.
secondly i have personally had a similar problem with my 4.2 a while ago that when shut down after being hot it would also crank for longs periods or not crank at all. Problem was the power supply reay #1 was sticking when hot causing no ignition signal for crank when key was turned on.

There are 2 power supply relays for the engine ECM located on lower left windscreen plastic area where all main relays and supply fuses are located for most components on the car. It apllies to all q7 models.
hope this maybe some insight on what can help cause your fault mate.
hi thank you so much I will try the clamp meter test to see what happens there an I’ll also have a look at the relays but I might just change the starter motor then if that don’t work the it rules that one out but thanks a lot for the info most appreciated
Old 10-29-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2007 A3 S-LINE and when I dive mine and it heats up and I shut it down it will not start till it cools down or is helped by another battery I am thinking starter problem or solenoid which would be better. can anyone help
Old 03-04-2022, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Q7 won’t start

Originally Posted by Nathan Holden
Hi all I’m new to this so I’d like to say hi to you all
I have a 2007 Q7 with the 2012 upgrade when I start it up in the morning it’s fine an if I popped into the shop it will not start again to crank like it’s completly dead if I leave it for an hour to cool down it will start or if I come an start it straight up ild have to jump start it with a booster pack iv changed the battery an alternator it’s had a full service it’s wanted for nothing basically I’m just at a loose end of what to do about the dead start when it’s hot if there is something I could try or do that’ll be great
thank for reading an if you can help or point me in the right direction that’ll be great as it’s bloody annoying an inbarresing when I walk out of the shops
hi mate did you fix the issue in your car?
was that starter motor crankshaft sensor ?
Got the same issue trying to figure out what it could be?
Old 03-04-2022, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 702 Likes on 583 Posts

Did you read the rest of the thread posts?
Old 03-04-2022, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Did you read the rest of the thread posts?
Yeah I did but can’t see anything if he posted or someone posted about the issue being fixed or something unless I am
missing something
Old 03-04-2022, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 702 Likes on 583 Posts

Yes, you are missing 'something'. Please go back and reread: Up-it's post dated 3/15/2018 tells you what to do. He's also in Australia, BTW, or he was in March of 2018, anyway...the thread is 'archived'...or just old and inactive, if that helps you understand, but still relevant for research & reference purposes. If you haven't gone to new member section to learn how to use this forum and especially its' archives to your advantage, I'd suggest doing so. 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Quick Reply: 2007 Q7 will not start after iv driven